Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Post by Hugo » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:24:27

Whenever I start my PC (Windows XP Professional) the mails of several
previous days are resent to my "unread mail" box although I have read and
deleted these same mails before. What can I do to delete these mails once
and for all ?
Many thanks for your help.
Hugo

Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/O » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 02:48:33

Quote:> Whenever I start my PC (Windows XP Professional) the mails of several
> previous days are resent to my "unread mail" box although I have read and
> deleted these same mails before. What can I do to delete these mails once
> and for all ?
> Many thanks for your help.
> Hugo

POP3 account?  If so:
1. Open OE and go to Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder and write
down where OE is storing its data files.
2. Go there with Windows Explorer (with Win2K and WinXP you will have to set
Windows Explorer to show hidden files (Tools | Folder Options | View).
3. Delete Pop3uidl.dbx
4 The messages should download once more, but that's it.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only.  Do not send email

Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Post by Hugo » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 03:56:05

Frank, I have done as you have suggested, but did not get the desired
result. Those mails keep coming. Also, when I am offline.
Do you have any other ideas?
Many thanks!
Hugo

>> Whenever I start my PC (Windows XP Professional) the mails of several
>> previous days are resent to my "unread mail" box although I have read and
>> deleted these same mails before. What can I do to delete these mails once
>> and for all ?
>> Many thanks for your help.
>> Hugo

> POP3 account?  If so:
> 1. Open OE and go to Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder and
> write down where OE is storing its data files.
> 2. Go there with Windows Explorer (with Win2K and WinXP you will have to
> set Windows Explorer to show hidden files (Tools | Folder Options | View).
> 3. Delete Pop3uidl.dbx
> 4 The messages should download once more, but that's it.

> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup only.  Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Post by PA Bea » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 04:04:46

Try closing OE before deleting POP3uidl.dbx.

If you're referring to the Unread Mail report/count on WinXP's opening
Welcome Screen...

Compliments of Kelly:

Use TweakUI/Logon/Unread Mail and Repair/Unread Mail Count

Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen (Line 100)

To remove an account or to change the count manually:

Start>Run>Regedit>navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\[Your
E-Mail Address]. In the right pane modify: Message Count, Change it to 0.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail.  In
the right pane modify:  MessageExpiryDays Change it to 0.

Overview of Mail Notification Display on WinXP Welcome Screen
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q304/1/48.asp
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

> Frank, I have done as you have suggested, but did not get the desired
> result. Those mails keep coming. Also, when I am offline.
> Do you have any other ideas?
> Many thanks!
> Hugo

> > > Whenever I start my PC (Windows XP Professional) the mails of several
> > > previous days are resent to my "unread mail" box although I have read
> > > and deleted these same mails before. What can I do to delete these
> > > mails once and for all ?
> > > Many thanks for your help.
> > > Hugo

> > POP3 account?  If so:
> > 1. Open OE and go to Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder and
> > write down where OE is storing its data files.
> > 2. Go there with Windows Explorer (with Win2K and WinXP you will have to
> > set Windows Explorer to show hidden files (Tools | Folder Options |
> > View). 3. Delete Pop3uidl.dbx
> > 4 The messages should download once more, but that's it.

> > --
> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> > Please respond in Newsgroup only.  Do not send email
> > http://www.fjsmjs.com
> > Protect your PC
> > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Post by Bruce Hage » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 04:10:52

If the mail is showing up while you are offline, that would
suggest that it isn't being downloaded, but that is hasn't
been deleted completely.  Go back into the Message Store and
delete Deleted Items.dbx. If you have any mail in that
folder you wish to save, (you shouldn't), move it first. And
make sure OE is closed when you delete the Outbox.dbx.
--
    Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

> Frank, I have done as you have suggested, but did not get
> the desired result. Those mails keep coming. Also, when I
> am offline.
> Do you have any other ideas?
> Many thanks!
> Hugo

> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> Whenever I start my PC (Windows XP Professional) the
>>> mails of several
>>> previous days are resent to my "unread mail" box
>>> although I have read and
>>> deleted these same mails before. What can I do to delete
>>> these mails once
>>> and for all ?
>>> Many thanks for your help.
>>> Hugo

>> POP3 account?  If so:
>> 1. Open OE and go to Tools | Options | Maintenance |
>> Store Folder and write down where OE is storing its data
>> files.
>> 2. Go there with Windows Explorer (with Win2K and WinXP
>> you will have to set Windows Explorer to show hidden
>> files (Tools | Folder Options | View).
>> 3. Delete Pop3uidl.dbx
>> 4 The messages should download once more, but that's it.

>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup only.  Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
>> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Post by Hugo » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 04:50:30

Bruce, I have deleted Pop3uidl.dbx and outbox.dbx in the Message Store. When
I restart my PC and open Outlook Express and then check in the Message Store
these two files are there again. They have not been deleted, or have been
reinserted again when opening Outlook Express. What shall I do?
Thanks for your help.
Hugo

> If the mail is showing up while you are offline, that would suggest that
> it isn't being downloaded, but that is hasn't been deleted completely.  Go
> back into the Message Store and delete Deleted Items.dbx. If you have any
> mail in that folder you wish to save, (you shouldn't), move it first. And
> make sure OE is closed when you delete the Outbox.dbx.
> --
>    Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
>        ~IB-CA~

>> Frank, I have done as you have suggested, but did not get the desired
>> result. Those mails keep coming. Also, when I am offline.
>> Do you have any other ideas?
>> Many thanks!
>> Hugo

>>> POP3 account?  If so:
>>> 1. Open OE and go to Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder and
>>> write down where OE is storing its data files.
>>> 2. Go there with Windows Explorer (with Win2K and WinXP you will have to
>>> set Windows Explorer to show hidden files (Tools | Folder Options |
>>> View).
>>> 3. Delete Pop3uidl.dbx
>>> 4 The messages should download once more, but that's it.

>>> --
>>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>>> Please respond in Newsgroup only.  Do not send email
>>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>>> Protect your PC
>>> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
>>> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Post by Bruce Hage » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:00:18

New files should be there, but I erred. It is Deleted Items,
I want you to delete. These messages aren't being downloaded
again, they are re-appearing. Delete the Deleted Items.dbx
file with OE closed. Let us know.
--
    Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

> Bruce, I have deleted Pop3uidl.dbx and outbox.dbx in the
> Message Store. When I restart my PC and open Outlook
> Express and then check in the Message Store these two
> files are there again. They have not been deleted, or have
> been reinserted again when opening Outlook Express. What
> shall I do?
> Thanks for your help.
> Hugo

>> If the mail is showing up while you are offline, that
>> would suggest that it isn't being downloaded, but that is
>> hasn't been deleted completely.  Go back into the Message
>> Store and delete Deleted Items.dbx. If you have any mail
>> in that folder you wish to save, (you shouldn't), move it
>> first. And make sure OE is closed when you delete the
>> Outbox.dbx.
>> --
>>    Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
>>        ~IB-CA~

>>> Frank, I have done as you have suggested, but did not
>>> get the desired result. Those mails keep coming. Also,
>>> when I am offline.
>>> Do you have any other ideas?
>>> Many thanks!
>>> Hugo

Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Post by Hugo » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:19:06

Bruce, I have done as suggested by you. But on the second start up of the
system I get the old mails all over again, marked as unread. I have deleted
the Pop3uidl.dbx in on action and restarted my PC, and then deleted the
"Deleted Items" box and restarted my PC.
What further remedy do you suggest.
Many thanks.
Hugo

> New files should be there, but I erred. It is Deleted Items,
> I want you to delete. These messages aren't being downloaded
> again, they are re-appearing. Delete the Deleted Items.dbx
> file with OE closed. Let us know.
> --
>     Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
>         ~IB-CA~

> > Bruce, I have deleted Pop3uidl.dbx and outbox.dbx in the
> > Message Store. When I restart my PC and open Outlook
> > Express and then check in the Message Store these two
> > files are there again. They have not been deleted, or have
> > been reinserted again when opening Outlook Express. What
> > shall I do?
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Hugo

> >> If the mail is showing up while you are offline, that
> >> would suggest that it isn't being downloaded, but that is
> >> hasn't been deleted completely.  Go back into the Message
> >> Store and delete Deleted Items.dbx. If you have any mail
> >> in that folder you wish to save, (you shouldn't), move it
> >> first. And make sure OE is closed when you delete the
> >> Outbox.dbx.
> >> --
> >>    Bruce Hagen
> >> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
> >>        ~IB-CA~

Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Post by Bruce Hage » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:24:00

The only other thing I can think of is a damaged identity.
Create a new one and test it. If all is well, import your
messages from the problem identity and delete it.

File>Identities>Add New Identity.
--
    Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

> Bruce, I have done as suggested by you. But on the second
> start up of the
> system I get the old mails all over again, marked as
> unread. I have deleted
> the Pop3uidl.dbx in on action and restarted my PC, and
> then deleted the
> "Deleted Items" box and restarted my PC.
> What further remedy do you suggest.
> Many thanks.
> Hugo

>> New files should be there, but I erred. It is Deleted
>> Items,
>> I want you to delete. These messages aren't being
>> downloaded
>> again, they are re-appearing. Delete the Deleted
>> Items.dbx
>> file with OE closed. Let us know.
>> --
>>     Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
>>         ~IB-CA~

>> > Bruce, I have deleted Pop3uidl.dbx and outbox.dbx in
>> > the
>> > Message Store. When I restart my PC and open Outlook
>> > Express and then check in the Message Store these two
>> > files are there again. They have not been deleted, or
>> > have
>> > been reinserted again when opening Outlook Express.
>> > What
>> > shall I do?
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> > Hugo

>> > Newsbeitrag

Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Post by PA Bea » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:40:35

Mirroring Bruce's last post:

Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
Identity.  Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
(File>Identities>Add new identity).  Assuming all is well, import messages
from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future:

Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline".  More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

> Bruce, I have done as suggested by you. But on the second start up of the
> system I get the old mails all over again, marked as unread. I have
> deleted the Pop3uidl.dbx in on action and restarted my PC, and then
> deleted the "Deleted Items" box and restarted my PC.
> What further remedy do you suggest.

Mails are resent to my "unread mail" box

Post by PA Bea » Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:41:52

[I still think he's referring to Unread Mail Count on WinXP Welcome Screen.]
--
~PA Bear

> If the mail is showing up while you are offline, that would
> suggest that it isn't being downloaded, but that is hasn't
> been deleted completely.  Go back into the Message Store and
> delete Deleted Items.dbx. If you have any mail in that
> folder you wish to save, (you shouldn't), move it first. And
> make sure OE is closed when you delete the Outbox.dbx.

> > Frank, I have done as you have suggested, but did not get
> > the desired result. Those mails keep coming. Also, when I
> > am offline.

1. Mails are sent again and again to my "Unread Mail" box

Whenever I start my PC (Windows XP Professional) I get all my mails from the
previous few days again in my "Unread Mail" box, marked as unread. Although I
have opened and deleted these mails before. The box "Leave a copy of the mail
on the server" in "E-mail accounts" is not ticked.
How can I get rid of the mails once and for all, so they do not reappear
again and again whenever I start my PC.
Thanks for your advice.
Hugo

2. Add/remove programs in control panel

3. Outlook Express deletes read mail..leaves messages marked as "unread"

4. Need an opinion about pagefile - thanx Alex

5. Logon Screen - "Unread Mail"

6. About printer driver?

7. Problem in XP: "1 unread mail message"

8. MFC: Non-standard windows

9. removing friends' "unread mail messages"

10. "Unread Mail Message" Prompt

11. Cannot clear the "unread e- mail" message

12. XP Home login: "Unread mail"

13. "Unread Mail" messages on welcome screen