network cable unplugged

Post by Rachel Stegema » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:52:31

Hi, I'm a new user, otherwise I may have figured this
out, but the icon in the lower right section of my screen
which looks like two small monitors, has a red X in front
of it and when I go to it with the mouse I get the message
"Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged.  I
had difficulty signing on the internet yesterday - the
message was always something about the website not being
able to connect.  Right now, also at the bottom right of
my screen the another icon reads "Windows Messenger - not
signed in".  Can you help me?

network cable unplugged

Post by Marvi » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:04:48

You get that message if you are on a network and the other computer is off.

--
Marvin

network cable unplugged

Post by kurttrai » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:06:54

Have you looked to see if the network cable is actually plugged in?  Replaced it?

--
Peace!
Kurt

> Hi, I'm a new user, otherwise I may have figured this
> out, but the icon in the lower right section of my screen
> which looks like two small monitors, has a red X in front
> of it and when I go to it with the mouse I get the message
> "Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged.  I
> had difficulty signing on the internet yesterday - the
> message was always something about the website not being
> able to connect.  Right now, also at the bottom right of
> my screen the another icon reads "Windows Messenger - not
> signed in".  Can you help me?

network cable unplugged

Post by system admi » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:56:57

Check to make sure that the network cable is plugged in. If so, what lights
are lit up on your cable/dsl modem? Also try a new network cable.

Quote:> Hi, I'm a new user, otherwise I may have figured this
> out, but the icon in the lower right section of my screen
> which looks like two small monitors, has a red X in front
> of it and when I go to it with the mouse I get the message
> "Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged.  I
> had difficulty signing on the internet yesterday - the
> message was always something about the website not being
> able to connect.  Right now, also at the bottom right of
> my screen the another icon reads "Windows Messenger - not
> signed in".  Can you help me?

network cable unplugged

Post by Rocky To » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:27:33

I had this same problem. Nothing worked, had to pull the nic card out of my
old tower. For whatever reason, I couldn't connect using the new card. The
computer saw the card  but trying to have A T & T Broadband sending the
signal wasn't working. I kept getting a red x on the Local Area Connection
and the words  A Network Cable Not Plugged In. I still wonder why it
wouldn't connect using the new card. The guy who installed it said to give
them (isp) the address, which I did try but she said she didn't need it. It
would automatically connect when the signal was sent to my computer.
Barb

> Check to make sure that the network cable is plugged in. If so, what
lights
> are lit up on your cable/dsl modem? Also try a new network cable.

> > Hi, I'm a new user, otherwise I may have figured this
> > out, but the icon in the lower right section of my screen
> > which looks like two small monitors, has a red X in front
> > of it and when I go to it with the mouse I get the message
> > "Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged.  I
> > had difficulty signing on the internet yesterday - the
> > message was always something about the website not being
> > able to connect.  Right now, also at the bottom right of
> > my screen the another icon reads "Windows Messenger - not
> > signed in".  Can you help me?

network cable unplugged

Post by Steve Winogra » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:02:11

>Hi, I'm a new user, otherwise I may have figured this
>out, but the icon in the lower right section of my screen
>which looks like two small monitors, has a red X in front
>of it and when I go to it with the mouse I get the message
>"Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged.  I
>had difficulty signing on the internet yesterday - the
>message was always something about the website not being
>able to connect.  Right now, also at the bottom right of
>my screen the another icon reads "Windows Messenger - not
>signed in".  Can you help me?

Don't take that message literally.  It really means that XP can't
detect a live link to another device, such as a computer, hub, switch,
router, cable modem, etc.  That could be because:

1. The network cable really is unplugged.

2. The network cable is defective.

3. It's plugged in, but there's nothing connected to the other end.

4. It's plugged in and connected on both ends, but the device on the
other end isn't turned on.

5. The cable is the wrong type.  Connecting two computers directly,
without a hub, switch, or router, requires a crossover cable.  A
regular cable won't work.

6. The cable is connected to the uplink port on a hub, switch, or
router, instead of a regular port.

7. Some hubs, switches, and routers disable the port next to the
uplink port when the uplink port is in use.

8. The network card driver program isn't working right.  Download and
install the latest XP-compatible driver from the manufacturer's web
site.

9. The network card is configured to automatically sense speed and
duplex settings but isn't doing it correctly.  Set those options
manually, as shown here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/networkcard.htm

10. You're using a phone line network adapter and there isn't a second
computer, with a similar adapter, running and connected to the same
phone line.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP

for everyone to see.  I will not reply to questions addressed
directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Windows Networking
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;MVPFAQS

1. Network Cable Unplugged with coax-cables

Hi,

I have a network card that uses coax-cables to form my home network.
But I also has an RJ-45 connector at the back and now winXP thinks my
network cable is unplugged because it doesn't seem to use my coax-connector
When I was using a beta of XP, i had found a workaround somewhere on the
internet.
I tried that and it worked. All that you had to do was to replace an XP file
with a win2000
file and it worked perfectly. But i forgot which file it was and know i'm
stuck....

any thoughts?

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q299/6/94.ASP?LN=EN-...
n&FR=0&qry=coaxial&rnk=2&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WINXP

2. sata drives not accessible........

3. Local Network- Network cable unplugged?

4. Dual Boot Tips

5. Networking - Network Cable unplugged

6. Location of DLLs in WinCE

7. Network cable unplugged Status message on the "Network and Dial-up" folder

8. Names of folders in diff. languages

9. Network Cable Unplugged

10. network cable unplugged

11. Help get rid of Network Cable unplugged popup Bubble from taskbar!

12. local network cable unplugged

13. Network cable unplugged