mailto built with Javascript not working Outlook Express

mailto built with Javascript not working Outlook Express

Post by Bill Buntai » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:33:01

I am trying to write a Javascript function that allows a Web site visitor to
e-mail a link to a Web page. The script tested successfully with a Microsoft
Outlook client, but does not work on a machine with Outlook Express
6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) running on Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. The Javascript builds the
following string:

mailto:&subject=A page from the Acaciawood School Website&body=Acaciawood
School Home Page (http://www.awschool.org/index.htm)

When the Javascript statement (window.location = mailToURL) is executed, it
transfers control to the mail dialog, but places the entire string following
"mailto:" in the "To" field.  The same thing happens if I enter this string
in the Run dialog from the Start menu.  I cannot see anything wrong with the
syntax of the mailto command.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

mailto built with Javascript not working Outlook Express

Post by DGues » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:58:26

Try:

Acaciawood School Website&body=Acaciawood School Home Page
(http://www.awschool.org/index.htm)">ClickHere for Some Reason</A>

Quote:>I am trying to write a Javascript function that allows a Web site visitor
> e-mail a link to a Web page. The script tested successfully with a
> Microsoft
> Outlook client, but does not work on a machine with Outlook Express
> 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) running on Microsoft Windows XP
> Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. The Javascript builds the
> following string:

> mailto:&subject=A page from the Acaciawood School Website&body=Acaciawood
> School Home Page (http://www.awschool.org/index.htm)

> When the Javascript statement (window.location = mailToURL) is executed,
> it
> transfers control to the mail dialog, but places the entire string
> following
> "mailto:" in the "To" field.  The same thing happens if I enter this
> string
> in the Run dialog from the Start menu.  I cannot see anything wrong with
> the
> syntax of the mailto command.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

mailto built with Javascript not working Outlook Express

Post by DGues » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 02:06:38

See this page as well

http://www.webreference.com/js/column70/7.html
and pages near it. You should be able to modify the code from there.

Quote:>I am trying to write a Javascript function that allows a Web site visitor
> e-mail a link to a Web page. The script tested successfully with a
> Microsoft
> Outlook client, but does not work on a machine with Outlook Express
> 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) running on Microsoft Windows XP
> Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. The Javascript builds the
> following string:

> mailto:&subject=A page from the Acaciawood School Website&body=Acaciawood
> School Home Page (http://www.awschool.org/index.htm)

> When the Javascript statement (window.location = mailToURL) is executed,
> it
> transfers control to the mail dialog, but places the entire string
> following
> "mailto:" in the "To" field.  The same thing happens if I enter this
> string
> in the Run dialog from the Start menu.  I cannot see anything wrong with
> the
> syntax of the mailto command.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

mailto built with Javascript not working Outlook Express

Post by Bill Buntai » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:09:02

Thanks for your response, but it did not solve my problem. I modified the
code to use the escape function on both the Subject and the Body. The
resulting command (testing from a local copy) is as follows:

mailto:&subject=A page from the Acaciawood School Website&body=Acaciawood
School Home Page (file:///C:/AWS%20Website%20Class/AWSWeb/index.htm)

Again, the code works fine with Microsoft Outlook, which parses the string
properly and places the subject and body in their respective fields, but not
with Outlook Express. To my eye it meets the RFC requirements, but when the
Outlook Express dialog box opens it shows:

To: &subject=A page from the Acaciawood School Website&body=Acaciawood
School Home Page (file:///C:/AWS%20Website%20Class/AWSWeb/index.htm)

I have tested from the Run command. Even if I put in a phony ID such as

Website&body=Acaciawood School Home Page
(file:///C:/AWS%20Website%20Class/AWSWeb/index.htm)

It appears that Outlook Express is not recognizing the ampersand as a field
delimiter. My best guess is that I have a configuration problem or a module
that does not parse the mailto command correctly, but I don't know what to
look for.

> See this page as well

> http://www.webreference.com/js/column70/7.html
> and pages near it. You should be able to modify the code from there.

> >I am trying to write a Javascript function that allows a Web site visitor
> > e-mail a link to a Web page. The script tested successfully with a
> > Microsoft
> > Outlook client, but does not work on a machine with Outlook Express
> > 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) running on Microsoft Windows XP
> > Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. The Javascript builds the
> > following string:

> > mailto:&subject=A page from the Acaciawood School Website&body=Acaciawood
> > School Home Page (http://www.awschool.org/index.htm)

> > When the Javascript statement (window.location = mailToURL) is executed,
> > it
> > transfers control to the mail dialog, but places the entire string
> > following
> > "mailto:" in the "To" field.  The same thing happens if I enter this
> > string
> > in the Run dialog from the Start menu.  I cannot see anything wrong with
> > the
> > syntax of the mailto command.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

mailto built with Javascript not working Outlook Express

Post by DGues » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:02:09

email me the code you're using or point me to the page you're testing. I
played with what I had posted and it did as expected in OE and Windows Mail
(Vista).

change the .oops to .com in my email address and put Outlook Express in the
subject line so I can detect it.

dg

> Thanks for your response, but it did not solve my problem. I modified the
> code to use the escape function on both the Subject and the Body. The
> resulting command (testing from a local copy) is as follows:

> mailto:&subject=A page from the Acaciawood School Website&body=Acaciawood
> School Home Page (file:///C:/AWS%20Website%20Class/AWSWeb/index.htm)

> Again, the code works fine with Microsoft Outlook, which parses the string
> properly and places the subject and body in their respective fields, but
> not
> with Outlook Express. To my eye it meets the RFC requirements, but when
> the
> Outlook Express dialog box opens it shows:

> To: &subject=A page from the Acaciawood School Website&body=Acaciawood
> School Home Page (file:///C:/AWS%20Website%20Class/AWSWeb/index.htm)

> I have tested from the Run command. Even if I put in a phony ID such as

> Website&body=Acaciawood School Home Page
> (file:///C:/AWS%20Website%20Class/AWSWeb/index.htm)

> It appears that Outlook Express is not recognizing the ampersand as a
> field
> delimiter. My best guess is that I have a configuration problem or a
> module
> that does not parse the mailto command correctly, but I don't know what to
> look for.

>> See this page as well

>> http://www.webreference.com/js/column70/7.html
>> and pages near it. You should be able to modify the code from there.

>> >I am trying to write a Javascript function that allows a Web site
>> >visitor
>> > e-mail a link to a Web page. The script tested successfully with a
>> > Microsoft
>> > Outlook client, but does not work on a machine with Outlook Express
>> > 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) running on Microsoft Windows
>> > XP
>> > Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. The Javascript builds the
>> > following string:

>> > mailto:&subject=A page from the Acaciawood School
>> > Website&body=Acaciawood
>> > School Home Page (http://www.awschool.org/index.htm)

>> > When the Javascript statement (window.location = mailToURL) is
>> > executed,
>> > it
>> > transfers control to the mail dialog, but places the entire string
>> > following
>> > "mailto:" in the "To" field.  The same thing happens if I enter this
>> > string
>> > in the Run dialog from the Start menu.  I cannot see anything wrong
>> > with
>> > the
>> > syntax of the mailto command.  Does anyone know how to fix this
>> > problem?

mailto built with Javascript not working Outlook Express

Post by Michael Santove » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 03:02:01

Your syntax is wrong.  It should be

mailto:?subject=A page from the Acaciawood School
Website&body=Acaciawood
 School Home Page (http://www.awschool.org/index.htm)

A ? terminates the TO filed.  The & is used for further fields.

Quote:>I am trying to write a Javascript function that allows a Web site
>visitor to
> e-mail a link to a Web page. The script tested successfully with a
> Microsoft
> Outlook client, but does not work on a machine with Outlook Express
> 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) running on Microsoft Windows
> XP
> Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. The Javascript builds the
> following string:

> mailto:&subject=A page from the Acaciawood School
> Website&body=Acaciawood
> School Home Page (http://www.awschool.org/index.htm)

> When the Javascript statement (window.location = mailToURL) is
> executed, it
> transfers control to the mail dialog, but places the entire string
> following
> "mailto:" in the "To" field.  The same thing happens if I enter this
> string
> in the Run dialog from the Start menu.  I cannot see anything wrong
> with the
> syntax of the mailto command.  Does anyone know how to fix this
> problem?

mailto built with Javascript not working Outlook Express

Post by Bill Buntai » Fri, 30 Jun 2006 01:36:03

Thanks.  You are right.  I discovered that myself yesterday, but had to go
back home to test it.  Outlook apparently compensates for the error, but
Outlook Express does not.  Sorry to have wasted your time.

> Your syntax is wrong.  It should be

> mailto:?subject=A page from the Acaciawood School
> Website&body=Acaciawood
>  School Home Page (http://www.awschool.org/index.htm)

> A ? terminates the TO filed.  The & is used for further fields.

> --

> Mike - http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

> >I am trying to write a Javascript function that allows a Web site
> >visitor to
> > e-mail a link to a Web page. The script tested successfully with a
> > Microsoft
> > Outlook client, but does not work on a machine with Outlook Express
> > 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) running on Microsoft Windows
> > XP
> > Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. The Javascript builds the
> > following string:

> > mailto:&subject=A page from the Acaciawood School
> > Website&body=Acaciawood
> > School Home Page (http://www.awschool.org/index.htm)

> > When the Javascript statement (window.location = mailToURL) is
> > executed, it
> > transfers control to the mail dialog, but places the entire string
> > following
> > "mailto:" in the "To" field.  The same thing happens if I enter this
> > string
> > in the Run dialog from the Start menu.  I cannot see anything wrong
> > with the
> > syntax of the mailto command.  Does anyone know how to fix this
> > problem?

1. Outlook(not outlook express) not working after install of XP prof

I installed windows XP prof, and during or before the
install process it said that i would have problem with
outlook, but after the install of xp the first time i ran
it this problem would repair   itself.  So now oultlook
does not work, and i cannot uninstall or reinstall
because i get a message saying the my Windows Install is
not set up properly.  I then went to the gdedit.msc and
set up the windows install options in both group and user
sections but i still get the message, can anyone help
please.

2. Can't install IE 6.0 or 5.5

3. mailto: links not directing to Outlook Express

4. Thumbnail view on CD

5. mailto: shortcut opens up Outlook Express, not new message

6. IE 6.0

7. mailto: shortcut open Outlook Express, not new message

8. Can't view attachments in Netscape mail

9. Did not work Outlook express still not working right

10. JavaScript code not working/Enabling Javascript

11. Hyperlinks work in Outlook but not in Outlook Express

12. Outlook Express working, however Microsoft Outlook not

13. Outlook Express not saving POP3 Passwords & Auto Complete not working...