XP Pro gives false indication of dual CPU and runs very slowly

XP Pro gives false indication of dual CPU and runs very slowly

Post by BAR » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:43:02

You mught need to run an audit of your system to ensure that everything is
setup correctly.

hat is to say:
BIOS has correct settings for FSB
BIOS has correct settings for Memory
BIOS is set for the CPU type and speed

Usually a new Mobo and CPU will necessitate new Memory: older memory not
being fully compatible or below performance requirements for new Mobo.

Try running Everste Home Edition to get a full audit and test of your
hardware.

Get it [freeware] from http://www.lavalys.com/

> A new MB usually necessitates a Repair Install of XP.

> > I used to run XP Pro SP2 on an AMD athlon based PC. I had a local computer
> > shop install a new Intel MB with a P4 2.9gHz cpu and a nVidia GeForce 5700
> > vidcard from MSI. No changes were made to the OS. Now programs load very
> > slowly and folders open very slowly, but seem to run ok once loaded. Task
> mgr
> > says system idle process is using 40-50% of my cpu. Device mgr and systen
> > information claim I have dual CPUs, which I assure you is not true. System
> > info further claims my cpu(s) are sharing IRQs with my vidcard. How did
> this
> > happen and how do I fix it?

XP Pro gives false indication of dual CPU and runs very slowly

Post by Richard Urba » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:06:33

The idea of a computer shop is to return the computer to you in a properly
functioning condition. Take it back to them and complain - very loudly.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Quote:>I used to run XP Pro SP2 on an AMD athlon based PC. I had a local computer
> shop install a new Intel MB with a P4 2.9gHz cpu and a nVidia GeForce 5700
> vidcard from MSI. No changes were made to the OS. Now programs load very
> slowly and folders open very slowly, but seem to run ok once loaded. Task
> mgr
> says system idle process is using 40-50% of my cpu. Device mgr and systen
> information claim I have dual CPUs, which I assure you is not true. System
> info further claims my cpu(s) are sharing IRQs with my vidcard. How did
> this
> happen and how do I fix it?

XP Pro gives false indication of dual CPU and runs very slowly

Post by Jim Mackli » Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:22:19

Your P4 CPU has hyperthreading and will show as two CPUs.

A proper mobo/CPU change requires a repair install, you
probably have a registry in need of cleaning.

| The idea of a computer shop is to return the computer to
you in a properly
| functioning condition. Take it back to them and complain -
very loudly.

| --
| Regards,
|
| Richard Urban
|

| If you knew as much as you thought you know,
| You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
knew!

| >I used to run XP Pro SP2 on an AMD athlon based PC. I had
a local computer
| > shop install a new Intel MB with a P4 2.9gHz cpu and a
nVidia GeForce 5700
| > vidcard from MSI. No changes were made to the OS. Now
programs load very
| > slowly and folders open very slowly, but seem to run ok
once loaded. Task
| > mgr
| > says system idle process is using 40-50% of my cpu.
Device mgr and systen
| > information claim I have dual CPUs, which I assure you
is not true. System
| > info further claims my cpu(s) are sharing IRQs with my
vidcard. How did
| > this
| > happen and how do I fix it?

1. Performance increase from a dual CPU Windows XP Pro system running multiple applications?

Earlier this year the question and answer shown at the end of this
message was posted in this news group. However, when I posted the
question and reply  on Silicon Investor a knowledgeable reader said the
answer was wrong.  The essence of his response was: "If you have two
CPUs, the two highest-priority ready threads are going to run
simultaneously - whether they are in the same application or different
applications."   Right know because Windows XP Pro is a symmetric
multiprocessing operating system I believe the response posted in this
news group earlier this year was in error.  "Symmetric multiprocessing
allows either system or user tasks to run on any processor."

Hence what is the correct answer? In a dual CPU system can Windows XP
Pro send one application program to one CPU, send a second application
program to the other CPU and run the two programs simultaneously?

Thanks in advance for your help, Howard

">Lets say you have two programs, neither of which are multithreaded. If
 > you have a dual processor system, will windows send the workload of
 >both of them to the same processor or is it smart enough to send them
  >separate processors?"

"Ahhh, No.
Windows will not send different programs to different CPUs. It WILL send
some of its own processes to the 2nd cpu, but it will not load program A to
CPU A, and program B to CPU B.
Sorry.

Harry"

2. REAL SOLUTIONS

3. False memory indication

4. veo cam

5. windows xp pro running veeerryy slowly

6. Windows 95 StartUp Password Screen

7. Do XP Home and XP Pro x32 operate dual-core CPUs equally well?

8. Joining the parts of wmv files

9. Win XP Pro - running very slowly

10. Uppgrading XP Pro from Single to Dual CPU

11. Dual CPU and win XP Pro

12. XP Pro Movie Maker Dual-CPU

13. XP Pro and Dual Core CPUs