Windows Explorer Color Customization

Post by Rho.. » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 05:55:04

Let me start off saying that I am legally blind and as such use
special color schemes. For example my default is white on black.
Instead of the usual black on white.

I have setup up everything with the colors I want using the "classic
style." The only problem arises in two areas. 1) Windows Explorer and
2) Help and Support.

The first in windows explorer is the right pane where in "details"
view you see the filename, size, date etc. Well in the columns showing
filename it is a light gray background with white letters. In all 9.X
versions this was an all black background as was the rest.

How do I get rid of that gray background and set it to black as is the
rest of the pane.

The second Help and support. On the right side where you see the
results they have obviously hard coded it to be a dark blue color.
Needless to say that dark blue on a black background is almost
impossible to see.

Any help with the Windows Explorer scenario would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Windows Explorer Color Customization

Post by Dale Beaudett » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:20:10

The area you want to modify in the custom properties is called window (click
on the area you wish to change in the example area and the lost should jump
to that item).

You'll likely want to change the selected item properties to reverse the
selection (white background with bolded black text) and you can also
increase the point size of the font at the same time to help you see the
item selected.

--
Dale Beaudette  MVP - Win. XP
Associate eXPert

Quote:> Let me start off saying that I am legally blind and as such use
> special color schemes. For example my default is white on black.
> Instead of the usual black on white.

> I have setup up everything with the colors I want using the "classic
> style." The only problem arises in two areas. 1) Windows Explorer and
> 2) Help and Support.

> The first in windows explorer is the right pane where in "details"
> view you see the filename, size, date etc. Well in the columns showing
> filename it is a light gray background with white letters. In all 9.X
> versions this was an all black background as was the rest.

> How do I get rid of that gray background and set it to black as is the
> rest of the pane.

> The second Help and support. On the right side where you see the
> results they have obviously hard coded it to be a dark blue color.
> Needless to say that dark blue on a black background is almost
> impossible to see.

> Any help with the Windows Explorer scenario would be much appreciated.

> Thanks.

Windows Explorer Color Customization

Post by Rho.. » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:38:42

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 20:20:10 -0500, "Dale Beaudette"

>The area you want to modify in the custom properties is called window (click
>on the area you wish to change in the example area and the lost should jump
>to that item).

>You'll likely want to change the selected item properties to reverse the
>selection (white background with bolded black text) and you can also
>increase the point size of the font at the same time to help you see the
>item selected.

Thanks Dale for the reply but unfortunately that does not help. The
"window" item is now set for a black background with white text. Which
is perfect for me. If it is a white background with black text its the
kiss of death for me.

What is really driving me nuts apart from not being able to see it. Is
I can't figure out for the life of me where that column as described
below is being controlled from?

To try and help describe what I am talking about if I change to the XP
default color scheme that column appears to be very slightly am off
white.

I am just wondering if they hard coded that? If so I am a dead puppy.
:-(

Thanks again for trying to help.

Post by Rho.. » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:04:59

>On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 20:20:10 -0500, "Dale Beaudette"

>Thanks Dale for the reply but unfortunately that does not help. The
>"window" item is now set for a black background with white text. Which
>is perfect for me. If it is a white background with black text its the
>kiss of death for me.

>What is really driving me nuts apart from not being able to see it. Is
>I can't figure out for the life of me where that column as described
>below is being controlled from?

>To try and help describe what I am talking about if I change to the XP
>default color scheme that column appears to be very slightly am off
>white.

>I am just wondering if they hard coded that? If so I am a dead puppy.
>:-(

>Thanks again for trying to help.

Dale just wanted to let you know that I did some fooling around with
the "window" box colors and found the key.

I had to go into custom colors and set the 3rd set (LUM) to 1. Now I
have the complete black background that I need. Before when I had it
set to just black it made that LUM setting "0" which was producing
that grey background.

Thanks again for the help it was much appreciated.

Windows Explorer Color Customization

Post by Rob » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:14:57

Try Control Panel>Accessibilty Options>Display Tab.  You can try the High
Contrast Option.  In "Settings", you will find all the original Classic
Color Schemes.

Rob

Quote:> Let me start off saying that I am legally blind and as such use
> special color schemes. For example my default is white on black.
> Instead of the usual black on white.

> I have setup up everything with the colors I want using the "classic
> style." The only problem arises in two areas. 1) Windows Explorer and
> 2) Help and Support.

> The first in windows explorer is the right pane where in "details"
> view you see the filename, size, date etc. Well in the columns showing
> filename it is a light gray background with white letters. In all 9.X
> versions this was an all black background as was the rest.

> How do I get rid of that gray background and set it to black as is the
> rest of the pane.

> The second Help and support. On the right side where you see the
> results they have obviously hard coded it to be a dark blue color.
> Needless to say that dark blue on a black background is almost
> impossible to see.

> Any help with the Windows Explorer scenario would be much appreciated.

> Thanks.

1. specific Windows Explorer customization

Hi

In Windows Explorer, right click in the right hand pane and select View>Details, then go to Tools>Folder Options>View and click on 'Apply to All Folders'.  Re-start Windows Explorer.

Will

| In Windows Explorer the default view of files is "icons",
| how can I change the default view to "detailed" (all
| folders, not just one)???

---

2. address book

3. Windows Explorer Customization

4. Running Applications Do Not Appear in Taskbar

5. Windows CE File Explorer Customization

6. Error message: invalid operation - contact system administrator

7. Customization of Windows Explorer

8. CD-RW won't read disc's ???

9. Removing Explorer Customizations

10. Using Internet Explorer 5.5 Customization Wizard

11. Trackball Explorer Not Accepting Button-Customizations in XP

12. Explorer and Folder Customizations getting corrupted.

13. Explorer.exe hangs after Start Menu customization