How to move old incoming mail to Drive E?

How to move old incoming mail to Drive E?

Post by Fred » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:40:22

First, remember that I don't know what I'm doing....

My inbox is over 300MB and I want to move 90% off the C drive to another
drive.  I don't need to access any of it, but don't want delete it yet.
Just put in in cold storage...

Anyway, I can't figure out how to do this using the help menus.  Anyone have
an EAST (read "EASY") step-by-step way that I can move it to the E drive?

Thanks!!

Fred

How to move old incoming mail to Drive E?

Post by DGues » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:03:31

Quote:> First, remember that I don't know what I'm doing....

> My inbox is over 300MB and I want to move 90% off the C drive to another
> drive.  I don't need to access any of it, but don't want delete it yet.
> Just put in in cold storage...

Create a folder on the other drive. Name it Old Mail
Now, from Outlook Express, go to Tools | Options | Maintenance tab
Press the Store Folders button and note the location of the message stores
(DBX files).

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to that folder.

IF you do not see that folder, click on Explorer's Tools | Folder Options |
Views tab
Select "Show all files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for know file types".
Just those two.

Now the folder will be visible.

Close OE

Copy the DBX files you find  in the folder to the <other drive>:/Old Mail
folder.

Once done, open OE, then delete the messages you don't want in there. You
still have the old ones on the <other drive:/Old Mail folder should you need
to Import them back in for whatever reason.

Or get OEQuick Backup, make a backup to the <other drive> then delete the
old messages.
http://www.oehelp.com

Quote:> Anyway, I can't figure out how to do this using the help menus.  Anyone
> have
> an EAST (read "EASY") step-by-step way that I can move it to the E drive?

> Thanks!!

> Fred

How to move old incoming mail to Drive E?

Post by Steve Cochra » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:32:58

Alternatively just move the message store by going to Tools | Options |
Maintenance | Store Folder and set the destination to an existing directory
on E (if the directory doesn't exist then the messages will be lost, so
backup first).  Then close OE and reopen it and OE will relocate the entire
message store to that directory.

steve

>> First, remember that I don't know what I'm doing....

>> My inbox is over 300MB and I want to move 90% off the C drive to another
>> drive.  I don't need to access any of it, but don't want delete it yet.
>> Just put in in cold storage...

> Create a folder on the other drive. Name it Old Mail
> Now, from Outlook Express, go to Tools | Options | Maintenance tab
> Press the Store Folders button and note the location of the message stores
> (DBX files).

> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to that folder.

> IF you do not see that folder, click on Explorer's Tools | Folder Options
> | Views tab
> Select "Show all files and folders"
> Uncheck "Hide file extensions for know file types".
> Just those two.

> Now the folder will be visible.

> Close OE

> Copy the DBX files you find  in the folder to the <other drive>:/Old Mail
> folder.

> Once done, open OE, then delete the messages you don't want in there. You
> still have the old ones on the <other drive:/Old Mail folder should you
> need to Import them back in for whatever reason.

> Or get OEQuick Backup, make a backup to the <other drive> then delete the
> old messages.
> http://www.oehelp.com

>> Anyway, I can't figure out how to do this using the help menus.  Anyone
>> have
>> an EAST (read "EASY") step-by-step way that I can move it to the E drive?

>> Thanks!!

>> Fred

How to move old incoming mail to Drive E?

Post by Fred » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 00:13:15

Thanks, folks.  I found an old reply and tried it - very simple and worked.
And was reveresible too.  For others benefit...

** IMPORTANT:  Before you do anything....  If you are going to move or
backup email that is important to you, DO NOT follow this procedure!!  I
think I have everything right, but may be leaving something out -- or you
might delete the wrong folder and it could be impossible to get your data
back!

** Take your PC or hard drive down to the friend computer store and pay them
a few dollars to back up your data.  It could save losing your data.

Now, I am posting this mainly for my own benefit so I can find it later. :O)

Open Windows Explorer

Go to (in my case, Win98SE) c:/windows.000/Application Data/Identities.

You'll see several folders with random letter names. Look in the one with
the most recent date.  Then open subfolder Microsoft/Outlook Express.

Select the DBX files you want to move or backup and copy them (not move) to
another location -- either this drive or another drive.

Repeat this for all those you want to backup.

Then go to the next most recent folder under Identities and do the same.  If
there is an older file there and you want to be sure not to lose anything,
copy it and, in the backup location, give it a different name from the more
recent file. (Inbox-June04, Inbox-June04-old1, Inbox-June04-old2, etc.)  You
can always go back later and cull out the duplicate emails.

After you are all finished backing up, leave WinExplorer open and open OE6.

In Explorer, go to the new location where you have backed up the folders and
note the first one.

Go to OE6 and open that same folder.  Delete all the emails in that folder
and close it. Repeat for each of the backed up folders.  ** Be sure to
double check that you are deleting email for a folder that you have backed
up!

There are 2 ways to do this -- one for easy retreival and other for long
term archive.

For easy retreval, leave the folders there with one email in each one.
Later you can copy the DBX file back to the original folder and the email
will either be there or will only take a few minutes to get it back.

Otherwise, if you delete the folder, you have to create a new one, give it
the same name, put an email in it, then copy the file back.

** If I have left out anything, folks, please feel free to comment and
correct.

Fred

1. Incoming mail - probably an old problem

I get the following error when trying to send messages
from Outlook Express (I receive them with no problem)...

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Project
Doctors', Server: 'smtp.freeserve.net', Protocol: SMTP,
Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error
Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any ideas?

2. Buffering and Seeking

3. How to move from old drive to new drive?

4. Slow internect connection linked to MS watching what you do? please help

5. Want to move all info form old hard drive to new drive.

6. I,P,B-Frames Sizes in MPEG2 ?

7. moving old mail to new computer

8. lien

9. Filter question - moving mail that is 'x' days old

10. Replacement of old Hard drive & access to old Drive

11. Replacement of old hard drive & access to old Hard drive

12. Moving old e-mails from old machine to new machine

13. Moving windows XP from old drive to new one