Moving OE Express Newsgroups to a new computer?

Moving OE Express Newsgroups to a new computer?

Post by Bill » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:37:19

Hi, I'm moving from a Windows 98SE laptop to a new Windows 2000 laptop. Both machine
have the latest IE6.

On my 98SE machine I've been using outlook Express for my newsgroups (NOT email) for
years. I've got lots & lots of watched message threads, many of which I'm still
monitoring.

I would like to move all my newsgroups from the 98SE machine to the 2000 machine. I've
already exported & imported my account settings, I know where my store folder is, and
after four hours of trying various tactics I can't figure out how to move my newsgroups
to the new machine.

PLEASE, is there a way to move OE newsgroups from one computer to another???

Moving OE Express Newsgroups to a new computer?

Post by DGues » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:10:06

Quote:> Hi, I'm moving from a Windows 98SE laptop to a new Windows 2000 laptop.
> Both machine
> have the latest IE6.

> On my 98SE machine I've been using outlook Express for my newsgroups (NOT
> email) for
> years. I've got lots & lots of watched message threads, many of which I'm
> still
> monitoring.

> I would like to move all my newsgroups from the 98SE machine to the 2000
> machine. I've
> already exported & imported my account settings, I know where my store
> folder is, and
> after four hours of trying various tactics I can't figure out how to move
> my newsgroups
> to the new machine.

> PLEASE, is there a way to move OE newsgroups from one computer to
> another???

Yes, but you have to clone the Windows 98SE Identity to the WIn2K machine.

I would suggest you make a central location for the emails which would make
it a lot easier.

Create a folder on the C drive and name it Mail.
Open OE, go to Tools | Options | Maintenance tab
Press the Store Folders button.
Press Change and navigate to the C:\Mail folder. Select it them press OK.
Now back out of OE and close it.
When you restart it, it will automatically move the message stores to the
C:\Mail folder.

Now, you need to copy the complete C:\Mail folder to the Win2k machine.
Next, open Regedit, and navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Identites subkey.
Explorer it as  Idents.reg

Now, navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB subkey and
export it as WAB.reg
Now, navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Accounts
Manager subkey and export it as IAM.reg

Now, take those three .reg files and import them into the Win2k machine.
(right click on the .reg file and select Merge).

Now the machines are cloned and the messages are showing the same.

Post by Bill » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 01:30:31

> > Hi, I'm moving from a Windows 98SE laptop to a new Windows 2000 laptop.
> > Both machine
> > have the latest IE6.

> > On my 98SE machine I've been using outlook Express for my newsgroups (NOT
> > email) for
> > years. I've got lots & lots of watched message threads, many of which I'm
> > still
> > monitoring.

> > I would like to move all my newsgroups from the 98SE machine to the 2000
> > machine. I've
> > already exported & imported my account settings, I know where my store
> > folder is, and
> > after four hours of trying various tactics I can't figure out how to move
> > my newsgroups
> > to the new machine.

> > PLEASE, is there a way to move OE newsgroups from one computer to
> > another???

> Yes, but you have to clone the Windows 98SE Identity to the WIn2K machine.

> I would suggest you make a central location for the emails which would make
> it a lot easier.

> Create a folder on the C drive and name it Mail.
> Open OE, go to Tools | Options | Maintenance tab
> Press the Store Folders button.
> Press Change and navigate to the C:\Mail folder. Select it them press OK.
> Now back out of OE and close it.
> When you restart it, it will automatically move the message stores to the
> C:\Mail folder.

This I have tried in many different ways. Some newsgroups move over, some don't. And it
seems that the Store Folder folder structure is very important and possibly different
between the new machines.

The Store Folder location on 98SE points to what looks like a folder named like a GUID.
The actual messages are two folder levels below that. When I do something similar in
Win2K, none of the newsgroups move over. When I point directly to the bottom folder with
the newsgroup messages all the corporate newsgroups copy over (MS, Corel, Macromedia)
but the local Comcast newsroups don't - and the newsgroup account settings get messed up
(Corel settings become MS, MS settings become Macromedia, Comcast settings disappear)
AH!!!

Quote:

> Now, you need to copy the complete C:\Mail folder to the Win2k machine.
> Next, open Regedit, and navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Identites subkey.
> Explorer it as  Idents.reg

> Now, navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB subkey and
> export it as WAB.reg
> Now, navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Accounts
> Manager subkey and export it as IAM.reg

> Now, take those three .reg files and import them into the Win2k machine.
> (right click on the .reg file and select Merge).

Are you saying that I move the messages FIRST, and then the newsgroup accounts AFTER?

Post by DGues » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 02:04:44

> [...]

> get messed up
> (Corel settings become MS, MS settings become Macromedia, Comcast settings
> disappear)
> AH!!!

>> Now, you need to copy the complete C:\Mail folder to the Win2k machine.
>> Next, open Regedit, and navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Identites
>> subkey.
>> Explorer it as  Idents.reg

>> Now, navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB subkey and
>> export it as WAB.reg
>> Now, navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
>> Accounts
>> Manager subkey and export it as IAM.reg

>> Now, take those three .reg files and import them into the Win2k machine.
>> (right click on the .reg file and select Merge).

> Are you saying that I move the messages FIRST, and then the newsgroup

Make a folder on the WIn2K machine of the same name you did on the Win98SE
machine (C:\Mail)
Move ALL the dbx files to this folder.    If you don't get ALL of them, you
won't have it work.
Export the subkeys shown from Win98SE machine
Import the keys into the Win2k machine

Just don't have OE running on any machine when doing any of this.

Moving OE Express Newsgroups to a new computer?

Post by Bill » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 04:36:07

Quote:"DGuess" wrote...

:

Quote:> Make a folder on the WIn2K machine of the same name you did on the Win98SE
> machine (C:\Mail)
> Move ALL the dbx files to this folder.    If you don't get ALL of them, you
> won't have it work.
> Export the subkeys shown from Win98SE machine
> Import the keys into the Win2k machine

> Just don't have OE running on any machine when doing any of this.

Ah, now I see what's going on.
According to this website:
http://oedbx.aroh.de/

the .DBX format contains the registry key of the newsgroup account. I had the accounts
in different sequential order. That's why you want me to export then import the registry
keys - the .DBX file needs to see them exactly.

I'll give it a shot & let you know!

Moving OE Express Newsgroups to a new computer?

Post by Bill » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 06:11:03

It worked! Assuming you see this - I'm posting this from the Windows 2000 computer, on
the watched thread.

THANKS, DGuess!

Bill.

Moving OE Express Newsgroups to a new computer?

Post by DGues » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:29:29

Quote:> It worked! Assuming you see this - I'm posting this from the Windows 2000
> computer, on
> the watched thread.

> THANKS, DGuess!

> Bill.

Of course it worked. I haven't been telling people how to do it for years
for nothing :-)

Moving OE Express Newsgroups to a new computer?

<ROFL>

Post by Bill » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 02:48:48

> > It worked! Assuming you see this - I'm posting this from the Windows 2000
> > computer, on
> > the watched thread.

> > THANKS, DGuess!

> > Bill.

> Of course it worked. I haven't been telling people how to do it for years
> for nothing :-)

Well, you seem to be the only one that knows... so many websites say that it can't be
done. The trick is that each of the .DBX files reference the exact registry key of the
associated newsgroup account, which means that the newsgroup accounts in the registry
must be in the same numerical order as on the original computer.

BTW, I installed the newsgroup files in a different folder than the original, because
that makes no difference.

Post by DGues » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 05:21:02

>> > It worked! Assuming you see this - I'm posting this from the Windows
>> > 2000
>> > computer, on
>> > the watched thread.

>> > THANKS, DGuess!

>> > Bill.

>> Of course it worked. I haven't been telling people how to do it for years
>> for nothing :-)

> Well, you seem to be the only one that knows... so many websites say that
> it can't be
> done. The trick is that each of the .DBX files reference the exact
> registry key of the
> associated newsgroup account, which means that the newsgroup accounts in
> the registry
> must be in the same numerical order as on the original computer.

> BTW, I installed the newsgroup files in a different folder than the
> original, because
> that makes no difference.

Bill,

I couldn't begin to count how many times I've posted that answer on here and
other OE related groups.

Then add the other MVPs, it's been online a lot.

The {USER_ID} is the key to keeping it all. The locations 9x and 2k/XP store
the dbx files are also different, that's why it's best to create a central
folder off the root drive, all OS's know where it's at then. A lot of people
also don't realize that the {USER_ID} is also in the Folders.dbx file and
that same file is where the whole structure of what groups and folders are
where. Without it, it won't import, and without it when run  a new one is
created that has only the mail folders (subfolder become folder so structure
is lost) retained, news is totally lost.

Folders.dbx contains the following:

Default mail folder names.
User created mail folder names.
Structure of the folders/subfolders.
Available newsgroups for all news accounts.
subscribed newsgroups for all news accounts.

Without it, you lose a lot........