XP & OLE5.5/OLE6 mystery

Post by Bill » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 01:14:42

I just noticed something I can't explain...

My OLE6 splash screen says 5.5 and only 2 of the .DLLs listed in the
'Help/About...' window show 6.00 (mshtml and msident).  There are a number
of 5.5 DLLs with (xpclient 010817-1148) listed after the name, which is the
same version listed for the XP IE6 install.  The toolbar icons are 5.5, not
the 6 more colorful versions like on my office XP Pro.

This home PC was a Win2K Pro, w/ IE6 upgrade, to WinXP Pro.  The office PC
was which was upgraded from Win2Kk Pro running IE5.5 (no interim IE6) to XP
Pro.  Does anyone know if this is why??  Everything works, but it is
annoying, visually.

Thanks!
Billy

XP & OLE5.5/OLE6 mystery

Post by Steve Cochra » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 02:56:57

Not a clue what could have done that.  You might try reinstalling and choose the R option to repair when it gets to the text screens.

steve

> I just noticed something I can't explain...

> My OLE6 splash screen says 5.5 and only 2 of the .DLLs listed in the
> 'Help/About...' window show 6.00 (mshtml and msident).  There are a number
> of 5.5 DLLs with (xpclient 010817-1148) listed after the name, which is the
> same version listed for the XP IE6 install.  The toolbar icons are 5.5, not
> the 6 more colorful versions like on my office XP Pro.

> This home PC was a Win2K Pro, w/ IE6 upgrade, to WinXP Pro.  The office PC
> was which was upgraded from Win2Kk Pro running IE5.5 (no interim IE6) to XP
> Pro.  Does anyone know if this is why??  Everything works, but it is
> annoying, visually.

> Thanks!
> Billy

XP & OLE5.5/OLE6 mystery

Post by Sky Kin » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 07:45:55

Hi:

Not sure I understand.  I think you are saying that the home system is
showing 5.5 file references.  Is that correct?

Yet you state that the home system had already been upgraded to IE 6.0 while
still in the Win2000 configuration.  So not sure how any 5.5 references got
into that picture during the XP upgrade.

Without more info it is pretty much impossible to suggest a course of
action.  Please post back, and be sure to clearly delineate what you see on
the home system versus any other system.

--

...Sky

MS MVP - DTS
=============

Quote:> I just noticed something I can't explain...

> My OLE6 splash screen says 5.5 and only 2 of the .DLLs listed in the
> 'Help/About...' window show 6.00 (mshtml and msident).  There are a number
> of 5.5 DLLs with (xpclient 010817-1148) listed after the name, which is
the
> same version listed for the XP IE6 install.  The toolbar icons are 5.5,
not
> the 6 more colorful versions like on my office XP Pro.

> This home PC was a Win2K Pro, w/ IE6 upgrade, to WinXP Pro.  The office PC
> was which was upgraded from Win2Kk Pro running IE5.5 (no interim IE6) to
XP
> Pro.  Does anyone know if this is why??  Everything works, but it is
> annoying, visually.

XP & OLE5.5/OLE6 mystery

Post by Bill » Sun, 03 Mar 2002 08:37:49

Home system progression:

Win2K Pro, IE5.5 w/ latest SP ---->  IE6 upgrade ---->  WinXP Pro upgrade.
Still has OLE5.5 splash screen, grey toolbar icons and mostly 5.5 DLLs
listed in Help/About scrolling list (except for those listed in first msg).
Says version is OLE 5.50.4803.1700

Work PC progression:

Win2K Pro, IE & OLE 5.5 w/ latest SP ---->  WinXP Pro upgrade.
OLE 6.0 splash screen, colored toolbar icons and 6.0 DLLs in Help/About
scrolling list.

Everything works fine, but this is a big mystery.
Billy

XP & OLE5.5/OLE6 mystery

Post by Tom Koc » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:49:14

Installing IE6 upgrade on Win2K does not automatically upgrade OE. I
would have thought that installing XP as an upgrade would have done so,
but apparently not.

--
----Please post questions and replies in the newsgroups----
Tom Koch MVP

Quote:> Home system progression:

> Win2K Pro, IE5.5 w/ latest SP ---->  IE6 upgrade ---->  WinXP Pro
upgrade.
> Still has OLE5.5 splash screen, grey toolbar icons and mostly 5.5 DLLs
> listed in Help/About scrolling list (except for those listed in first
msg).
> Says version is OLE 5.50.4803.1700

> Work PC progression:

> Win2K Pro, IE & OLE 5.5 w/ latest SP ---->  WinXP Pro upgrade.
> OLE 6.0 splash screen, colored toolbar icons and 6.0 DLLs in
Help/About
> scrolling list.

> Everything works fine, but this is a big mystery.
> Billy

XP & OLE5.5/OLE6 mystery

Post by Bill » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 07:09:46

Interesting feedback.

Since there are numerous OLE5.5 DLLs listed with (xpclient....) after them,
it appears it does not upgrade to pure OLE6.0 on an XP upgrade either.

I'm going to try and do an XP repair and see what happens.  Also, I know
some people in MS Redmond that I'm going to fire this to.

Or, maybe there's an MVP out here that may have some connections.

Thanks to all!
Billy

XP & OLE5.5/OLE6 mystery

Post by Cedric D'Souz » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 10:29:22

Hi,
When opening .jpg files. I get a "Do you want to continue running scripts on
this page? " error message. Clicking Yes a couple of times to clear the box;
does not open the file
 Any assistance is appreciated
Cedric

XP & OLE5.5/OLE6 mystery

Post by Tom Koc » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 22:14:43

Hi Cedric,

It sounds as if you have the registry values for the old OE4 slideshow
feature still in your Identity's configuration. Take a look here for
instructions on removing those:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe5/faqs/how.htm#slideshow

Also, I notice that you began an entirely new thread (conversation) by
clicking Reply to another message. Please do not do that, as it causes
your message to be grouped with totally unrelated messages. In other
words, don't click "Reply to group" unless your message really is a
reply to another message. Use the "Write Message" button instead
(File|New|News Message). Thanks.

--
----Please post questions and replies in the newsgroups----
Tom Koch MVP
Awareness is free.
Outlook Express 5 FAQs:   www.tomsterdam.com/insideOE5/faqs

Quote:> Hi,
> When opening .jpg files. I get a "Do you want to continue running
scripts on
> this page? " error message. Clicking Yes a couple of times to clear
the box;
> does not open the file
>  Any assistance is appreciated
> Cedric

XP & OLE5.5/OLE6 mystery

Post by Cedric D'Souz » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 02:50:23

Thanks Tom - it worked as indicated.
I apologize for replying to the wrong thread earlier - will remember that:)
Cedric