Microsoft is out of control.... I think Windows ME is horrible as is any software with a six in the title

Microsoft is out of control.... I think Windows ME is horrible as is any software with a six in the title

Post by peoplework » Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:57:32

My Gatesnoia convinces me that they are doing this on purpose. How can a
group that supposedly has the most programming experience on the planet
create proggys that are so buggy??  One scenario says it is on purpose to
get you to try the next version. When you have a monopoly you can play the
game and care less if the public is not amused. They will have to use the
stupid software anyway because there is no alternative.

 For the record, My opinion is:

Windows ME only supports a few scanners because they want you to do things
their way. If the scanner maker doesn't have this particular procedure, it
can't work on ME. If you try to install a scanner and go to the 'scanners
and cameras' icon and do an 'add device' procedure, NO scanners show up in
the box. That is not an accident. Any devices that haven't complied with
writing the proper .inf file Windows' way CAN'T be installed. I thought
Microsoft was on the carpet for this kind of activity?

If you upgrade to ME from 98, certain USB devices won't work, so you have to
buy the full version. There is no way to get them to work under the upgrade.
Now don't most people buy the upgrade? If you really cared about your
customers wouldn't you make the most popular proggy work with the most
peripherals? That is not an accident.

When you try the Outlook Express 6.0 beta and find that it is a magic jammer
and try to uninstall it it says that it is unable to complete the uninstall
and 5.5 disappears and you can't get it back. You find that the only version
on the website is now version 5.0.  Magically though, all the 6.0
capabilities are still there even if the splash screen says 5.0. Accident??
Wouldn't the prime objective in a beta proggy be in the evaluator's ability
to uninstall it and get back the working version??   Additionally, why are
we all partners in business with Microsoft in that we DEBUG THEIR PROGRAMS
FOR THEM???

If you try to disable Windows Instant Messenger and use hotmail, it won't
let you respond to messages, but will close IE and make you reboot. You have
to disable it just before you start typing or it comes back. Someone tell me
why IM keeps opening itself when you are using hotmail.  Is it the SNOOP
network at work?

Anyone ever check their .LOG files?? Windows is keeping track of an amazing
array of your activities in those .log files. Ever wonder why? Windows Tech
can download all those files in a hurry if they want. Accident?

RE: Tech support. Isn't if funny how you get your 90 days no charge support
when you buy the software and then it costs an arm and a leg from then on?
They are glad to let you use the 'windows update' part of their website but
won't support any problems that that may cause. I wonder what revenue stream
comes from our paying for support for proggys that they used us to debug in
the first place?

Paranoia catharsis akimbo ..... SOMEBODY PLEASE INVENT A GOOD OPERATING
SYSTEM. YOU HAVE A BUILT- IN CUSTOMER BASE  . BILL GATES AND HIS SOFTWARE
NAZIS HAVE DONE THAT FOR YOU WITH THEIR ARROGANCE AND MEGALOMANIA.... Help!

Microsoft is out of control.... I think Windows ME is horrible as is any software with a six in the title

Post by telg » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:43:28

Go protest in Microsoft!!!!!!

Agree !

[...]

Post by Ben » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 07:10:44

... just your opinion. Lots of rant, little facts. By the way, you are
not REQUIRED to use beta software. The debugging is done by the REAL
beta testers, not people like you using PREVIEWS.

Ben
----------------------------

My Gatesnoia convinces me that they are doing this on purpose. How can
a group that supposedly has the most programming experience on the
planet create proggys that are so buggy??  One scenario says it is on
purpose to get you to try the next version. When you have a monopoly
you can play the game and care less if the public is not amused. They
will have to use the stupid software anyway because there is no
alternative.

[snip] ....

Microsoft is out of control.... I think Windows ME is horrible as is any software with a six in the title

Post by Ben Carte » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:37:27

Hey Ben II, he's mostly talking about ME which is not beta software. I agree
with his points. Microsoft does not appear care about making its customers
happy. adhering to standards, or producing excellent quality. It has some
other agenda.

Ben I

> ... just your opinion. Lots of rant, little facts. By the way, you are
> not REQUIRED to use beta software. The debugging is done by the REAL
> beta testers, not people like you using PREVIEWS.

> Ben
> ----------------------------

> My Gatesnoia convinces me that they are doing this on purpose. How can
> a group that supposedly has the most programming experience on the
> planet create proggys that are so buggy??  One scenario says it is on
> purpose to get you to try the next version. When you have a monopoly
> you can play the game and care less if the public is not amused. They
> will have to use the stupid software anyway because there is no
> alternative.

> [snip] ....

Microsoft is out of control.... I think Windows ME is horrible as is any software with a six in the title

Post by Ben Carte » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:40:07

Quote:> My Gatesnoia convinces me that they are doing this on purpose. How can a
> group that supposedly has the most programming experience on the planet
> create proggys that are so buggy??

I wonder too. Are they inept, careless or just know they don't have to try?

Quote:>One scenario says it is on purpose to
> get you to try the next version. When you have a monopoly you can play the
> game and care less if the public is not amused. They will have to use the
> stupid software anyway because there is no alternative.

Hard to argue against that.

<snip> all good points

How about Windows Media Player not allowing you to write MP3s? Or how OE
only exports messages to Outlook/Exchange? Or how OE and Outlook both share
embarrassing word wrapping http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt

Or how "Find People" completely does not work in ME? Or how, it didn't
support the Soundblaster live? etc etc

Don't even start on the ME's much hyped movie maker. It's managed to make
the iMac look professional.

Thank God for the System Restore, is all I can say. You sure need to use it.

Ben