Can you downsize wav files?

Post by Apek » Sat, 03 May 2003 05:47:42

Hello again:
Yesterday I posted a question seeking help converting wma
extentions to Mp3...
Well, I was able to find some freeware that also converts
to wav files. The only problem I am finding is this:
When I download a song from an audio music CD I have, I
notice the size is : 2.4 MB, but it loads onto Windows
Media Player in the Playlist only and it when I copy from
CD to harddrive thru the WMP, it saves as a wma file,
which I can't use.
After converting it to either mp3 or wav, it becomes 44 MB.
Much too big for my needs to upload into my website and
Incredimail sounds.
Is there a way I can downsize this file? I have tried
clicking on properties of the file, and compressed it, but
it only brought it down to like...40 MB.
Help?
Thank you.
Blessings,
Apeke

Can you downsize wav files?

Post by David Hollwa » Sat, 03 May 2003 07:20:19

> Hello again:
> Yesterday I posted a question seeking help converting wma
> extentions to Mp3...
> Well, I was able to find some freeware that also converts
> to wav files. The only problem I am finding is this:
> When I download a song from an audio music CD I have, I
> notice the size is : 2.4 MB, but it loads onto Windows
> Media Player in the Playlist only and it when I copy from
> CD to harddrive thru the WMP, it saves as a wma file,
> which I can't use.
> After converting it to either mp3 or wav, it becomes 44 MB.
> Much too big for my needs to upload into my website and
> Incredimail sounds.

Audio ripped from CD is 44KHz, 16bit stereo, which tends (in uncompressed
form) to come out at about 10MB/minute. The best thing you can then do is to
convert this to a compressed, albeit lossy (i.e, the parts of the audio data
that are inaudible to the human ear get thrown away) format - like MP3 or
WMA.
If you want to convert to MP3, see:
http://www.dailymp3.com/encoders.html

There's a good selection of MP3 encoders there, including some all-in-one
programs that will rip the audio data from CD and encode it automatically
for you.
I don't have a clue how you've managed to take a 2.4MB .wav file and turn it
into a 44MB MP3; that's very odd, because it should be the other way around.
At the most commonly used bitrate (128Kbps), MP3 audio data takes about
1MB/minute, and sounds almost as good (to the untrained ear, anyway) as the
original CD .wav file that was 10 times larger.

Hope this helps..

Can you downsize wav files?

Post by Galle » Sat, 03 May 2003 15:08:13

these words of wisdom:

Quote:>Hello again:
>Is there a way I can downsize this file? I have tried
>clicking on properties of the file, and compressed it, but
>it only brought it down to like...40 MB.
>Help?
>Thank you.
>Blessings,
>Apeke

Are you wanting to edit the file, so you can use just a portion of it to insert
in your e-mails?  If so, you will need to rip the song as a WAV file, and then
edit it in an audio editor.  Audacity is a nice FREE one, and will also do
conversions. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

--
The Montrel Expos - going out with a bang in 2003!

1. Mixing several wav files to disk as one wav file

I am looking for some help.  I am trying to find a way to take several wav
files and "mix" them into a final wav file to disk.  This will not be a
simple concatenation of files.  For example: I will have one 5-minute wav
file and 5 other short wav files of various lengths ranging from 10-30
seconds.  I need to end up with a final wav file that is 5 minutes long that
has the short wav files "mixed" into the long wav file.  This will include
"fade downs" of the long file before each short file is played, and then
"fade ups" after each short file is finished (like a radio commercial).  I
think this will prove to be most difficult unless I can find some APIs to do
this for me.  Most of the information I have found is just file formats for
wav files.  I also took an initial glance at the MCI functions, and they
seemed to deal more with playing and mixing wav files coming from disk with
the intention of being "played" through the sound card.  I know there are
products off the shelf that will do this for me, but that won't do in this
case (it a requirement from the client).  Any help or directions on where to
look would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tim

2. where is WWWusage ?

3. software for batch downsizing of audio files

4. Executable Question

5. convert .ram file to .wav file or .mp3 file

6. Reply causes the email to be copied on the clipboard

7. Canned emails

8. desktop.lnk

9. cans shut down only restart

10. MS Replies to mt Intellipoint 5.0 request - not a canned reply!!!

11. ASP email program - canned

12. Canned Air Cleaner

13. Data entry w/ canned comments