Adjusting timeout for "Hang up after sending and receiving"?

Adjusting timeout for "Hang up after sending and receiving"?

Post by j.. » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:20:23

A friend has hit dial-up problems with OE6 after installing Norton
Internet Security 2006 on his slowish XP computer.

Even having disabled the checking of Outgoing Mail with NAV, it seems
that the background activity caused by NAV is slowing his PC to the
point where it the timing of the Send/Receive is going wrong.

If he unchecks the "Hang up after sending and receiving" box,
everything is fine - but if he has the box checked, his dialup
connection is disconnected (seemingly by OE) before the mail has been
sent. For now, he is living with manually disconnecting after each
Send/Receive, but would like to go back to automatic disconnection if
possible.

He has already spent ages on the phone to the ISP, who don't see it as
a problem at their end. Is there any registry setting that would allow
me to make OE wait a few seconds before disconnecting, in case that did
the job?

John Geddes
England

Adjusting timeout for "Hang up after sending and receiving"?

Post by Bruce Hage » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:36:55

Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Advanced. Move the Time-out slider
all the way to the right.

Turn off ALL e-mail scanning.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

If still no joy, get rid of Norton.

I use, and recommend, AVG Free:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
or:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/ww

When prompted, choose Custom Installation and *uncheck* e-mail scanning when
you see the option.

Norton, and McAfee, products are not Outlook Express friendly, and I don't
know of any OE-MVP that would recommend using them.

To remove Norton completely, see:
and:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=878462
and:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/200503310816...
--
           Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Quote:>A friend has hit dial-up problems with OE6 after installing Norton
> Internet Security 2006 on his slowish XP computer.

> Even having disabled the checking of Outgoing Mail with NAV, it seems
> that the background activity caused by NAV is slowing his PC to the
> point where it the timing of the Send/Receive is going wrong.

> If he unchecks the "Hang up after sending and receiving" box,
> everything is fine - but if he has the box checked, his dialup
> connection is disconnected (seemingly by OE) before the mail has been
> sent. For now, he is living with manually disconnecting after each
> Send/Receive, but would like to go back to automatic disconnection if
> possible.

> He has already spent ages on the phone to the ISP, who don't see it as
> a problem at their end. Is there any registry setting that would allow
> me to make OE wait a few seconds before disconnecting, in case that did
> the job?

> John Geddes
> England

Adjusting timeout for "Hang up after sending and receiving"?

Post by Michael Santove » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 04:54:58

The problem points to Norton still scanning outgoing mail, even though
you thought it was disabled it.

When Norton scans outgoing mail, it inserts itself between OE and the
SMTP mail server.  When OE thinks it is talking to the SMTP mail server
it is really talking to Norton.  What Norton does it accept the outgoing
message from OE and tells OE that the SMTP mail server has successfully
received the message.  OE then moves the message to the Sent Items
folder and can now hang up the modem.  In the meantime Norton is now
getting around to actually scanning the message and will then turnaround
and try to send it on to the real SMTP mail server.  But too late since
OE has just hung up the connection because Norton had told OE that the
SMTP mail server already had the message.

All in all, bad design by Norton.  It shouldn't tell OE that the SMTP
mail server has accepted the message until it really has.

Quote:>A friend has hit dial-up problems with OE6 after installing Norton
> Internet Security 2006 on his slowish XP computer.

> Even having disabled the checking of Outgoing Mail with NAV, it seems
> that the background activity caused by NAV is slowing his PC to the
> point where it the timing of the Send/Receive is going wrong.

> If he unchecks the "Hang up after sending and receiving" box,
> everything is fine - but if he has the box checked, his dialup
> connection is disconnected (seemingly by OE) before the mail has been
> sent. For now, he is living with manually disconnecting after each
> Send/Receive, but would like to go back to automatic disconnection if
> possible.

> He has already spent ages on the phone to the ISP, who don't see it as
> a problem at their end. Is there any registry setting that would allow
> me to make OE wait a few seconds before disconnecting, in case that
> did
> the job?

> John Geddes
> England

1. "New Message", "Send Page" & "Send a Link" from IE6

My default email client is set up as Outlook Express, in the program
option in Internet Explorer 6.
Ever since I installed MSN8 on my PC the "Send Page" & "Send a Link"
or "New Message" from Internet Explorer no longer work with Outlook
Express.
Clicking on them brings up MSN 8 whether I am signed in or not.   The
"read mail" option brings up Outlook Express normally.  Is there any
way to fix this? All the options used to work with Outlook Express
before the installation of MSN8.

Thanks,
Grace

2. Windows problem

3. Date/Time "Sent" vs "Received"

4. KCGMJV.bin

5. subfolders of "Sent Items" show "From" instead of "To"

6. XP "forgets" website passwords, log ons

7. "My Documents" - using "search" and "Send to"

8. Outlook 98 - huge "Outlook today" folder

9. "Send Link" and "Send Page" disappeared

10. IE 6 won't recognize "send web page" or "send link"

11. Moving sent mail to "Sent" folder on IMAP not to "Out"???

12. UPS "Run Shutdown Program" & "Battery Meter"?

13. |||||"""" How do I lock a CDROM """"|||||