Update Windows XP to SP1 on intial system setup?

Update Windows XP to SP1 on intial system setup?

Post by Bob Huntle » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 05:10:26

I just installed XP, then SP1 as soon as the inital install was over and I
got to a working desktop.

(At this point, much of my hardware wasn't working because its drivers
hadn't been installed - so don't worry about the yellow exclamation marks in
Device Manager).

Quote:> I am building my first PC and have the OEM version of Windows XP Pro. I
was

Post by Maurice » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 12:39:12

> I am building my first PC and have the OEM version of Windows XP Pro.
> I was told that SP1 has updated drivers that would serve better
> during the initial PC setup (ie. USB 2.0 drivers). Will I get an
> opportunity to update XP to SP1 before the original version tries to
> configure my system and locate drivers? How do I do this?

> Thank you in advance,

> Daniel Miller

If your system is new, and the HD was empty, you'd need to first setup your OEM XP.
Finish the setup, and make sure it is working ok.  Later on, you can get SP1.

There are a few things here I'd like to point out.  First, you may ask here any time _before_
you do an install or Service Pack 1.  Secondly, be very patient when SP1 has finished & it loads the first or second time.
Let it finish & load Windows at its own time.
- - - -
  Planning & preparation BEFORE  you setup Service Pack 1.
   See note below for owners of HP / Compaq pc's  with the OEM Windows XP pre-installed.

Safety tips for any setup of operating system / or a service pack:
(a) run a CHKDSK to make sure file system is in good shape
(b)   **  backup ** your current system,
(c) turn off antivirus & just about  *every user-startup app program *
in MSCONFIG / Startup,    with exception of Systray .

(d) Also if you have any program that changes the splash screen, or
provides more styles by modifying the system files (esp Styles-XP), uninstall it.

(e)  If you ever installed XP-Antispy, it disables a dll XP-SP1 needs, so
just in case, Start - Run and type
regsvr32  licdll.dll      <enter>
regsvr32  regwizc.dll     <enter>

(f) make sure you have plenty of FREE space  & run Disk Cleanup

(g)  Use Windows Explorer.  Go to C:\Windows\System32

If you have a sub-folder called * Catroot2 * (not Catroot) rename the
folder to CR2OLD.

(h) logout / reboot bring up Windows  (to get clean start  & no files-in-use),
(i) now the pc is condition to start "setup" of Service Pack 1

Do read the tips and info  on XP SP1
Windows XP Service Pack 1

<http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/def...>

The "express" is an on-line update, you do not really get to save a file
for later.
The network install is the full file and that you can (a) download &
save, (b) run later for setup.

--
Maurice N
MVP  Windows - Shell/User

1. Windows XP SP1 update messing up my system

I have been trying to keep my system as current as
possible but always checking for updates to Windows XP
(Home Addition).
Most notably is the SP1 Service Pack, I downlaoded,
installed, rebooted and went to coninue updating, system
bogged down and would not even scan my comp for updates.

I removed it and system ran fine, I went to get more
updates (Media Player 9), downloaded, installed, and went
to get more updates and system just hung again.

I removed, do i need these updates, how can I get all to
work

thx

2. help in tweaking windows me

3. missing files @intial setup WinXp Pro

4. Bluetooth Connection..

5. register operating system after intial bootup?

6. help

7. Windows XP SP1-CD or Windows Update?

8. Installing Windows XP

9. Probles with USB hub and system file restore after updating to Xp SP1

10. sp1 update corrupts XP operating system

11. windows 2000 will not start after windows xp sp1 update

12. "Update" Windows installation to SP1 from SP1 integrated CD.

13. Windows setup does not support ASUS NVIDIA card in setup for Windows XP