OE6 name & password

Post by Bill » Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:52:35

I have clicked something wrong.  Now when I go to OE6 it
ask for a name & password.  I put my ISP name & password
in many times, but it will not let me see my mail.  What
can I do to kill this popup.

OE6 name & password

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MV » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:47:35

Quote:> I have clicked something wrong.  Now when I go to OE6 it
> ask for a name & password.  I put my ISP name & password
> in many times, but it will not let me see my mail.  What
> can I do to kill this popup.

Outlook Express Does Not Save the Mail Server Logon Password (Win98, NT,
2000)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216382
Cannot Save E-Mail Account Password in Outlook Express 5.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228713
Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=264672
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email

OE6 name & password

Post by Veronica Harriso » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:16:31

I have had this popup all day and have followed the dougknox instructions
and re-entered the password but I still keep getting the popup and cannot
pick up my email.  Can anyone help please?

> > I have clicked something wrong.  Now when I go to OE6 it
> > ask for a name & password.  I put my ISP name & password
> > in many times, but it will not let me see my mail.  What
> > can I do to kill this popup.

> Outlook Express Does Not Save the Mail Server Logon Password (Win98, NT,
> 2000)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216382
> Cannot Save E-Mail Account Password in Outlook Express 5.0
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228713
> Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=264672
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm

> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup.  Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com

OE6 name & password

Post by <anonym.. » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:37:15

Which "pop-up" dialogue are you getting? (What is the
title in the title bar?)

Is it "Identity Login" or "Logon - <<your POP mail
account>>"?

OE6 name & password

Post by Veronica Harriso » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:46:23

It says Logon <my mail account>- Please enter your password etc but however
many times I enter it the box comes back.

When I cancel the error message says Port 110"Can't connect to back end" and
error numbers Ox800CCC90 and Ox800CCC92.  Does this help>

Quote:> Which "pop-up" dialogue are you getting? (What is the
> title in the title bar?)

> Is it "Identity Login" or "Logon - <<your POP mail
> account>>"?

OE6 name & password

Post by Veronica Harriso » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:48:29

Just thought to mention, as you can probably guess I can send mail but
cannot pick up incoming messages.

> It says Logon <my mail account>- Please enter your password etc but
however
> many times I enter it the box comes back.

> When I cancel the error message says Port 110"Can't connect to back end"
and
> error numbers Ox800CCC90 and Ox800CCC92.  Does this help>

> > Which "pop-up" dialogue are you getting? (What is the
> > title in the title bar?)

> > Is it "Identity Login" or "Logon - <<your POP mail
> > account>>"?

OE6 name & password

Post by Bob Lund » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:04:07

OK, so you don't really want to "kill the popup", so much as successfully
logon to your ISP's POP server. (You already knew that but I just wanted to
make sure...)

The obvious things to check (and I'll bet you've already been down this
road) is to confirm that absolutely everything is configured right:

Tools --> Accounts... --> Mail --> (select your existing POP account) -->
Properties

General tab
  --> any name for this account
  --> user information
    --> your name and your E-mail address
      --> Organization and Reply address are optional
Servers tab
  --> Server information as supplied by your ISP(s)
      (e.g., type is POP3, Incoming mail (POP3) at pop1.myisp.com, Outgoing
mail (SMTP)at smtp.anyisp.net, or whatever)
  --> Incoming Mail Server Account name, which may be different than your
email address
      Most people, and you sound like you are setup like this, leave the
Password blank and do not check Remenber Password. Also you probably don't
have to check Logon Using Secure Password Authentication, unless your POP
provider tells you differently.

Sounds like you're OK with your Outgoing Mail Server.

And of course, you've checked with your ISP about the state of their POP
server(s), and confirmed that they haven't "lost" your account and all that
good stuff(?).

OE6 name & password

Post by Bob Lund » Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:15:11

(more)

Connection tab
    As required by your physical setup

Security tab
    As required ...

Advanced tab
    Port numbers are usually 25 for SMTP and 110 for POP3. And unless yoru
ISP has indicated otherwise, you don't need to check SSL.
    In general Server timeouts can be fairly short, and the rest of this tab
can be unchecked.

1. "Remember user name and password" box greyed out- OE6

Hi,
 I recently installed OE 6 as part of a Verizon DSL installation on a
cousin's computer. The problem is that the "Remember user name and password"
box is greyed out, so she'll have yo type it in every time she wants
e-mail.. Any solution? Thanks. She's running Win 98, HP 466 Celeron
computer.
Peter Cowie

2. Download resume

3. Outlook & OE6 Problems Retaining Passwords

4. WMP 7 Radio

5. dial up user name & password won't stay put

6. Repair program?

7. User name/password denied in IE & OE

8. PartitionMagic 7 / XP

9. password & user name in address bar

10. User name & password

11. user name & password

12. User name & password for newsgroups??

13. User Name & Password?