Smart-Paste Avoids Freezing, Stealth Uglification

Smart-Paste Avoids Freezing, Stealth Uglification

Post by Uriel Wittenber » Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:05:53

Regular paste (ctrl-V) isn't an option in the following situations:

1. Copy from a webpage to MS Word;

2. Copy from MS Word to Outlook Express plaintext message composition
window.

In the case of #1, your computer is liable to freeze for a prolonged
period of time as MS does something clever to convert formats.

As for #2, that paste operation arouses OE bugs that have been known for
years. The plaintext composition window, despite being "plaintext,"
invisibly retains unwanted formatting that results in messages being
severely uglified -- but only at the instant of SEND, when it's too late
to stop it.

Before discovering THE BETTER WAY, my fingers had become quite agile in
making rapid detours to the format-free oasis of Notepad for the purpose
of delousing text. To paste from Word to OE, for example, I would:

- copy to clipboard (in Word)
- switch to Notepad
- paste
- select all
- copy to clipboard
- switch to OE
- paste

But now, a utility recommended to me on the
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress newsgroup has
changed this routine to:

- copy to clipboard (in Word)
- switch to OE
- smart-paste

I'm still trying to get used to it.

To top it off, smart-paste gives you a nice confirmation sound effect.

The utility is PureText, available for free at
http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/ . The smart-paste keystroke is
Windows-V by default.

"Smart-paste" is my word, not stevemiller's. In a simpler world,
formatted text would be smart and 1960's-style ASCII text would be dumb.
But with buggy software, less is more, and smart becomes dumber.

I have only a tiny quibble which is really just academic since it makes
no practical difference to me. It'd be a bit smarter if the smart-paste
operation left the clipboard unchanged, rather than stripping its
contents of formatting.

P.S. I'm in no way affiliated with stevemiller.net; I'm just a grateful
user.

P.P.S. Freezing and stealth uglification occur at least with Windows XP
/ Word 2000 / Outlook 6; probably other versions too.

--
http://urielw.com

Smart-Paste Avoids Freezing, Stealth Uglification

Post by PA Bea » Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:34:58

[EMP removed]

Now, where-ever did you learn about PureText, Uriel?
(http://snipurl.com/98sk)
--
~PA Bear

> Regular paste (ctrl-V) isn't an option in the following situations:

> 1. Copy from a webpage to MS Word;

> 2. Copy from MS Word to Outlook Express plaintext message composition
> window.

> In the case of #1, your computer is liable to freeze for a prolonged
> period of time as MS does something clever to convert formats.

> As for #2, that paste operation arouses OE bugs that have been known for
> years. The plaintext composition window, despite being "plaintext,"
> invisibly retains unwanted formatting that results in messages being
> severely uglified -- but only at the instant of SEND, when it's too late
> to stop it.

> Before discovering THE BETTER WAY, my fingers had become quite agile in
> making rapid detours to the format-free oasis of Notepad for the purpose
> of delousing text. To paste from Word to OE, for example, I would:

> - copy to clipboard (in Word)
> - switch to Notepad
> - paste
> - select all
> - copy to clipboard
> - switch to OE
> - paste

> But now, a utility recommended to me on the
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress newsgroup has
> changed this routine to:

> - copy to clipboard (in Word)
> - switch to OE
> - smart-paste

> I'm still trying to get used to it.

> To top it off, smart-paste gives you a nice confirmation sound effect.

> The utility is PureText, available for free at
> http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/ . The smart-paste keystroke is
> Windows-V by default.

> "Smart-paste" is my word, not stevemiller's. In a simpler world,
> formatted text would be smart and 1960's-style ASCII text would be dumb.
> But with buggy software, less is more, and smart becomes dumber.

> I have only a tiny quibble which is really just academic since it makes
> no practical difference to me. It'd be a bit smarter if the smart-paste
> operation left the clipboard unchanged, rather than stripping its
> contents of formatting.

> P.S. I'm in no way affiliated with stevemiller.net; I'm just a grateful
> user.

> P.P.S. Freezing and stealth uglification occur at least with Windows XP
> / Word 2000 / Outlook 6; probably other versions too.

Smart-Paste Avoids Freezing, Stealth Uglification

Post by Doug » Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:39:22

Thanks, Uriel. It seems that you answered my question approx. one hour
before I asked it (I just noticed it right below my post). Now that's help!

Yes, that MS certainly is clever sometimes, isn't it.

Doug

Quote:> Regular paste (ctrl-V) isn't an option in the following situations:

Post by Kath Adam » Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:34:25

<singing> I'm a joker
I'm a smoker
I'm a midnight toker </singing>
Whoops - wrong Steve Miller <vbg>

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

> [EMP removed]

> Now, where-ever did you learn about PureText, Uriel?
> (http://snipurl.com/98sk)

>> Regular paste (ctrl-V) isn't an option in the following situations:

>> 1. Copy from a webpage to MS Word;

>> 2. Copy from MS Word to Outlook Express plaintext message composition
>> window.

>> In the case of #1, your computer is liable to freeze for a prolonged
>> period of time as MS does something clever to convert formats.

>> As for #2, that paste operation arouses OE bugs that have been known
>> for years. The plaintext composition window, despite being
>> "plaintext," invisibly retains unwanted formatting that results in
>> messages being severely uglified -- but only at the instant of SEND,
>> when it's too late to stop it.

>> Before discovering THE BETTER WAY, my fingers had become quite agile
>> in making rapid detours to the format-free oasis of Notepad for the
>> purpose of delousing text. To paste from Word to OE, for example, I
>> would:

>> - copy to clipboard (in Word)
>> - switch to Notepad
>> - paste
>> - select all
>> - copy to clipboard
>> - switch to OE
>> - paste

>> But now, a utility recommended to me on the
>> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress newsgroup
>> has changed this routine to:

>> - copy to clipboard (in Word)
>> - switch to OE
>> - smart-paste

>> I'm still trying to get used to it.

>> To top it off, smart-paste gives you a nice confirmation sound
>> effect.

>> The utility is PureText, available for free at
>> http://www.stevemiller.net/puretext/ . The smart-paste keystroke is
>> Windows-V by default.

>> "Smart-paste" is my word, not stevemiller's. In a simpler world,
>> formatted text would be smart and 1960's-style ASCII text would be
>> dumb. But with buggy software, less is more, and smart becomes
>> dumber.

>> I have only a tiny quibble which is really just academic since it
>> makes no practical difference to me. It'd be a bit smarter if the
>> smart-paste operation left the clipboard unchanged, rather than
>> stripping its contents of formatting.

>> P.S. I'm in no way affiliated with stevemiller.net; I'm just a
>> grateful user.

>> P.P.S. Freezing and stealth uglification occur at least with Windows
>> XP / Word 2000 / Outlook 6; probably other versions too.

Smart-Paste Avoids Freezing, Stealth Uglification

Post by Uriel Wittenber » Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:52:41

That is a coincidence! Glad to have helped, Doug.

[...]

Post by Uriel Wittenber » Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:55:16

Quote:>where-ever did you learn about PureText, Uriel?

? As mentioned below, on the newsgroup. What's your concern?

[...]

1. xp freeze, mouse freeze, netware freeze, IE freeze

Hi there,

(I'm a Win developer for 10 years, I have about 10
computers with XP, different hardware, different
networks, some to NTS, some to Netware, some not in a
network at all).

WinXP has been WinFreeze for me.  (not in a hardware
lock-solid sense, but in a there's a bug way)
Explorer.exe sometimes freezes, it looks like it does
not 'pump' messages.  taskbar buttons are frozen,
alt-tabbing works fine.  Then after a minute or two, or
perhaps 20 seconds sometimes explorer.exe unfreezes and
it rememberes all the mouse events, and a fireworks of
windows swithcing occurs. Processor is at 0%, so this
is a synchronisation issue somewhere in the explorer.
(single processor machines all of them).  One of the
causes for this type of freeze is closing an
application.

Freeze scenario no.2.  I have Excel XP do SendKey to
some other applications (Eudora and PGPTools).  In
about 50% of time, after sending file name with full
path with 'enter' at the end to the 'file open' dialog
in eudora or pgptools, Windows XP freezes.  Mouse is
frozen and does not move.  ctrl-alt-delete does
unfreeze the situation, but this i've never seen at the
NT line.  Mouse is frozen??? This must be somewhere
deep inside.

This is with the standard windows file open dialog that
eudora pops up, file is on a netware drive.  Come to us
and see it for yourself. :)  Well, this could be office
XP issue, or windows issue.  Happens to both eudora and
pgptools, both with fileopen dialog.  After
ctrl-alt-delete unfreeze, Excel XP looses the
functionality to send keypresses around until it is
restarted. (Yes, this could be a Office XP issue, but
since the mouse and everything else is froozes, this
becomes a winXP issue, too.

Third freeze: Explorer.exe, when browsing netware
network disks, and also CDroms, freezes.  This is so
frustrating, i'm talking XP on 1,6 P4 is slower than
P200 with 95, with the factor of about 100.  All you
have to do is scroll the tree in the left pane.
Explorer wants to load all those icons, but it freezes
for 10, 20, 30 seconds.  no, it is not a constat 60 or
120 seconds.

Freeze no. 4.  IE6 (hey, it's a part of windows, isn't
it?), when scrolling up -down, sometimes freezes, and
does nothing.  then you can say screw it and start
another instance, then browse to the same page and load
it again.  the frozen page than unlocks after some
time. (1 or perhape 3-5 minutes).   processor at 0% all
the time.

So far, all these freezes were with processor being
idle (or close).  I've also seen when Explorer.exe goes
to 100% processor and doesn't release.  Alt-tab
switching possible, taskbar frozes, naturally.

My theory is that the wonderfull feature of reporting
crashes back to microsoft will clear all those bugs
pretty fast, but then all the remaining bugs will be of
a freeze type, because they will be invisible to the
error reporting.  Is this what is happening here?

2. Please Help Load Address Book into XPPro OE6

3. xp freeze, explorer.exe freeze, mouse freeze, IE freeze

4. Printer

5. XP freeze, explorer.exe freeze, mouse freeze, IE6 freeze

6. task bar is 2 inches wide

7. smart restore not so smart

8. WET_264 Orchids_one

9. xp freeze, explorer.exe freeze, mouse freeze, IE freeze

10. smart writer and smart command

11. Copy & Paste Freeze with IE 5

12. Font changes and freezes when pasting

13. OS freezes while cutting & pasting