OE6 Password Saving Mystery

OE6 Password Saving Mystery

Post by Joseph Carri » Sun, 16 Jun 2002 11:33:00



In the past three months I've acquired two new computers, each equpped
with OEM copies of Win XP Home and Outlook Express 6.  On the desktop
machine, my POP3 mail password will not save; I have to type it in
everytime I go online with OE6.  On the laptop, the password appears
to have saved successfully since I'm not asked to type it in each time
I load OE6.

I doubt that the supplier of the laptop took the trouble to tinker
with the XP registry on the laptop, which gives me hope that there
might be a patch available to fix the desktop. Is there such a patch
-- or some way other than tinkering with the registry -- to fix the
desktop's password saving function?

Thanks.

 
 
 

OE6 Password Saving Mystery

Post by David Gues » Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:10:36


Create new Identities in each of the OE's and then import the mail into it
from the old Main Identity.

Once done, delete the Main Identity. The Mian Identity (the first one
created) seems t problematic to problems with passwords.


Quote:> In the past three months I've acquired two new computers, each equpped
> with OEM copies of Win XP Home and Outlook Express 6.  On the desktop
> machine, my POP3 mail password will not save; I have to type it in
> everytime I go online with OE6.  On the laptop, the password appears
> to have saved successfully since I'm not asked to type it in each time
> I load OE6.

> I doubt that the supplier of the laptop took the trouble to tinker
> with the XP registry on the laptop, which gives me hope that there
> might be a patch available to fix the desktop. Is there such a patch
> -- or some way other than tinkering with the registry -- to fix the
> desktop's password saving function?

> Thanks.


 
 
 

OE6 Password Saving Mystery

Post by Joseph Carri » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 02:33:11


David:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried it and it didn't work.

Besides the Main identity, I've always had a second identity on both
machines that I designated the default identity. I keep that default
identity synchronized on the two machines.

I deleted the MAIN identity on the desktop, despite the
ominous-sounding warning message that popped up.  Then I activated OE6
on the desktop to see what would happen, and again I was asked to
enter the password -- the 'save password' box, with a checkmark
already in it, is grayed out.  With both identities still on the
laptop, (the second one is the default) I'm not asked to reenter my
password there.

The mystery deepens? Or have I misinterpreted your suggestion?


> Create new Identities in each of the OE's and then import the mail into it
> from the old Main Identity.

> Once done, delete the Main Identity. The Mian Identity (the first one
> created) seems t problematic to problems with passwords.



> > In the past three months I've acquired two new computers, each equpped
> > with OEM copies of Win XP Home and Outlook Express 6.  On the desktop
> > machine, my POP3 mail password will not save; I have to type it in
> > everytime I go online with OE6.  On the laptop, the password appears
> > to have saved successfully since I'm not asked to type it in each time
> > I load OE6.

> > I doubt that the supplier of the laptop took the trouble to tinker
> > with the XP registry on the laptop, which gives me hope that there
> > might be a patch available to fix the desktop. Is there such a patch
> > -- or some way other than tinkering with the registry -- to fix the
> > desktop's password saving function?

> > Thanks.

 
 
 

OE6 Password Saving Mystery

Post by Kell » Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:27:50


Hi,

Outlook Express keeps prompting for your password
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP
[AE-Windows? XP]

Windows Troubleshooting & Support
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm


Quote:> In the past three months I've acquired two new computers, each equpped
> with OEM copies of Win XP Home and Outlook Express 6.  On the desktop
> machine, my POP3 mail password will not save; I have to type it in
> everytime I go online with OE6.  On the laptop, the password appears
> to have saved successfully since I'm not asked to type it in each time
> I load OE6.

> I doubt that the supplier of the laptop took the trouble to tinker
> with the XP registry on the laptop, which gives me hope that there
> might be a patch available to fix the desktop. Is there such a patch
> -- or some way other than tinkering with the registry -- to fix the
> desktop's password saving function?

> Thanks.

 
 
 

OE6 Password Saving Mystery

Post by David Gues » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:12:20


Might try this:
http://www.diskovod.ru/tips/eng/tip346.htm


> David:

> Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried it and it didn't work.

> Besides the Main identity, I've always had a second identity on both
> machines that I designated the default identity. I keep that default
> identity synchronized on the two machines.

> I deleted the MAIN identity on the desktop, despite the
> ominous-sounding warning message that popped up.  Then I activated OE6
> on the desktop to see what would happen, and again I was asked to
> enter the password -- the 'save password' box, with a checkmark
> already in it, is grayed out.  With both identities still on the
> laptop, (the second one is the default) I'm not asked to reenter my
> password there.

> The mystery deepens? Or have I misinterpreted your suggestion?




- Show quoted text -

> > Create new Identities in each of the OE's and then import the mail into
it
> > from the old Main Identity.

> > Once done, delete the Main Identity. The Mian Identity (the first one
> > created) seems t problematic to problems with passwords.



> > > In the past three months I've acquired two new computers, each equpped
> > > with OEM copies of Win XP Home and Outlook Express 6.  On the desktop
> > > machine, my POP3 mail password will not save; I have to type it in
> > > everytime I go online with OE6.  On the laptop, the password appears
> > > to have saved successfully since I'm not asked to type it in each time
> > > I load OE6.

> > > I doubt that the supplier of the laptop took the trouble to tinker
> > > with the XP registry on the laptop, which gives me hope that there
> > > might be a patch available to fix the desktop. Is there such a patch
> > > -- or some way other than tinkering with the registry -- to fix the
> > > desktop's password saving function?

> > > Thanks.

 
 
 

1. WinXP - OE6 - Save password box grayed out

See this article:

Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP
http://support.microsoft.com?id=kb;en-us;Q264672

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE
Please do not reply by email.  Use the newsgroup.

2. MaxDX Disappearance!!

3. Passwords won't save in IE6 or OE6

4. Logon Scripts

5. OE6 DUN setting will not save log-on password

6. CDRW Drive intermitent

7. OE6 not saving passwords

8. Picture problems

9. Impossible to save password in POP accounts on OE6

10. XP doesn't save password in OE6

11. OE6 GETTING PASSWORD TO SAVE

12. Saved Password OE6

13. Passwords - won't save - both IE6 + OE6