Help in installing XP!!

Post by Jerr » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 07:57:43

I seem to have major problems now when installing XP...tried it three times
now to install and it craps out on me..just wondering if my swappable HDs
are causing the problems...

Situation: I put the XP CD in then I proceded to install XP (format the HD
(using the Win XP formatter)), and then install files that need to be
installed
then I reboot...it says "Operating System is not found" the files are there
but
I am wondering if my swapping drives is preventing me to install XP again??
I have two HD (one for Linux and one for XP (trying))...

Thanks

Help in installing XP!!

Post by John Barnett - MV » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 09:16:32

Which is the master and which is the slave? XP must be
installed on the C: drive which, in your case may house
your linux operating system. Try changing the drives
around so that the one you installed XP on is the master
drive.

Hope this helps

John Barnett - MS MVP
Associate expert

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I seem to have major problems now when installing

XP...tried it three times
Quote:>now to install and it craps out on me..just wondering if
my swappable HDs
>are causing the problems...

>Situation: I put the XP CD in then I proceded to install
XP (format the HD
>(using the Win XP formatter)), and then install files
that need to be
>installed
>then I reboot...it says "Operating System is not found"
the files are there
>but
>I am wondering if my swapping drives is preventing me to
install XP again??
>I have two HD (one for Linux and one for XP (trying))...

>Thanks

>.

Help in installing XP!!

Post by unbreakabl » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 09:38:18

why do you have swappable drives? Linux and XP can work together... Linux
has LILO, all you have to do is set it up in linux so that it will see the
XP disk and give you a boot option. What distro are you using? Suse?
Mandrake?

You dont have to take one disk out to insert the other... have them both
in... I have had 3 versions of linux and 2 of windows on 2 disks on the SAME
computer!

you can use this simple but powerfull utility that is shareware but works
forever www.osloader.com

OSL2000 is an advanced multi boot manager. Using OSL2000 boot manager, you
can easily install, boot and manage up to 100 independent OSs in your
computer.
A multi boot manager is a program that lets you have multiple operating
systems in your personal computer. OSL2000 boot manager, in addition to
being a normal multi boot manager, has advanced features that let you
seamlessly multiboot, install, and manage multiple OSs like Windows, Linux,
etc. It lets you have multiple copies of Windows in your system. It lets you
boot Windows even from your second harddisk! OSL2000 boot manager does not
require any configuration. In fact, OSL2000 boot manager is so advanced that
it does not even have a configuration screen!

Kenny

Quote:> I seem to have major problems now when installing XP...tried it three
times
> now to install and it craps out on me..just wondering if my swappable HDs
> are causing the problems...

> Situation: I put the XP CD in then I proceded to install XP (format the HD
> (using the Win XP formatter)), and then install files that need to be
> installed
> then I reboot...it says "Operating System is not found" the files are
there
> but
> I am wondering if my swapping drives is preventing me to install XP
again??
> I have two HD (one for Linux and one for XP (trying))...

> Thanks

why do you have swappable drives? Linux and XP can work together... Linux
has LILO, all you have to do is set it up in linux so that it will see the
XP disk and give you a boot option. What distro are you using? Suse?
Mandrake?

You dont have to take one disk out to insert the other... have them both
in... I have had 3 versions of linux and 2 of windows on 2 disks on the SAME
computer!

you can use this simple but powerfull utility that is shareware but works
forever www.osloader.com

OSL2000 is an advanced multi boot manager. Using OSL2000 boot manager, you
can easily install, boot and manage up to 100 independent OSs in your
computer.
A multi boot manager is a program that lets you have multiple operating
systems in your personal computer. OSL2000 boot manager, in addition to
being a normal multi boot manager, has advanced features that let you
seamlessly multiboot, install, and manage multiple OSs like Windows, Linux,
etc. It lets you have multiple copies of Windows in your system. It lets you
boot Windows even from your second harddisk! OSL2000 boot manager does not
require any configuration. In fact, OSL2000 boot manager is so advanced that
it does not even have a configuration screen!

Kenny

Quote:> I seem to have major problems now when installing XP...tried it three
times
> now to install and it craps out on me..just wondering if my swappable HDs
> are causing the problems...

> Situation: I put the XP CD in then I proceded to install XP (format the HD
> (using the Win XP formatter)), and then install files that need to be
> installed
> then I reboot...it says "Operating System is not found" the files are
there
> but
> I am wondering if my swapping drives is preventing me to install XP
again??
> I have two HD (one for Linux and one for XP (trying))...

> Thanks

Help in installing XP!!

Post by Jerr » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:22:54

Well, I have three hard drives (one is in there permantely is the slave),
the two hard drives are swappable (both are masters)..so if I run Linux I
put the linux hard drive in and if I want to run windows I put the windows
in (if I can install XP :()

Jerry

Quote:> Which is the master and which is the slave? XP must be
> installed on the C: drive which, in your case may house
> your linux operating system. Try changing the drives
> around so that the one you installed XP on is the master
> drive.

> Hope this helps

> John Barnett - MS MVP
> Associate expert

Help in installing XP!!

Post by Jerr » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:23:36

Its because I find that I can run it smoother and I don't have to worry
about screwing up my HD :)

Thanks
Jerry

> [...]

> it does not even have a configuration screen!

> Kenny

> > I seem to have major problems now when installing XP...tried it three
> times
> > now to install and it craps out on me..just wondering if my swappable
HDs
> > are causing the problems...

> > Situation: I put the XP CD in then I proceded to install XP (format the
HD
> > (using the Win XP formatter)), and then install files that need to be
> > installed
> > then I reboot...it says "Operating System is not found" the files are
> there
> > but
> > I am wondering if my swapping drives is preventing me to install XP
> again??
> > I have two HD (one for Linux and one for XP (trying))...

Help in installing XP!!

Post by unbreakabl » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 20:58:28

after you do the installations then hook both HDs on the computer and use
OSLOADER to find the OS's for you automatically.

Linux can only READ NTFS (the windows system), and Windows can only READ the
linux system with special programs or drivers... SO actually the only
problem that could occur would be during the installation but since you will
do it the with swapping you disks (that is a good idea if you have important
data) you will be OK.

kenny

Merry christmas

> [...]

> > Kenny

> > > I seem to have major problems now when installing XP...tried it three
> > times
> > > now to install and it craps out on me..just wondering if my swappable
> HDs
> > > are causing the problems...

> > > Situation: I put the XP CD in then I proceded to install XP (format
the
> HD
> > > (using the Win XP formatter)), and then install files that need to be
> > > installed
> > > then I reboot...it says "Operating System is not found" the files are
> > there
> > > but
> > > I am wondering if my swapping drives is preventing me to install XP
> > again??
> > > I have two HD (one for Linux and one for XP (trying))...

---

1. HELP: How do you execute an .INS file _without_ Internet Explorer v3.0x installed?

Hi there,

I've got an .INS file that has all the details of my ISP (I change ISP
sometimes) but there's no way I can run it without installing Internet
Explorer v3.0x first as this browser installs ICW and associates the
.INS with it.  I tried it with equivalent version of Netscape but that
does not associate the .INS file with anything.

Can I setup ICW separately as this could be all what I need?  But how?

I work on several PCs and sometimes I have to setup DUN to a specific
ISP and Win95 doesn't always have DUN installed.  I would just like to
use my configured .INS file by running it, which in turn can install
DUN if it hasn't been already installed, and setup the dial-up icon
from the info given in the .INS file.

Could you please help me?  Please e-mail if you can. Thanks very much.

Regards,
Khan
--
Note: please remove  -nospam-  from my email address before replying.

2. Printer Driver

3. Intergrating install.ins from IEAK into unatted install of W2K

4. Using a URL to autoconfigure

5. IEAK reusing Install.ins

6. Networking with Windows 98

7. What plug-ins are installed?

8. Recommendation needed!

9. Unable to install plug-ins

10. Executing INSTALL.INS does not work!

11. install .ins file

12. Does IE6 require Admin rights to install Plug-ins & ActiveX components?

13. Internet Explorer/install.ins