IE6 will not display ".ppt" files from a secure (https) site

IE6 will not display ".ppt" files from a secure (https) site

Post by Jay » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 02:40:46

You guys are pretty much my last hope.

I have a Compaq Presario 2701 laptop running Windows Xp Pro, Office Xp Pro,
IE6, and a slew of other programs.

My problem is that when browsing a secure (https) site ... clicking on a
***.ppt hyperlink will NOT display the PowerPoint slides in the browser
window. It works fine when browsing a non-secure (http) site. Sure, I can
download the file and display it later ... but I'd like to be able to view
it through the browser. Viewing .doc, .pdf, .xls files from either https or
http sites works fine. It's just the ppt files that are not viewing. I get
no error messages. The pointer changes to the hourglass ... the laptop
starts grinding away like it's doing something ... the pointer changes back
to it's arrow ... and nothing. If I right click the .ppt hyperlink ... and
choose "open in a new window ... the new window opens ... but it's blank.

The really weird thing about this is that this problem only seems to be on
my laptop. I wiped and older desktop and installed Windows Xp Pro, Office
Xp, and IE6 and encounter no problems displaying the ppt slides. I've
checked numerous other Xp users and they don't seem to have the problem I
have.

I've re-installed Windows Xp Pro several times. I've updated IE6 with
whatever critical updates the Microsoft web site will allow. I've
re-installed Office Xp. I've changed every security setting in IE6. I've
meticulously compared all the IE6 settings of the desktop vs. the laptop.
I've virtually set all security settings to "0".

I'd like to re-install IE6 from scratch ... but when I try to install from
the MS site it errors out stating that I have a newer version installed
already.

Is there anyway to uninstall IE6? ... or at least make the laptop 'think'
that my current version is gone, non-existent, or at least an older version
in need of updating?

Jay

Post by Jay » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 04:40:51

I have a Compaq Presario 2701 laptop running Windows Xp
Pro, Office Xp Pro, IE6.

My problem is that when browsing a secure (https) site ...
clicking on a ***.ppt hyperlink will NOT display the
PowerPoint slides in the browser window. It works fine
when browsing a non-secure (http) site. I can download the
file and display it later ... but I'd like to be able to
view it through the browser. Viewing .doc, .pdf, .xls
files from either https or http sites works fine. It's
just the .ppt files that are not viewing. I get no error
messages. The pointer changes to the hourglass ... the
laptop starts grinding away like it's doing something ...
the pointer changes back to it's arrow ... and nothing. If
I right click the .ppt hyperlink ... and choose "open in a
new window ... the new window opens ... but it's blank.

The really weird thing about this is that this problem
only seems to be on my laptop. I installed Windows Xp Pro,
Office Xp, and IE6 on an older desktop and encounter no
problems displaying the .ppt slides. I've checked numerous
other Xp users and they don't seem to have the problem I
have.

I've re-installed Windows Xp Pro several times. I've re-
installed Office Xp. I've updated IE6 with whatever
critical updates reommended by Microsoft. I've changed
every security setting in IE6. I've meticulously compared
all the IE6 settings of the desktop vs. the laptop. I've
virtually set all security settings to "0". I've re-
installed the 6 .dll files.

I'd like to re-install IE6 from scratch ... but when I try
to install from the MS site it errors out stating that I
have a newer version installed already.

Is there anyway to uninstall IE6? ... or at least make the
laptop 'think' that my current version is gone, non-
existent, or at least an older version in need of updating?

Jay

1. IE6 will not open ".jpg" and ".gif" files when double-clicked.

I have been using IE6 with WinME since August with no
problems.  Suddenly today - IE6 will not open ".jpg"
and ".gif" files when double-clicked.  HTML files open OK
and if the ".jpg" or ".gif" file is coded into that HTML
file, it displays OK.  Other apps - such as Outlook,
Paint, Image Preview, QuickTime, AOL - all open ".jpg"
and ".gif" files OK.

Any ideas?

2. cursur locks-up

3. "cannot Display page" Error when trying to log on to secure sites

4. Securing workstations.

5. cannot access hotmail or any other "secure" site w' IE6.0

6. Remote access program

7. IE6 "Cannot find Server" or "Page cannot be displayed"

8. MS-DOS Compatibility mode - how to get rid of it?

9. Netscape can access "HTTP://" but not "FTP://" ...

10. Can't enable the "Sites" button for "Trusted Sites"

11. "New Message", "Send Page" & "Send a Link" from IE6

12. "Change/Remove" button does not display in "Add/Remove" Programs

13. "content-disposition","attachment;" does not work in ie6