Bogus error message when sending large files.

Bogus error message when sending large files.

Post by William G. Davi » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 03:03:28

I sometimes send email with attachments in the 1-5 MB range.  I am getting
an error message stating the email was not sent, there is no copy in the
sent folder, the error message information is totally blank, but the email
goes out.

I am using a Dell 8400, Win XP Pro SP2, Norton AV is turned off for outbound
email (didn't make a difference so I am turning it back on), and have a
cable broadband connection.  There is a 10 MB limit on email accounts I am
using.

This started about two months ago, and I suspect it is from one of the
Updates from Microsoft.  I have no idea which one.

The error occurs on multiple accounts.

Can someone help me with this, please?

Thanks!

W. G. Davis

Bogus error message when sending large files.

Post by PA Bea » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 03:16:58

Your current Identity may have been damaged by NAV's Email Protection,
especially if its the default Main Identity.  Disable Email Protection
totally then try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity (File
 > Identities > Add new identity).  Assuming all is well, (1) compact all
folders in the old identity, (2) import messages from the old identity into
the new one, and then (3) delete the old one (File > Identities > Manage
Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline".  More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

- Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.

Understand, too that any attachment adds ~35% markup to the size of the
message (e.g., 10KB email + 5MB attachment = 6.75MB message).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

> I sometimes send email with attachments in the 1-5 MB range.  I am getting
> an error message stating the email was not sent, there is no copy in the
> sent folder, the error message information is totally blank, but the email
> goes out.

> I am using a Dell 8400, Win XP Pro SP2, Norton AV is turned off for
> outbound email (didn't make a difference so I am turning it back on), and
> have a cable broadband connection.  There is a 10 MB limit on email
> accounts I am using.

> This started about two months ago, and I suspect it is from one of the
> Updates from Microsoft.  I have no idea which one.

> The error occurs on multiple accounts.

> Can someone help me with this, please?

> Thanks!

> W. G. Davis

Bogus error message when sending large files.

Post by Michael Santove » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 04:56:22

OLEXP: ErrMsg The Message Could Not Be Sent An Error Has Occurred
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=179503
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=177884
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190296
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299467

Quote:>I sometimes send email with attachments in the 1-5 MB range.  I am
>getting
> an error message stating the email was not sent, there is no copy in
> the
> sent folder, the error message information is totally blank, but the
> email
> goes out.

> I am using a Dell 8400, Win XP Pro SP2, Norton AV is turned off for
> outbound
> email (didn't make a difference so I am turning it back on), and have
> cable broadband connection.  There is a 10 MB limit on email accounts
> I am
> using.

> This started about two months ago, and I suspect it is from one of the
> Updates from Microsoft.  I have no idea which one.

> The error occurs on multiple accounts.

> Can someone help me with this, please?

> Thanks!

> W. G. Davis

1. Send/Receive large messages or large attachments

I read somewhere that you could send messages larger than the limit by
breaking it into pieces and that the recepients machine would
automatically reasemble the message. I went to
Tools/Accounts/Properties/advanced and set a limit. The recepient
received 5 messages on which the subject was doubled and a (1/1)up to
s (1/5) added and didn't know how to reasemble. A Knowledge Base
search didn't find an answer.

Will appreciate being set straight. Thanks

Jack Hunt

2. CreateFile in service fails with "access denied"

3. "Sent Items" error message but messages are sent

4. WinXP to WinMe network not working

5. Bogus error message

6. XP Reactivation?

7. bogus error message opening communicator

8. Help : No WM_COMMNOTIFY sent back from COMM.DRV

9. Bogus "File in use" messages from WORD 97 under XP

10. Error 1335 and bogus corrupt cabinet files

11. Sent Items file is nor retaining my sent messages

12. Multiple e-mails sent when sending large attachemnts

13. OE6 "From" field in sent msg has bogus info