IE6 does not offer 'open/save' dialog box on .exe files to download

IE6 does not offer 'open/save' dialog box on .exe files to download

Post by Sue Morto » Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:52:45

(Apologies if this has been asked before.  Please point me to previous
posts if applicable.  I tried searching this newsgroup first, but there
are too many posts...)

My dad's PC has Win98SE and is currently at IE6 SP1.  Awhile back (when
he was still using IE 5.01), "something happened" (LOL) and the browser
stopped responding properly to download links for .exe files, such as
one like this:  http://www.cheetaa.com/lava/aaw.exe   The browser screen
goes white except for a very small multi-colored square -- a
graphic-looking little box -- in the upper left corner of the screen.

We upgraded to IE6 (public preview) at the time, and that did not solve
the problem.  Later, we upgraded to IE6 full release and still no joy.
Tonight we upgraded to IE6 SP1 and still no joy.

All other links work fine (.zip, .mid, etc.) -- the dialog box to open
or save is presented.  Right-clicking on the link with the .exe and
choosing "save target as" works fine too.

Why won't IE6 offer the open/save dialog box when clicking once on a
link to download an executable file?  Help or info is appreciated.
Thanks!

--
Sue Morton

IE6 does not offer 'open/save' dialog box on .exe files to download

Post by Alan Edward » Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:28:45

Yes, it has been asked before.
Either try this link to see how many times or read the answer below:
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=%5BQ303401%5D+alan+edwards

If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
You may have an invalid plugin.
Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
[Q303401]
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q303/4/01.asp

Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
Start-Run-Regedit.exe
Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
normal safety precaution.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
The key does not normally exist.

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

In microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, "Sue Morton"

>(Apologies if this has been asked before.  Please point me to previous
>posts if applicable.  I tried searching this newsgroup first, but there
>are too many posts...)

>My dad's PC has Win98SE and is currently at IE6 SP1.  Awhile back (when
>he was still using IE 5.01), "something happened" (LOL) and the browser
>stopped responding properly to download links for .exe files, such as
>one like this:  http://www.cheetaa.com/lava/aaw.exe   The browser screen
>goes white except for a very small multi-colored square -- a
>graphic-looking little box -- in the upper left corner of the screen.

>We upgraded to IE6 (public preview) at the time, and that did not solve
>the problem.  Later, we upgraded to IE6 full release and still no joy.
>Tonight we upgraded to IE6 SP1 and still no joy.

>All other links work fine (.zip, .mid, etc.) -- the dialog box to open
>or save is presented.  Right-clicking on the link with the .exe and
>choosing "save target as" works fine too.

>Why won't IE6 offer the open/save dialog box when clicking once on a
>link to download an executable file?  Help or info is appreciated.
>Thanks!

IE6 does not offer 'open/save' dialog box on .exe files to download

Post by Sue Morto » Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:05:06

Thanks very much for fast response, I appreciate it very much.

I will post back what I find out.  (It may be a few days as Dad lives a
couple of hours away).
--
Sue Morton
P.S.  Thanks for link on Google.  I keep forgetting I can search public

> Yes, it has been asked before.
> Either try this link to see how many times or read the answer below:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=%5BQ303401%5D+alan+edwards

> If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
> You may have an invalid plugin.
> Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
> [Q303401]
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q303/4/01.asp

> Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
> Start-Run-Regedit.exe
> Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
> normal safety precaution.

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

> If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
> The key does not normally exist.

> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

> In microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, "Sue Morton"

> >(Apologies if this has been asked before.  Please point me to
previous
> >posts if applicable.  I tried searching this newsgroup first, but
there
> >are too many posts...)

> >My dad's PC has Win98SE and is currently at IE6 SP1.  Awhile back
(when
> >he was still using IE 5.01), "something happened" (LOL) and the
browser
> >stopped responding properly to download links for .exe files, such as
> >one like this:  http://www.cheetaa.com/lava/aaw.exe   The browser
screen
> >goes white except for a very small multi-colored square -- a
> >graphic-looking little box -- in the upper left corner of the screen.

> >We upgraded to IE6 (public preview) at the time, and that did not
solve
> >the problem.  Later, we upgraded to IE6 full release and still no
joy.
> >Tonight we upgraded to IE6 SP1 and still no joy.

> >All other links work fine (.zip, .mid, etc.) -- the dialog box to
open
> >or save is presented.  Right-clicking on the link with the .exe and
> >choosing "save target as" works fine too.

> >Why won't IE6 offer the open/save dialog box when clicking once on a
> >link to download an executable file?  Help or info is appreciated.
> >Thanks!

IE6 does not offer 'open/save' dialog box on .exe files to download

Post by Sue Morto » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:00:39

A QuickTime plugin was installed that had that very .exe key in the
registry.  Removed the plugin, and registry key, and IE6 works correctly
now when trying to download .exe files.

Thank you very much.  Have a great day!
--
Sue Morton