Can't open "Tools", "Internet Options" due to security setting

Can't open "Tools", "Internet Options" due to security setting

Post by Michae » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:12:02

When I open IE6 and select Tools, Internet Options, I get
an error message which reads:  "Restrictions. This
operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect
on this computer.  Please contact your system
administrator."  This means I cannot change the home page
or other configuration items.  There is no system
administrator (it's me!) so how do I correct this?  Reply

Can't open "Tools", "Internet Options" due to security setting

Post by Manda Luyon » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:35:57

Start > Run > Type gpedit.msc
Go to User Configuration > Administrative Template > Internet Explorer >
Browser menus
Look for: Tools menu: Disable Internet Options......and open it.
Select Enabled and hit Apply.
Select Not Configured and hit Apply
Close gpedit

> When I open IE6 and select Tools, Internet Options, I get
> an error message which reads:  "Restrictions. This
> operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect
> on this computer.  Please contact your system
> administrator."  This means I cannot change the home page
> or other configuration items.  There is no system
> administrator (it's me!) so how do I correct this?  Reply

Can't open "Tools", "Internet Options" due to security setting

Post by Alan Edward » Sat, 25 Jan 2003 07:18:27

Use Regedit.exe and search for NoBrowserOptions and remove it.
If you are unfamiliar with Regedit, then ensure you know how to
restore your Registry in case of error and it is a good to export any
key before deleting.

Check the startup (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab) for any unknown
items if it is reset on reboot.

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

In microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup, "Michael"