Internet Connection Sharing Issue

Post by Macaroni & Chees » Fri, 10 May 2002 02:46:41

I have a situation whci I cannot figure out and I'm hoping that
someone here might know the answer, or at least have some clues as to
where to look.

A friend has setup a network in his home consisting of two (2)
machines.   The first is a WinXP box that is connected by dialup to
the outside world and is set to share the connection (ICS).   The
other is a Win 98 2nd Ed  box.  The TCP/IP setup is as per
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309642&GSSNB=1
ie: static ips on both boxes, etc ...

The problem is that whenever the win98 box is attached to the network,
the XP box dials out for what seems to be no reason.  If the Win 98
box is disconnected form the network,  this DOESN'T occur.  We have
checked both boxes for programs that might be casuing the activity,
viruses, etc....  Have also doublke checked the setup including the
hosts file t make sure there are no spelling mistakes.....

HELPHELPHELP

Cheers

Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

Internet Connection Sharing Issue

Post by Ron Low » Fri, 10 May 2002 03:22:21

Quote:> I have a situation whci I cannot figure out and I'm hoping that
> someone here might know the answer, or at least have some clues as to
> where to look.

> A friend has setup a network in his home consisting of two (2)
> machines.   The first is a WinXP box that is connected by dialup to
> the outside world and is set to share the connection (ICS).   The
> other is a Win 98 2nd Ed  box.  The TCP/IP setup is as per
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309642&GSSNB=1
> ie: static ips on both boxes, etc ...

> The problem is that whenever the win98 box is attached to the network,
> the XP box dials out for what seems to be no reason.  If the Win 98
> box is disconnected form the network,  this DOESN'T occur.  We have
> checked both boxes for programs that might be casuing the activity,
> viruses, etc....  Have also doublke checked the setup including the
> hosts file t make sure there are no spelling mistakes.....

> HELPHELPHELP

> Cheers

Download and install the free version of zonealarm onto the 98 box and the
culprit will be revealed.

http://www.zonelabs.com/products/za/pestpatrol.html

Post back with who the bad guy was!

Best Regards,
Ron

Internet Connection Sharing Issue

Post by Shau » Fri, 10 May 2002 03:25:25

On the xp box, go to network connections> right click the connection and
select properties then  advanced. It's right their if it is up and running.

Quote:> I have a situation whci I cannot figure out and I'm hoping that
> someone here might know the answer, or at least have some clues as to
> where to look.

> A friend has setup a network in his home consisting of two (2)
> machines.   The first is a WinXP box that is connected by dialup to
> the outside world and is set to share the connection (ICS).   The
> other is a Win 98 2nd Ed  box.  The TCP/IP setup is as per
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309642&GSSNB=1
> ie: static ips on both boxes, etc ...

> The problem is that whenever the win98 box is attached to the network,
> the XP box dials out for what seems to be no reason.  If the Win 98
> box is disconnected form the network,  this DOESN'T occur.  We have
> checked both boxes for programs that might be casuing the activity,
> viruses, etc....  Have also doublke checked the setup including the
> hosts file t make sure there are no spelling mistakes.....

> HELPHELPHELP

> Cheers

> Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

Internet Connection Sharing Issue

Post by Shau » Fri, 10 May 2002 03:50:55

By right their, I mean to uncheck the little box that says let the 98
machine control the dial up.

> On the xp box, go to network connections> right click the connection and
> select properties then  advanced. It's right their if it is up and
running.

> > I have a situation whci I cannot figure out and I'm hoping that
> > someone here might know the answer, or at least have some clues as to
> > where to look.

> > A friend has setup a network in his home consisting of two (2)
> > machines.   The first is a WinXP box that is connected by dialup to
> > the outside world and is set to share the connection (ICS).   The
> > other is a Win 98 2nd Ed  box.  The TCP/IP setup is as per
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309642&GSSNB=1
> > ie: static ips on both boxes, etc ...

> > The problem is that whenever the win98 box is attached to the network,
> > the XP box dials out for what seems to be no reason.  If the Win 98
> > box is disconnected form the network,  this DOESN'T occur.  We have
> > checked both boxes for programs that might be casuing the activity,
> > viruses, etc....  Have also doublke checked the setup including the
> > hosts file t make sure there are no spelling mistakes.....

> > HELPHELPHELP

> > Cheers

> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

Internet Connection Sharing Issue

Post by Kent W. England [MVP » Fri, 10 May 2002 06:07:04

w98 is most likely trying to contact a DNS server to resolve a local
computername. I would recommend creating a hosts file and a lmhosts file
on the ICS gateway so that these local names can be resolved locally. If
w98 still forces a dial, then copy the hosts and lmhosts files over to
the w98 machine. That should stop it.

--
Kent W. England, MS MVP for Windows XP
(Please respond only in the newsgroup)

Quote:> I have a situation whci I cannot figure out and I'm hoping that
> someone here might know the answer, or at least have some clues as to
> where to look.

> A friend has setup a network in his home consisting of two (2)
> machines.   The first is a WinXP box that is connected by dialup to
> the outside world and is set to share the connection (ICS).   The
> other is a Win 98 2nd Ed  box.  The TCP/IP setup is as per

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q309642&GSSNB=1
Quote:> ie: static ips on both boxes, etc ...

> The problem is that whenever the win98 box is attached to the network,
> the XP box dials out for what seems to be no reason.  If the Win 98
> box is disconnected form the network,  this DOESN'T occur.  We have
> checked both boxes for programs that might be casuing the activity,
> viruses, etc....  Have also doublke checked the setup including the
> hosts file t make sure there are no spelling mistakes.....

> HELPHELPHELP

> Cheers

> Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

Internet Connection Sharing Issue

Post by Macaroni & Chees » Sat, 11 May 2002 06:51:43

On Wed, 8 May 2002 14:07:04 -0700, "Kent W. England [MVP]"

>w98 is most likely trying to contact a DNS server to resolve a local
>computername. I would recommend creating a hosts file and a lmhosts file
>on the ICS gateway so that these local names can be resolved locally. If
>w98 still forces a dial, then copy the hosts and lmhosts files over to
>the w98 machine. That should stop it.

I have passed your suggestions to the friend who has the probelm.
Many Thanks

Defender of all things pre-shrunk and cottony

1. XP Internet Connection Sharing issue

Hello.
I've just set up a network between my WXP machine, another WXP machine and a
W98 SE machine, with my XP machine as a server to distribute the ADSL
internet connection to the other computers through a switch. The network
works perfectly, both file sharing and game playing, and all three computers
have access to the internet. However, when the client machines try to access
certain WWW adresses, usually .com types, like www.hotmail.com,
www.yahoo.com, the connection slows down to about 10 b/s and the site never
loads. Scandinavian sites, .org and .gov URL's work perfectly, and
everything is as it is supposed to be on the Host computer. If I connect the
client computers directly to the internet, without ICS, everything works
fine and the sites load without problems. The problem occurs only on the
computers connected through Internet Connection Sharing, and only with
certain URL's. (Mostly .com adresses.) Of course, this is most annoying, and
I wondered if anyone out there could point me in the right direction, either
if you have a possible solution to the problem, or if you know a newsgroup
or other resource that could help me out. Curiously enough, earlier, another
W98 machine (not SE) was connected to the network, and it had no such
problems with any sites on the web.

Any comment is appreciated.

2. Connect to disappears

3. Internet Connection Sharing issues?

4. Installling Mircosoft Office 2000

5. Internet Connection Sharing Issues

6. cd-rw "incorrect function"

7. Internet Connection Firewall (Internet Connection Sharing version) blocks Remote Desktop Web connection

8. Cannot open multiple files

9. Internet Connection Sharing doesn't work when VPN is used on the shared connection

10. Worrisome Internet Connection Sharing/Internet Connection Firewall problem

11. Internet Connection Sharing Kills Internet Connection

12. Shared internet connection issue

13. Internet connection sharing - button for sharing is not there