"importing" previous/old outlook express email folders to outlook express 6.0

"importing" previous/old outlook express email folders to outlook express 6.0

Post by Sandra Groesche » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 06:30:46

How does one bring previous outlook express folders (WIN
ME) into outlook express 6.0 under WIN XP?  I was
successful importing my address book but cannot seem to
do the same with my email folders.  Also, since the new
outlook has some of the same named folders (i.e. inbox,
sent, etc) do these folders get appended?  If not, what
does one do to prevent overwriting the new folders?

Post by Kath » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:13:15

> How does one bring previous outlook express folders (WIN
> ME) into outlook express 6.0 under WIN XP?  I was
> successful importing my address book but cannot seem to
> do the same with my email folders.  Also, since the new
> outlook has some of the same named folders (i.e. inbox,
> sent, etc) do these folders get appended?  If not, what
> does one do to prevent overwriting the new folders?

1) 313055 - OLEXP: Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are
Missing
After You Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q313055

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm

"importing" previous/old outlook express email folders to outlook express 6.0

Post by Margare » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:21:11

Hi there,

For extensive instructions on manually backing up and restoring all your OE
stuff including messages, address book, rules, etc., see
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/.  Or, for a utility program that will do it
all for you, see www.tweakie.com.
--
Margaret
MSMVP

Quote:> How does one bring previous outlook express folders (WIN
> ME) into outlook express 6.0 under WIN XP?  I was
> successful importing my address book but cannot seem to
> do the same with my email folders.  Also, since the new
> outlook has some of the same named folders (i.e. inbox,
> sent, etc) do these folders get appended?  If not, what
> does one do to prevent overwriting the new folders?

1. Folder set "Read-Only" automatically SO Can't Import Msgs To Outlook Express

Hi All!

I have been experiencing this extremely frustrating problem today, on my
computer using the Windows XP Home operating system. What happens is that
all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, the folder setting gets set to
"Read-Only". When you right click on the folder, and click on properties,
you can see that "Read-Only" property is selected. Well, I don't want the
folder to be read only, so I uncheck the box, click on apply and then on
okay. Immediately after than, when I right click on the folder again, lo and
behold, the Read-Only box is checked again!!!

I researched on Google and many people are having same problems as me and
other people are suggesting that "Read-Only" on Folder means nothing to
Windows XP.

They are referring to MSKB Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;326549

But if that's true, why can't I import DBX files into Outlook Express (v6) ?
When I use Import Wizard in Outlook Express 6 to import DBX files that I
exported from another computer, it says << No messages can be found in this
folder or another application is running that has the required files open.
Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files
open. >>

By looking at this MSKB Article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=252603,
it says <<This behavior can occur if the files that you try to import have
the read-only attribute set. The read-only attribute can be set if you copy
the .dbx files to a CD-ROM by using a CD-R or CD-RW device.>>

It is true that the folder that the DBX files located is set to "grayed"
checked. I can't removed no matter what. But many folks on the net have been
said that "it means nothing" to Windows.

So why can't I import DBX files to Outlook Express using Imports Wizard???

Please help me get out of frustration!!!

Many many thanks!!!

Don

2. importing excel into address book

3. Unable to import outlook express 5.5 to outlook express 6.0

4. PPPoE Issue

5. Anyone know how to import outlook express 5.0 messages to outlook express 6.0?

6. favorites

7. Tranferring old emails in to outlook express from outlook express!

8. WMP 9 Release very unstable

9. copying address book from "express" to "outlook"

10. Outlook Express "hangs" with "Not Resonding"

11. "Address Book Failed to Load." "Outlook Express is incorrectly configured."

12. Imports e-mails & address Book from Pegues email application to Outlook Express 6.0

13. Transfer previous Outlook Express info to new XP Outlook Express