IE6 not completing loads properly, and failing to download updates

IE6 not completing loads properly, and failing to download updates

Post by Tom Kem » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:37:51

I thought that I had posted this before, but I can't find
it anywhere...so...

I have a Windows 2000 Server.  Recently IE6 with SP1
started causing problems on one of our techs, and I
haven't been able to figure out what is causing it.  Here
are the issues:

1.  Whenever you load IE6 and try to browse to a web
page, it shows in the status bar that it most of the way
loaded, but will sit that way forever.  If you click on
any menu bar item, though, it finishes it's load.

2.  Whenever you load Windows Updates and get past the
above issue, you can select your update or updates, then
Review them.  However, once you select 'Install Updates'
that windows freezes.  Task Manager doesn't list it as
not responding.  However, you can't close the window
without using Task Manager.  The menu never pops up if
you right-click on the status bar running program icon.
Each time you click on anything in that window or it's
running icon it dings at you, as if you are doing
something wrong.

This 2nd issue leaves nothing in the Event logs, and no
error messages are shown.  I've already re-registered all
of the DLL's mentioned elsewhere, to no avail:

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

All critical updates are installed.  This server is also
our IMail email server, which is working fine, and our
internal DNS server...which...again...is working fine.

Any suggestions welcome!

Tom Kemp

1. Windows update failed to download a critical update... now any update fails.

Hi,

I had to reformat and reinstall XP the other day.. then I downloaded SP1
which installed OK, then a couple more critical updates.. all fine.

Then I selected the last 2 critical updates. One installed OK but the last
one failed.

Subsequent attempts to download the file results in Windows trying to pick
up from where it left off and then failing again. All other non critical
updates subsequently fail to install now!

Where are these updates, how do I delete partial downloads or reset XP so
that it grabs the entire critical download?

Cheers
--
Nathan
Tel: +44 (0)7941 754121

2. Quality loss in PowerPoint asf files

3. After downloading IE6, Win98 fails to shut down properly

4. Which security settings needed for Defrag ???

5. IE6 Images Do Not Load Properly on Many Sites

6. browser settings

7. IE6 not completing web page loading under Win98

8. "Please report this."

9. Help!!!! Windows Update Software will not complete download!?

10. Web Pages not displaying properly after updating with ie6 sp1

11. Pages not loading, IE6 SP1 installed, updates saying not installed

12. AVS Download Error - "IECIF.CAB did not download properly"

13. IE6 fails to load (home) page & IE6 crashes