- Uninstalling Windows Messenger after installing MSN Messenger...

- Uninstalling Windows Messenger after installing MSN Messenger...

Post by James K Field » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 07:30:09

How do you remove Windows Messenger (4.7) from your system after installing
MSN Messenger (5.0)?

I have both running... with the Windows Messenger being associated to
Outlook and OE, and I'm trying to just run on MSN Messenger now... it's a
pain in the buttinski.

Windows Messenger does not show up in add-remove programs (control panel)
nor does it come with an uninstaller.

Help?

- Uninstalling Windows Messenger after installing MSN Messenger...

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 07:44:03

Greetings James,

You can remove Windows Messenger 4.7, but if you do, you will be preventing Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing and any other applications that utilize Messenger
from working (or loading without problems).  You can just disable Windows Messenger 4.7, by
opening it up, click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and unchecking 'Run this program when
Windows starts'.  This won't stop it from being loaded by some other application though.  As
well, you can disable it further by going to Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs,
Add/Remove Windows Components on the left, uncheck Windows Messenger in the components list
and click Next >.  This won't remove Windows Messenger, but it will let it stay out of your
way, and allow MSN Messenger 5 to work properly.

Also, see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330117 for more detailed methods.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> How do you remove Windows Messenger (4.7) from your system after installing