Manually compact folders but still get "To free up disc space.." message on closing

Manually compact folders but still get "To free up disc space.." message on closing

Post by ggul » Sun, 12 Feb 2006 01:29:40

Following frequent advice here, I periodically go offline and compact
folders manually:
File > Folder  > Compact all folders

But sometimes OE gets in a mood where every time I close, even immediately
after "compacting all folders," I still get the box:

"To free up disc space, Outlook Express can compact messages .....
         [ ]  Don't show me this again
  [OK]  [Cancel]  "

It's now in such a mood, and is getting annoying.

(A)  Why is it doing this if I've compacted manually?  And how to make it
stop?

(B) If I check the "Don't show me this again"  will it
      (1)  not try to compact messages upon exiting, or
      (2)  go ahead and compact without asking me?

Manually compact folders but still get "To free up disc space.." message on closing

Post by Bruce Hage » Sun, 12 Feb 2006 01:44:43

With SP2, automatic background compacting was removed due to
problems it caused. Now you will get a prompt to compact after 100
OE closings, which you should do. See this for more information:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

Manual compacting is fine, but the registry counter does not reset to zero
so you will still get the prompt. Don't check Do not show me this again
because OE will start to compact after 100 closings without you knowing, and
if you shut down the machine while it is compacting, you will lose messages.
Check out OETool for the best solution.

Steve Cochran has added a button in his new version of OE Tool
that will not only Compact All Folders, but at the same time,
resets the "Compact Check Count" to zero whenever you compact
manually. You will see the prompt again if you do not compact
before 100 closings.

http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/

It is still advised to check Work Offline before you compact.
--
           Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Quote:> Following frequent advice here, I periodically go offline and compact
> folders manually:
> File > Folder  > Compact all folders

> But sometimes OE gets in a mood where every time I close, even immediately
> after "compacting all folders," I still get the box:

> "To free up disc space, Outlook Express can compact messages .....
>         [ ]  Don't show me this again
>  [OK]  [Cancel]  "

> It's now in such a mood, and is getting annoying.

> (A)  Why is it doing this if I've compacted manually?  And how to make it
> stop?

> (B) If I check the "Don't show me this again"  will it
>      (1)  not try to compact messages upon exiting, or
>      (2)  go ahead and compact without asking me?

Manually compact folders but still get "To free up disc space.." message on closing

Post by ggul » Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:54:56

Thanks.  I never thought to use that button, just did File>Folder>Compact
all.
I'll use the button from now on.

> With SP2, automatic background compacting was removed due to
> problems it caused. Now you will get a prompt to compact after 100
> OE closings, which you should do. See this for more information:
> http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

> Manual compacting is fine, but the registry counter does not reset to zero
> so you will still get the prompt. Don't check Do not show me this again
> because OE will start to compact after 100 closings without you knowing,
> and if you shut down the machine while it is compacting, you will lose
> messages. Check out OETool for the best solution.

> Steve Cochran has added a button in his new version of OE Tool
> that will not only Compact All Folders, but at the same time,
> resets the "Compact Check Count" to zero whenever you compact
> manually. You will see the prompt again if you do not compact
> before 100 closings.

> http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/

> It is still advised to check Work Offline before you compact.
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
> MS MVP - Outlook Express
>              ~IB-CA~

>> Following frequent advice here, I periodically go offline and compact
>> folders manually:
>> File > Folder  > Compact all folders

>> But sometimes OE gets in a mood where every time I close, even
>> immediately after "compacting all folders," I still get the box:

>> "To free up disc space, Outlook Express can compact messages .....
>>         [ ]  Don't show me this again
>>  [OK]  [Cancel]  "

>> It's now in such a mood, and is getting annoying.

>> (A)  Why is it doing this if I've compacted manually?  And how to make it
>> stop?

>> (B) If I check the "Don't show me this again"  will it
>>      (1)  not try to compact messages upon exiting, or
>>      (2)  go ahead and compact without asking me?

Manually compact folders but still get "To free up disc space.." message on closing

Post by Bruce Hage » Sun, 12 Feb 2006 14:05:14

YW. Steve has a knack for fixing things MS screws up. <w>
--
           Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

> Thanks.  I never thought to use that button, just did File>Folder>Compact
> all.
> I'll use the button from now on.

>> With SP2, automatic background compacting was removed due to
>> problems it caused. Now you will get a prompt to compact after 100
>> OE closings, which you should do. See this for more information:
>> http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

>> Manual compacting is fine, but the registry counter does not reset to
>> zero so you will still get the prompt. Don't check Do not show me this
>> again because OE will start to compact after 100 closings without you
>> knowing, and if you shut down the machine while it is compacting, you
>> will lose messages. Check out OETool for the best solution.

>> Steve Cochran has added a button in his new version of OE Tool
>> that will not only Compact All Folders, but at the same time,
>> resets the "Compact Check Count" to zero whenever you compact
>> manually. You will see the prompt again if you do not compact
>> before 100 closings.

>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/

>> It is still advised to check Work Offline before you compact.
>> --
>>           Bruce Hagen
>> MS MVP - Outlook Express
>>              ~IB-CA~

>>> Following frequent advice here, I periodically go offline and compact
>>> folders manually:
>>> File > Folder  > Compact all folders

>>> But sometimes OE gets in a mood where every time I close, even
>>> immediately after "compacting all folders," I still get the box:

>>> "To free up disc space, Outlook Express can compact messages .....
>>>         [ ]  Don't show me this again
>>>  [OK]  [Cancel]  "

>>> It's now in such a mood, and is getting annoying.

>>> (A)  Why is it doing this if I've compacted manually?  And how to make
>>> it stop?

>>> (B) If I check the "Don't show me this again"  will it
>>>      (1)  not try to compact messages upon exiting, or
>>>      (2)  go ahead and compact without asking me?

Manually compact folders but still get "To free up disc space.." message on closing

Post by Steve Cochra » Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:45:49

<ROFL>

> YW. Steve has a knack for fixing things MS screws up. <w>
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
> MS MVP - Outlook Express
>              ~IB-CA~

>> Thanks.  I never thought to use that button, just did File>Folder>Compact
>> all.
>> I'll use the button from now on.

>>> With SP2, automatic background compacting was removed due to
>>> problems it caused. Now you will get a prompt to compact after 100
>>> OE closings, which you should do. See this for more information:
>>> http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

>>> Manual compacting is fine, but the registry counter does not reset to
>>> zero so you will still get the prompt. Don't check Do not show me this
>>> again because OE will start to compact after 100 closings without you
>>> knowing, and if you shut down the machine while it is compacting, you
>>> will lose messages. Check out OETool for the best solution.

>>> Steve Cochran has added a button in his new version of OE Tool
>>> that will not only Compact All Folders, but at the same time,
>>> resets the "Compact Check Count" to zero whenever you compact
>>> manually. You will see the prompt again if you do not compact
>>> before 100 closings.

>>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/

>>> It is still advised to check Work Offline before you compact.
>>> --
>>>           Bruce Hagen
>>> MS MVP - Outlook Express
>>>              ~IB-CA~

1. "To Free Up Disk Space OE Can Compact...."

If anyone can answer, much appreciated.   I'm still a little new to OE.  I'm
running OE v6 on XP Home.

Every time I close OE I get a Windows pop-up "To free up disk space, Outlook
Express can compact messages.  This may take up to a few minutes"   The
choices are OK or Cancel.   I always click Cancel because I'm afraid if I
hit OK then my e-mails will get compacted or compressed somehow and I may
never be able to get them again.  There is another check box "Don't show me
this again" but checking it has no effect, I always see it again.

If I were to check OK, then presumably my e-mails would get compacted.  If
that were to occur could I still get and read them using OE or would the
effect be essentially the same as deleting them?

Thanks very much for answers and/or advice.

2. Possible WinXP HDD problem - opinions?

3. CD "free space" and "used space"

4. someone please help me - i am sooo lost

5. Registry entry "TcpNumConnections" and error message "The pipe is being closed" ???

6. How to make my own screensaver ????

7. Getting "delayed write failed" and "path too deep" error messages

8. Lost routing in local network, after connecting to ISP

9. can not copy "There is not enough free disk space."

10. How do I clean "free" disk space in XP?

11. Can't install "error" disk full with 55 gb free space .?

12. Disabling "SytemRestore", does not free disk space.

13. Service Pack 3: Delete the "Uninstall" Folder to Free Up Space?