error with *.dbx file

Post by Althaf Kha » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:40:02

Dear All,

I am facing a prolem with Outlook Express6.

Some of my *.dbx file sizes are automatically changed to 59KB and I lost all
the messages in that folder and my send item folder is currept. when ever I
am trying to open a msg it is displaing the following msg

"Message could not be displayed
Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again.
Outlook Express "

So, what could be the problem?. Please explain me how to restore the my
folders back to its original stage. unfortunately i dont have any backup.

Thanks & Regards

Althaf Khan

error with *.dbx file

Post by PA Bea » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 16:54:56

Windows version?

Why it happens:

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
   http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption....

Recovering data: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DBXtract
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

DBXtend (additional functionality)
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtend/Default.aspx

DBXpress (faster, more powerful, with even greater functionality)
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

OEX (OE Enhancement Program)
http://www.oehelp.com/OEX/Default.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Avoid Such Corruption in Future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline".  More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not shut down your machine while Windows is
automatically compacting your message store.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

> Dear All,

> I am facing a prolem with Outlook Express6.

> Some of my *.dbx file sizes are automatically changed to 59KB and I lost
> all the messages in that folder and my send item folder is currept. when
> ever I am trying to open a msg it is displaing the following msg

> "Message could not be displayed
> Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
> message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try
> again.
> Outlook Express "

> So, what could be the problem?. Please explain me how to restore the my
> folders back to its original stage. unfortunately i dont have any backup.

> Thanks & Regards

> Althaf Khan

error with *.dbx file

Post by Althaf Kha » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:11:02

Dear Robear Dyer (PA Bear),

Thanks for your msg.

I am using windows XP pro with SP2.
With Norton Antivirus 2006.

I will explain you in brief, what happens before causing this problem.

While I was closing outlook Express6, it triggered one msg asking compact
outlook msg to free disk space and then I pressed -yes

after that next day when I open OE6, I found all msg in some of the my
folders are disappeared  and send items  msg were corrupt.

I tried so many ways to get the data back by using recovery softwares, even
though I didn't succeed.

Hope you understands my problem completely.

awaiting your reply.

Althaf Khan

> Windows version?

> Why it happens:

> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone
>    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption....

> Recovering data: http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> DBXtract
> http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

> DBXtend (additional functionality)
> http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtend/Default.aspx

> DBXpress (faster, more powerful, with even greater functionality)
> http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

> OEX (OE Enhancement Program)
> http://www.oehelp.com/OEX/Default.aspx
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Avoid Such Corruption in Future:

> - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.

> - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

> - Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
> compact of all OE folders while "working offline".  More at
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

> - WinXP SP2 only: Do not shut down your machine while Windows is
> automatically compacting your message store.

> - Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
> corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

> > Dear All,

> > I am facing a prolem with Outlook Express6.

> > Some of my *.dbx file sizes are automatically changed to 59KB and I lost
> > all the messages in that folder and my send item folder is currept. when
> > ever I am trying to open a msg it is displaing the following msg

> > "Message could not be displayed
> > Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
> > message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try
> > again.
> > Outlook Express "

> > So, what could be the problem?. Please explain me how to restore the my
> > folders back to its original stage. unfortunately i dont have any backup.

> > Thanks & Regards

> > Althaf Khan

error with *.dbx file

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP O » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:43:37

Quote:> Dear Robear Dyer (PA Bear),

> Thanks for your msg.

> I am using windows XP pro with SP2.
> With Norton Antivirus 2006.

> I will explain you in brief, what happens before causing this problem.

> While I was closing outlook Express6, it triggered one msg asking compact
> outlook msg to free disk space and then I pressed -yes

> after that next day when I open OE6, I found all msg in some of the my
> folders are disappeared  and send items  msg were corrupt.

> I tried so many ways to get the data back by using recovery softwares,
> even
> though I didn't succeed.

Did you close Windows before the compacting was finished?

In OE click Help | About.  What is the version number of Directdb.dll?  If
it's 6.00.2900.2905 you're in luck.

If not, go to Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder and see where OE
is storing its files.  Close OE and open Windows Explorer.  Click Tools |
Folder Options | View and make sure Show hidden files and folders is
selected.  Go to OE's store folder.  Are there DBX or DBT files for the
missing folders?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup

error with *.dbx file

Post by PA Bea » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:36:31

I've given you all the resources I know of to enable you to recover the
missing messages.  If none of them help, they're gone.

Look in OE Help > About > Files: If DIRECTDC.DLL is *not* v6.0.2900.2905,
installing KB918766 will help to avoid the issue in the future:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=86b68a78-f32...
--
~PA Bear

> [...]

> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

> > > Dear All,

> > > I am facing a prolem with Outlook Express6.

> > > Some of my *.dbx file sizes are automatically changed to 59KB and I
> > > lost all the messages in that folder and my send item folder is
> > > currept. when ever I am trying to open a msg it is displaing the
> > > following msg

> > > "Message could not be displayed
> > > Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying
> > > this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space
> > > and try again.
> > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > Outlook Express "

> > > So, what could be the problem?. Please explain me how to restore the
> > > my folders back to its original stage. unfortunately i dont have any

error with *.dbx file

Post by Steve Cochra » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:17:15

You got hit with the compaction bug.  See points 2 and 3 here:
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx and also point 4 for message recovery techniques.

The only recourse I know to recover the messages would be DBXpress:
www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/  and its exclusive extract from disk function that
will analyze every disk cluster on the hard drive for messages.

steve

> [...]

>> > Dear All,

>> > I am facing a prolem with Outlook Express6.

>> > Some of my *.dbx file sizes are automatically changed to 59KB and I
>> > lost
>> > all the messages in that folder and my send item folder is currept.
>> > when
>> > ever I am trying to open a msg it is displaing the following msg

>> > "Message could not be displayed
>> > Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this
>> > message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try
>> > again.
>> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > Outlook Express "

>> > So, what could be the problem?. Please explain me how to restore the my
>> > folders back to its original stage. unfortunately i dont have any

1. Lost quite a few *.dbx files after File Compact

I have ie 6.00.  I do the regular updates from microsoft.  The other day I
did a file compaction on my mail folders, and regretfully I didn't backup
immediately before.  Many of my mail folders came through fine, but many
others ended up empty.  Still others seem to be there and intact when I
track down the <name>.dbx file, but in oex the folders are empty.

Is there a way out of this mess without looking lots and lots of important
mail?

thanks

Joel Goldstick

2. please help with MS fax

3. Outlook *.pst email files vs. Outlook Express *.dbx files

4. installing Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT

5. Problem restoring *.dbx file

6. 1st. Secret.

7. OE6's *.dbx files cached somewhere in Win2000 environment?

8. Problems with newMedia and newPlaylist in WMP7.1

9. Problem viewing my *.dbx files

10. how can i use the *.dbx of outlook-express files from a portable storage disk??

11. Retention of *.dbx files in OE6

12. Any way to recover *.dbx files that were accidentally written over when switchin

13. Converting *.dbx files