hacker reprogrammed error messages to direct to their website

hacker reprogrammed error messages to direct to their website

Post by Aaron Armstron » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:47:20

this is a fun one. One day while surfing, I was directed
to a website, www.descramblerman.com

the next thing I know, every time I use a search engine
and the link isn't active, this is where you usually get
an error message saying page not found, instead I get
redirected to their website.  I think they hacked into the
program itself, or reset a registry line.  I can't fix
it.  I haven't found anything on Microsoft's website to
fix it.  I have loaded every update possible to my
system.  I can't even figure out how I am suppose to
report to Microsoft this new kind of hacking attack or
vulnerability to their browser software-because basically,
if you want help or an email address, you have to pay
them.  I was emailing the wrong part of their corporation
(customer support for their security webpage), who
basically directed me to use their pay-as-you-suffer
program :(  okay being a little sarcastic there.  Anyways,
as far as I know, they really don't have a site set up to
report hacking incidents or security vulnerabilities, and
I am not about to pay some god awful amount to help them
fix their own problem.

Any geniuses know how to fix this type of problem.

I emailed the website for help, who is now conveniently
blackmailing me, saying they only help paying customers.

so if you're a hacker, contact me, and I will personally
be your friend and perhaps even pay a small reward if you
can bring down their site--www.descramblerman.com

god i wish i had the skills, but I don't, so I can only
dream.

Anyways, I have spent hours on this, numerous emails.

The only luck I have had, is finding who registered the
domain, so now at least I can file something against their
corporation.  Basically, doing Microsoft's work for them.

I can only imagine what else they did, I am just praying
they didn't steal my cookies, hence, personal identity
information.  Now that would really make for a bad day.

alright everyone have fun.

just realize, this could be happening to you

hacker reprogrammed error messages to direct to their website

Post by Henri Leboeu » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:22:41

Start here.
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/iesearch.htm

They are probably using the same technique as Lop.
Additional information.
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm#lop

try BHO Cop from
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,77432,00.html
It's free, but registration is required.
--

Henri Leboeuf

> this is a fun one. One day while surfing, I was directed
> to a website, www.descramblerman.com

> the next thing I know, every time I use a search engine
> and the link isn't active, this is where you usually get
> an error message saying page not found, instead I get
> redirected to their website.  I think they hacked into the
> program itself, or reset a registry line.  I can't fix
> it.  I haven't found anything on Microsoft's website to
> fix it.  I have loaded every update possible to my
> system.  I can't even figure out how I am suppose to
> report to Microsoft this new kind of hacking attack or
> vulnerability to their browser software-because basically,
> if you want help or an email address, you have to pay
> them.  I was emailing the wrong part of their corporation
> (customer support for their security webpage), who
> basically directed me to use their pay-as-you-suffer
> program :(  okay being a little sarcastic there.  Anyways,
> as far as I know, they really don't have a site set up to
> report hacking incidents or security vulnerabilities, and
> I am not about to pay some god awful amount to help them
> fix their own problem.

> Any geniuses know how to fix this type of problem.

> I emailed the website for help, who is now conveniently
> blackmailing me, saying they only help paying customers.

> so if you're a hacker, contact me, and I will personally
> be your friend and perhaps even pay a small reward if you
> can bring down their site--www.descramblerman.com

> god i wish i had the skills, but I don't, so I can only
> dream.

> Anyways, I have spent hours on this, numerous emails.

> The only luck I have had, is finding who registered the
> domain, so now at least I can file something against their
> corporation.  Basically, doing Microsoft's work for them.

> I can only imagine what else they did, I am just praying
> they didn't steal my cookies, hence, personal identity
> information.  Now that would really make for a bad day.

> alright everyone have fun.

> just realize, this could be happening to you

hacker reprogrammed error messages to direct to their website

Post by Erik » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:24:14

Aaron, I have a simalar problem.  I don't think that this
is a hack attack.  When I type in web addresses that Don't
exist.  I should (want) the dns error message to appear.
Instead, MSN Search came up.  This happened for a while,
untill I installed Yahoo messenger.  Now yahoo "auto-
search" comes up.  I think that somewhere (don't know
where yet) there is supposed to be a setting for "default
search on page load failure".  I will attempt to locate
it.  The problem you describe is the type of hostile web
site that automaticly makes itself your home page
automatically.  I'll get back to you.

P.S.  I couldn't locate support options for IE either :-(

Post by Robert Aldwinckl » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 12:31:38

Erik,

This could happen if you are typing an incomplete
URL in the Address bar (e.g. no protocol prefix).
The search order is:   DNS lookup,  AutoSearch,
AutoScan,  AutoSearch.   Therefore if the DNS lookup
fails and your AutoSearch has been taken over by something
other than  MSN  it could appear on the surface to be a "redirect".

You can see the search order in operation for yourself
by setting your Connections Settings to  Never dial...
and disallowing any dial attempt.   (I am assuming
you don't have a functioning  DNS  on a LAN.)

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Quote:> Aaron, I have a simalar problem.  I don't think that this
> is a hack attack.  When I type in web addresses that Don't
> exist.  I should (want) the dns error message to appear.
> Instead, MSN Search came up.  This happened for a while,
> untill I installed Yahoo messenger.  Now yahoo "auto-
> search" comes up.  I think that somewhere (don't know
> where yet) there is supposed to be a setting for "default
> search on page load failure".  I will attempt to locate
> it.

1. Direct CD error message linked to Media Player

I am hoping that someone has encountered this problem and
can help me out.

When I log on and Windows XP starts up, a window with an
error message appears called "directcd.exe - Application
Error" and a bubble pops up from the toolbar at the
bottom of the screen.

The error message in the window reads "The application
failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK
to terminate the application."

The bubble reads "Devices or applications disabled.
Applications or devices on this computer use drivers that
will cause Windows to become unstable. Windows has
prevented these devices from loading."

When click the icon attached to the bubble it takes me to
the Help and Support Center, where "My Computer Info -
Status" is displayed. Under a table called "Obsolete
Applications and Device Drivers" there are three items.
Two of them are labelled "Direct CD" and list the file
names "UdfReadr.sys" and "cdudf.sys" and provide a link
to the Roxio, Inc. website to download and update.
However, this website lists updates for the "Easy CD
Creator" program, which I don't have on my system.

The third item in the table is just called "CD Recording
Software" and lists the filename "cdralw2k.sys" and also
lists Roxio as the manufacturer. But when I click
on "More Info" it suggests that Windows Media Player
might contain the outdated driver. (It also suggests Easy
CD Creator again as well as Real Jukebox, which is also
not on my machine). When I go to the Windows website, the
message "The Windows Media Player components of Windows
XP have been updated for this release. WMP for Win XP no
longer uses the older CD recording driver. No further
action is required from you" appears.

That's as far as I can get, I hope someone knows what to
do in this case. The error message is just annoying, and
I would like to get rid of it or any useless stuff on my
system. I can still play CDs and burn them using HP CD-
Writer for my Hewlett Packard ROM.

Thanks for your help.

2. TimeSink and Addaware

3. Help with chkdsk error message "cannot open volume for direct access"

4. xp pro slow to shut-down

5. Error message Direct Cable Connection Parallel Port

6. XP boot to Win2K Server network

7. Error Message - Device in Use - Direct CD 5.1_E3c

8. installation problem

9. Direct Draw error message

10. Direct Player Error, if any one even knows what direct player is, tell me, i am

11. error message from clicking on website favorites