can xp sleep?

Post by : Sonal » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:05:19

hi
does anyone know how to enable the sleep/suspend option in xp? (if there is
one).
thx

can xp sleep?

Post by Donald McDanie » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:20:04

To put XP into Hibernation mode, make sure it is enabled in Power
Options/Hibernation.
Then do Start/Turn off Computer, then strike <Space> instead of clicking on
"Standby".

Be forewarned.. Doing this will disconnect you from the Internet..

Donald McDaniel

Quote:> hi
> does anyone know how to enable the sleep/suspend option in xp? (if there
is
> one).
> thx

can xp sleep?

Post by Bill Anderso » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:21:14

Start

Turn Off Computer

Standby

Is this what you mean?

Quote:> hi
> does anyone know how to enable the sleep/suspend option in xp? (if there
is
> one).
> thx

can xp sleep?

Post by Robert L. Haa » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:47:37

> To put XP into Hibernation mode, make sure it is enabled in Power
> Options/Hibernation.

You might have to enable this in your BIOS. Check your hardware manuals
to check if it is even supported.

Quote:> Then do Start/Turn off Computer, then strike <Space> instead of clicking on
> "Standby".

You can also set system inactivity to trigger hybernation. If you have a SLEEP
button on your keyboard, you can ma that to hybernate.

Quote:

> Be forewarned.. Doing this will disconnect you from the Internet..

Not necessarily. It depends on the kind of connection that you have. I have a
cable modem with a LinkSys router. The router is always powered up and
maintains the IP address assignment. I have repeated put my computer into
Standby and Hibernate mode with web or email connections active and brought
it back up with those sessions still working.

can xp sleep?

Post by : Sonal » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:44:46

i have a hibernate option, but no "standby" option. How do i enable it...my
hardware supports it (worked in win 98).

thx

Quote:> > To put XP into Hibernation mode, make sure it is enabled in Power
> > Options/Hibernation.

> You might have to enable this in your BIOS. Check your hardware manuals
> to check if it is even supported.

> > Then do Start/Turn off Computer, then strike <Space> instead of clicking
on
> > "Standby".

> You can also set system inactivity to trigger hybernation. If you have a
SLEEP
> button on your keyboard, you can ma that to hybernate.

> > Be forewarned.. Doing this will disconnect you from the Internet..

> Not necessarily. It depends on the kind of connection that you have. I
have a
> cable modem with a LinkSys router. The router is always powered up and
> maintains the IP address assignment. I have repeated put my computer into
> Standby and Hibernate mode with web or email connections active and
brought
> it back up with those sessions still working.

can xp sleep?

Post by Donald McDanie » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 00:01:47

Start|Shut off Computer|Standby (left-most choice)

Donald McDaniel

> i have a hibernate option, but no "standby" option. How do i enable
it...my
> hardware supports it (worked in win 98).

> thx

> > > To put XP into Hibernation mode, make sure it is enabled in Power
> > > Options/Hibernation.

> > You might have to enable this in your BIOS. Check your hardware manuals
> > to check if it is even supported.

> > > Then do Start/Turn off Computer, then strike <Space> instead of
clicking
> on
> > > "Standby".

> > You can also set system inactivity to trigger hybernation. If you have a
> SLEEP
> > button on your keyboard, you can ma that to hybernate.

> > > Be forewarned.. Doing this will disconnect you from the Internet..

> > Not necessarily. It depends on the kind of connection that you have. I
> have a
> > cable modem with a LinkSys router. The router is always powered up and
> > maintains the IP address assignment. I have repeated put my computer
into
> > Standby and Hibernate mode with web or email connections active and
> brought
> > it back up with those sessions still working.

can xp sleep?

Post by : Sonal » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 06:33:29

thanks for your time...but i only have the options "hibernate, restart, turn
off". if i disable hibernate i get only the remaining 2 options...hence the
problem.

> Start|Shut off Computer|Standby (left-most choice)

> Donald McDaniel

> > i have a hibernate option, but no "standby" option. How do i enable
> it...my
> > hardware supports it (worked in win 98).

> > thx

> > > You might have to enable this in your BIOS. Check your hardware
manuals
> > > to check if it is even supported.

> clicking
> > on

> > > You can also set system inactivity to trigger hybernation. If you have
> > SLEEP
> > > button on your keyboard, you can ma that to hybernate.

> > > Not necessarily. It depends on the kind of connection that you have. I
> > have a
> > > cable modem with a LinkSys router. The router is always powered up and
> > > maintains the IP address assignment. I have repeated put my computer
> into
> > > Standby and Hibernate mode with web or email connections active and
> > brought
> > > it back up with those sessions still working.

can xp sleep?

Post by Donald McDanie » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:09:53

This is what Help and Support says about System Standby.. Notice it says "to
use System Standby, you must have a computer which was setup by the
manufacturer to support this option"

To automatically put your computer on standby

  1.. Open Power Options in Control Panel.
  2.. In Power Schemes, click the down arrow, and then select a power
scheme. The time settings for the power scheme are displayed in System
standby, Turn off monitor, and Turn off hard disks.
  3.. To turn off your monitor before your computer goes on standby, select
a time in Turn off monitor.
  4.. To turn off your hard disk before your computer goes on standby,
select a time in Turn off hard disks.
 Notes

  a.. To open Power Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then
double-click Power Options.
  b.. You might want to save your work before putting your computer on
standby. While the computer is on standby, information in computer memory is
not saved to your hard disk. If there is an interruption in power,
information in memory is lost.
  c.. To create a new power scheme, specify the time settings you want, and
then click Save As.
  d.. If you're using a portable computer, you can specify one setting for
battery power and a different setting for AC power.
  e.. To put your computer on standby, you must have a computer that is set
up by the manufacturer to support this option.
  f.. Using Power Options in Control Panel, you can adjust any power
management option that your computer's unique hardware configuration
supports. Because these options may vary widely from computer to computer,
the options described may differ from what you see. Power Options
automatically detects what is available on your computer and shows you only
the options that you can

> thanks for your time...but i only have the options "hibernate, restart,
turn
> off". if i disable hibernate i get only the remaining 2 options...hence
the
> problem.

> > Start|Shut off Computer|Standby (left-most choice)

> > Donald McDaniel

> > > i have a hibernate option, but no "standby" option. How do i enable
> > it...my
> > > hardware supports it (worked in win 98).

> > > thx

> manuals

> > clicking
> > > on

> > > SLEEP

> > > have a
> > into
> > > brought

begin 666 shortcutCold.gif

`
end

begin 666 note.gif

`
end

1. Canned emails

hello,

i need to post the same emails (welcome letter, syllabus etc) on newsgroups
for an online class that i teach, every semester. i was wondering if anyone
knew of a way to set these emails up once and then be able to post them each
semester. i currently have these emails in a Word document. i have to flip
between word and oe and do a lot of cutting and pasting.

thanks
indera

2. Remove Intellipoint icon from system tray??

3. cans shut down only restart

4. Quick launch

5. MS Replies to mt Intellipoint 5.0 request - not a canned reply!!!

6. User Profiles

7. ASP email program - canned

8. Import AOL address books into OutLook Express 6?

9. Canned Air Cleaner

10. Data entry w/ canned comments

11. resume from S3 sleep in XP professional

12. XP sleep mode

13. XP can't "Sleep"