Icons Icons Icons!!!

Post by Chri » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 09:27:46

Hi all,

I have Windows XP Pro and IE6.  You know what irritates
me?  When I add a URL to favorites, sometimes (depending
on the website, I'm sure) it shows up with an icon that's
obviously coming from the website itself somehow.
Example:  When I added Google to my favorites several
years ago, it had a colorful "G" for an icon.  This sort
of thing happened with a lot of my favorites, but for some
reason, they all lose whatever icons they had over time,
and are now all the boring blue "E".  Where can I get a
huge list of icon files, does anyone know?  Not really a
big deal, but I like to have colorful desktops that have
variety.  The blue "E" is getting old!  Thanks a million!

Chris

Icons Icons Icons!!!

Post by Jim Byr » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 09:34:59

Hi Chris - These are known as favicons.ico (Favorite Icons) and they
normally will only last until your Internet Explorer Temp files are
cleared.

You need to get a program called FavOrg here:
http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/download/0/1071/favorg.zip  which
will allow you to save them permanently in a different folder and
re-associate your favorites with the stored icons.  (It will also verify
whether your links in Favorites are stll good, BTW.)

If you want to read more about it first, go here:

Regards, Jim Byrd

Quote:> Hi all,

> I have Windows XP Pro and IE6.  You know what irritates
> me?  When I add a URL to favorites, sometimes (depending
> on the website, I'm sure) it shows up with an icon that's
> obviously coming from the website itself somehow.
> Example:  When I added Google to my favorites several
> years ago, it had a colorful "G" for an icon.  This sort
> of thing happened with a lot of my favorites, but for some
> reason, they all lose whatever icons they had over time,
> and are now all the boring blue "E".  Where can I get a
> huge list of icon files, does anyone know?  Not really a
> big deal, but I like to have colorful desktops that have
> variety.  The blue "E" is getting old!  Thanks a million!

> Chris

1. Icons Icons Icons!

Hi all,

I have Windows XP Pro and IE6.  You know what irritates
me?  When I add a URL to favorites, sometimes (depending
on the website, I'm sure) it shows up with an icon that's
obviously coming from the website itself somehow.
Example:  When I added Google to my favorites several
years ago, it had a colorful "G" for an icon.  This sort
of thing happened with a lot of my favorites, but for some
reason, they all lose whatever icons they had over time,
and are now all the boring blue "E".  Where can I get a
huge list of icon files, does anyone know?  Not really a
big deal, but I like to have colorful desktops that have
variety.  The blue "E" is getting old!  Thanks a million!

Chris

2. importing passwords

3. ICON CACHE- Address bar icons/favorite icons

4. 2 Hubs & 2 Network Cards on 1 Server - Question

5. Using Icon Workshop to open and edit icons but keep default icons

6. Adding a NT4.0 client to a win2K domain

7. Explorer Icons are covering other icons....

8. diskpart Question

9. some special links icons revert to IE icon upon reboot

10. Old icons switched to IE icon

11. IE icon gone in Address Bar; replaced with generic icon.

12. Special Favorites Icons change back to IE icon

13. divider icon from cursor icon???