Saving OE mail

Post by Happ » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:10:19

Is there a way to selectively back up OE messages? This would allow me to
back up a large quantity of older  messages, then erase them from the
computer, while retaining the newer ones.

Saving OE mail

Post by Ken » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:35:27

Hi,

Perhaps in this Outlook Express Help.

http://www.oehelp.com/default.aspx

Ken

| Is there a way to selectively back up OE messages? This would allow me to
| back up a large quantity of older  messages, then erase them from the
| computer, while retaining the newer ones.

Saving OE mail

Post by Bruce Hage » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:49:49

Hi Happy,

A few choices come to mind.

Create folders for the messages you want to archive and drag the messages
into them. If you want to retain the folder names, just add 1, or Old to the
name. You can back up the dbx files for these folders independently using
normal methods.

Another option many people like is to create a second identity solely for
archiving messages. Import them to the new identity and you can leave them
there if you wish, but also back up that identity independently of your
current identity.

Or, save them to a *readable* CD. Create a folder on your Desktop, then in
Outlook Express open the folder with the messages you want to save.
Highlight one message, then Ctrl+A will highlight them all, (or hold the
Ctrl button down while you select only the messages you want), Now, drag and
drop them to the folder on your Desktop. (Easiest if the folder shortcut is
on the Taskbar).

Now you can copy that folder to a CD and you will be able to read the
messages on the CD by double-clicking on them.

The downside of this is that messages that have the same subject will be
overwritten. To avoid this, purchase:

DBXtract:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx
--
           Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Quote:> Is there a way to selectively back up OE messages? This would allow me to
> back up a large quantity of older  messages, then erase them from the
> computer, while retaining the newer ones.

Saving OE mail

Post by Happ » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 00:38:57

Thanks all. I will do this now, so I can free up some space, and get a
proper back up.