External hard drives randomly disconnect and share settings are lost

External hard drives randomly disconnect and share settings are lost

Post by eyeby.. » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 02:52:01

I have 2 external hard drives connected to one of my home computers,
one is USB 2.0 and the other is firewire. Both of them work fine most
of the time, but they randomly disconnect themselves from the host
computer. When I power them down and up again, the computer usually
re-connects and everything fine again... for a while. In addition, the
shared folders on these drives are periodically lost, so even though
the drive is up and running fine, I can't access it from other
computers on my network and I have to share the folders again from
scratch.

Why is this happening, and is there a way I can prevent it?