Exporting newsgroups settings from one computer to another...

Exporting newsgroups settings from one computer to another...

Post by JG » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:24:03

Hi,

I'm using Windows XP SP2 on two computers - work and my laptop.  Both are
using OutlookExpress 6 which I use to read newsgroups with.  I would like to
make all my newsgroups definitions on my laptop the same as those on my work
machine.  I have tried to do the 'export' but what it seems to export is
only the user information and NOT my subscriptions to newsgroups.  For
example, I have quite a few newsgroup subscriptions here at Microsoft.  I do
the export and import that file on my laptop and not newsgroup subscriptions
seem to come over.

Is there a file that saves this information that I could safely copy to my
laptop?

Any info would be greately  appreciated.

thanks,
joe

Exporting newsgroups settings from one computer to another...

Post by Bruce Hage » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:33:20

Outlook Express only mirrors what is on the newsgroup server. This is why
you can export the account settings, but not the newsgroups themselves. They
would have to be subscribed to in the other computer.
--
    Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm using Windows XP SP2 on two computers - work and my laptop.  Both are
> using OutlookExpress 6 which I use to read newsgroups with.  I would like
> to make all my newsgroups definitions on my laptop the same as those on my
> work machine.  I have tried to do the 'export' but what it seems to export
> is only the user information and NOT my subscriptions to newsgroups.  For
> example, I have quite a few newsgroup subscriptions here at Microsoft.  I
> do the export and import that file on my laptop and not newsgroup
> subscriptions seem to come over.

> Is there a file that saves this information that I could safely copy to my
> laptop?

> Any info would be greately  appreciated.

> thanks,
> joe

Exporting newsgroups settings from one computer to another...

Post by Steve Cochra » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:36:05

You need to transfer the registry settings for the Identities and Accounts
keys from one machine to the other.  That will then equate the settings on
both machines.

The best way to do this is to backup the keys from one machine, delete the
keys on the other machine, and then merge the keys onto that second machine
and copy the message store to it.  Then the two will have the same settings.
If you add a new server, you'll have to do that again.

See the links here for details:  www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#6

steve

Quote:> Hi,

Post by JG » Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:17:20

> You need to transfer the registry settings for the Identities and Accounts
> keys from one machine to the other.  That will then equate the settings on
> both machines.

> The best way to do this is to backup the keys from one machine, delete the
> keys on the other machine, and then merge the keys onto that second
> machine and copy the message store to it.  Then the two will have the same
> settings. If you add a new server, you'll have to do that again.

> See the links here for details:  www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#6

> steve

>> Hi,

>> I'm using Windows XP SP2 on two computers - work and my laptop.  Both are
>> using OutlookExpress 6 which I use to read newsgroups with.  I would like
>> to make all my newsgroups definitions on my laptop the same as those on
>> my work machine.  I have tried to do the 'export' but what it seems to
>> export is only the user information and NOT my subscriptions to
>> newsgroups.  For example, I have quite a few newsgroup subscriptions here
>> at Microsoft.  I do the export and import that file on my laptop and not
>> newsgroup subscriptions seem to come over.

>> Is there a file that saves this information that I could safely copy to
>> my laptop?

>> Any info would be greately  appreciated.

>> thanks,
>> joe

1. Exporting Newsgroup messages from a old computer

Hi,

I subscribed to some Microsoft Newsgroups through Outlook express in my old
office ( Win 2000 and probably OE 6)
Before quitting that job, I copied the outlook express folder as it is (and
no other folder) which contains DBX files like
"microsoft.public.excel.misc.dbx" , "Drafts.dbx" etc. in to A CDROM.

a) At my home I have OE 5 and Win 98 and also have the Newsgroup of interest
already configured. Since, my home and previous office newsmessage are not
synchronized so I want to ADD the newsmessages in my CD to the respective
newsmessages in my home computer's OE. I tried to doubleclick on dbx files
in the CD but they dont open up in OE. Whats the procedure. is it possible
for me to retrieve those messages?

b) I would also like to ADD the above messages to my new office's computer
(Win XP and OE6)

I had been to Marfer's notes site -
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/6386/IE_ng_notes.htm
What you have to do is set up the accounts for both OSs in the registry so
they match. The easiest way to do this is to equate the 3 registry keys
below for the two OSs. Export the keys from one OS, then delete them in the
other, and import them and that should work.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express Where
GUID represents your Identity number.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express (by Steve Cochran)

Problem is I dont have registry key settings of my old office computer. Is
there a way out?
--
Thanks a lot,
Hari

2. windows me

3. import identities/setting in OE 5 on one computer to OE 6 on another computer

4. Problems with User Resizing

5. When is the "first computer" installed no longer the "first computer"

6. + 'E' does not bring up Windows explorer

7. Looking for a way to Export/Import Outlook Express settings (for same accounts on multiple computers)

8. no@no.com

9. Sharing Newsgroups between Operating systems on One Computer

10. configuate two harddrives, one cd-rom, one dvd-rom in one computer

11. HELP - transfer accounts and settings for OE from one computer to another?

12. Transfer user settings from one computer to another.

13. run more than one mediaplayer on one computer?