Updating operating system remotely

Post by Karl Palsso » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 00:16:30

Hi,

I'm working on a group of Windows XP Embedded based terminals that will be
placed in hard to reach places. We must be able to update the operating
system via network, without anyone coming to the site to perform the update.
I have had a look at Microsoft DUA, but I am unsure if it can do it. Well,
can it? What other possibilities are there? What are the procedures?

Karl Palsson
www.embed-it.dk

Updating operating system remotely

Post by Teddy Pa » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 07:44:08

I am trying to do the same thing too. Unfortunately DUA's documentation is
very little and it seems wrong that I cannot get it to remotely get a file.
Been posting that question on the newsgroup didn't get an answer. Seems like
nobody here knows.

  Teddy Pao

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm working on a group of Windows XP Embedded based terminals that will be
> placed in hard to reach places. We must be able to update the operating
> system via network, without anyone coming to the site to perform the
update.
> I have had a look at Microsoft DUA, but I am unsure if it can do it. Well,
> can it? What other possibilities are there? What are the procedures?

> Karl Palsson
> www.embed-it.dk

Updating operating system remotely

Post by Karl Palsso » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 02:00:07

My immediate thought is to use Linux to update XPE since other methods are
not supported in the toolkit. But it is a bit weird having to do so.

> I am trying to do the same thing too. Unfortunately DUA's documentation is
> very little and it seems wrong that I cannot get it to remotely get a
file.
> Been posting that question on the newsgroup didn't get an answer. Seems
like
> nobody here knows.

>   Teddy Pao

> > Hi,

> > I'm working on a group of Windows XP Embedded based terminals that will
be
> > placed in hard to reach places. We must be able to update the operating
> > system via network, without anyone coming to the site to perform the
> update.
> > I have had a look at Microsoft DUA, but I am unsure if it can do it.
Well,
> > can it? What other possibilities are there? What are the procedures?

> > Karl Palsson
> > www.embed-it.dk

Updating operating system remotely

Post by Teddy Pa » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 02:36:09

  Not only it is weird also I don't think Microsoft would want us to do
that.

          Teddy Pao

> My immediate thought is to use Linux to update XPE since other methods are
> not supported in the toolkit. But it is a bit weird having to do so.

> > I am trying to do the same thing too. Unfortunately DUA's documentation
is
> > very little and it seems wrong that I cannot get it to remotely get a
> file.
> > Been posting that question on the newsgroup didn't get an answer. Seems
> like
> > nobody here knows.

> >   Teddy Pao

> > > Hi,

> > > I'm working on a group of Windows XP Embedded based terminals that
will
> be
> > > placed in hard to reach places. We must be able to update the
operating
> > > system via network, without anyone coming to the site to perform the
> > update.
> > > I have had a look at Microsoft DUA, but I am unsure if it can do it.
> Well,
> > > can it? What other possibilities are there? What are the procedures?

> > > Karl Palsson
> > > www.embed-it.dk

Updating operating system remotely

Post by Anil Ingle [MS » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:47:42

Teddy...
Can you post the text of the command you are trying to use?
Thanks
--
Anil Ingle [MS]
--This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

>   Not only it is weird also I don't think Microsoft would want us to do
> that.

>           Teddy Pao

> > My immediate thought is to use Linux to update XPE since other methods
are
> > not supported in the toolkit. But it is a bit weird having to do so.

> > > I am trying to do the same thing too. Unfortunately DUA's
documentation
> is
> > > very little and it seems wrong that I cannot get it to remotely get a
> > file.
> > > Been posting that question on the newsgroup didn't get an answer.
Seems
> > like
> > > nobody here knows.

> > >   Teddy Pao

> will
> > be
> operating
> > > update.
> > Well,

Updating operating system remotely

Post by Teddy Pa » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 02:31:53

I was trying the HTTPGET command. I used the command just like the example
in the DUA's help except that I replace the host name and the file name. The
script file won't compile and it gives me an error saying the parameters are
wrong so I added more 0s in the parameter and got it to compile but when I
run the DUA in the event log it is saying my parameters are invalid.

"Anil Ingle [MS]" <anilingl"AT NOSPAMTHANKS"microsoft"dot"com> wrote in

> Teddy...
> Can you post the text of the command you are trying to use?
> Thanks
> --
> Anil Ingle [MS]
> --This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

> >   Not only it is weird also I don't think Microsoft would want us to do
> > that.

> >           Teddy Pao

> > > My immediate thought is to use Linux to update XPE since other methods
> are
> > > not supported in the toolkit. But it is a bit weird having to do so.

> documentation
> > is
> > > file.
> Seems
> > > like

> > will
> > > be
> > operating
> > > Well,
procedures?

Updating operating system remotely

Post by Anil Ingle [MS » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:13:07

Try this:
16, [ErrorMode], [ExpMd], Server, [ExpMd], RemoteFile, [ExpMd], LocalFile,
[ReplaceFile], [ProxyType], [ExpMd], [ProxyName], [ExpMd],
[ProxyByPassList], [Protocol], [Port], [ExpMd], [ProtocolVersion], [ExpMd],
[REFERRER], [AutologonLevel], [ExpMd], [UserName], [ExpMd], [Password],
[ExpMd], [ACCEPTTYPES]
where ExpMd = 0 for use following parameter as a literal
ExpMd = 1 Expand using environment on client device
ExpMd = 2 Expand using environment on Host Device (i.e. on development
system)
For ExpMd 1, or 2 specify the parameter using %ENVAR% format. i.e to use
your path in the environment, use %PATH%
HTH

--
Anil Ingle [MS]
--This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

> I was trying the HTTPGET command. I used the command just like the example
> in the DUA's help except that I replace the host name and the file name.
The
> script file won't compile and it gives me an error saying the parameters
are
> wrong so I added more 0s in the parameter and got it to compile but when I
> run the DUA in the event log it is saying my parameters are invalid.

> "Anil Ingle [MS]" <anilingl"AT NOSPAMTHANKS"microsoft"dot"com> wrote in

> > Teddy...
> > Can you post the text of the command you are trying to use?
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Anil Ingle [MS]
> > --This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights

> > >   Not only it is weird also I don't think Microsoft would want us to
do
> > > that.

> > >           Teddy Pao

> > are

> > documentation
> > > is
> > Seems

> > > will
> > > operating
> the
> it.
> procedures?

Updating operating system remotely

Post by Karl Palsso » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:20:43

Ani,

Considering my initial question, can DUA do the job and how.

"Anil Ingle [MS]" <anilingl"AT NOSPAMTHANKS"microsoft"dot"com> wrote in

> Try this:
> 16, [ErrorMode], [ExpMd], Server, [ExpMd], RemoteFile, [ExpMd], LocalFile,
> [ReplaceFile], [ProxyType], [ExpMd], [ProxyName], [ExpMd],
> [ProxyByPassList], [Protocol], [Port], [ExpMd], [ProtocolVersion],
[ExpMd],
> [REFERRER], [AutologonLevel], [ExpMd], [UserName], [ExpMd], [Password],
> [ExpMd], [ACCEPTTYPES]
> where ExpMd = 0 for use following parameter as a literal
> ExpMd = 1 Expand using environment on client device
> ExpMd = 2 Expand using environment on Host Device (i.e. on development
> system)
> For ExpMd 1, or 2 specify the parameter using %ENVAR% format. i.e to use
> your path in the environment, use %PATH%
> HTH

> --
> Anil Ingle [MS]
> --This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

> > I was trying the HTTPGET command. I used the command just like the
example
> > in the DUA's help except that I replace the host name and the file name.
> The
> > script file won't compile and it gives me an error saying the parameters
> are
> > wrong so I added more 0s in the parameter and got it to compile but when
> > run the DUA in the event log it is saying my parameters are invalid.

> > "Anil Ingle [MS]" <anilingl"AT NOSPAMTHANKS"microsoft"dot"com> wrote in

> > > Teddy...
> > > Can you post the text of the command you are trying to use?
> > > Thanks
> > > --
> > > Anil Ingle [MS]
> > > --This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> > rights

> do

> methods
> > > are
so.

> > > documentation
> get
> > > Seems

> that
> > the
> > it.
> > procedures?

Updating operating system remotely

Post by Anil Ingle [MS » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:35:46

Hi Karl..
Just reading your question I think it can.  Did you look at the command set
available to you from DUA (See the DUA help document located on your cd)? Is
it adequate?

--
Anil Ingle [MS]
--This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

> Ani,

> Considering my initial question, can DUA do the job and how.

> "Anil Ingle [MS]" <anilingl"AT NOSPAMTHANKS"microsoft"dot"com> wrote in

> > Try this:
> > 16, [ErrorMode], [ExpMd], Server, [ExpMd], RemoteFile, [ExpMd],
LocalFile,
> > [ReplaceFile], [ProxyType], [ExpMd], [ProxyName], [ExpMd],
> > [ProxyByPassList], [Protocol], [Port], [ExpMd], [ProtocolVersion],
> [ExpMd],
> > [REFERRER], [AutologonLevel], [ExpMd], [UserName], [ExpMd], [Password],
> > [ExpMd], [ACCEPTTYPES]
> > where ExpMd = 0 for use following parameter as a literal
> > ExpMd = 1 Expand using environment on client device
> > ExpMd = 2 Expand using environment on Host Device (i.e. on development
> > system)
> > For ExpMd 1, or 2 specify the parameter using %ENVAR% format. i.e to use
> > your path in the environment, use %PATH%
> > HTH

> > --
> > Anil Ingle [MS]
> > --This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights

> > > I was trying the HTTPGET command. I used the command just like the
> example
> > > in the DUA's help except that I replace the host name and the file
name.
> > The
> > > script file won't compile and it gives me an error saying the
parameters
> > are
> > > wrong so I added more 0s in the parameter and got it to compile but
when
> > > run the DUA in the event log it is saying my parameters are invalid.

> > > "Anil Ingle [MS]" <anilingl"AT NOSPAMTHANKS"microsoft"dot"com> wrote
in

> > > rights

> > do

> > methods
> so.

> > get
> answer.

> > that
> perform
> > > the
> do
> > > it.
> > > procedures?

1. two operating systems operating...!!!

hey guys
I've a problem.I tried to install windows xp professional on a system where
there was already a home edition installed.I did a clean installation
expecting that my home edition would be REPLACED by the professional
edition.But it didn't..now I've two operating systems and I need just one!
weird problem eh ? So can anyone help me uninstall and disintegrate the
other operating system..(home edition) ? Any help would be much
appreciated.Thanks

Abdullah

2. no video in wmp 8 for pocket pc, just sound

3. Operating System update ruins IE6

4. Caught Redhanded

5. Windows Update doesn't find valid operating system

6. .eml mail attachments

7. Update doesn't recognize operating system

8. Problems in XP with CD Drives

9. Update fails - "Only available for windows operating system"

10. sp1 update corrupts XP operating system

11. no operating system after McAffee update

12. Update Operating system?

13. Windows 2000 Pro- Operating System Update Facility