Roundabout way to fix tree structure?

Post by JoeSpareBedroo » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 00:19:12

About a month ago, OE began crashing when I accessed a certain newsgroup. It
was a group I hadn't been reading much, so I unsubscribed and the problem
was gone. Or, more correctly, it was lurking, waiting for the next
newsgroup. The problem's back today. The crash occurs at two different
times: When I manually click on a certain NG, or when OE scans all groups
for new messages.

Incidentally, I never have more than 50-75 messages in the Inbox, and I
allow auto compacting to do its thing when it wants to.

At http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/, I've read that deleting folders.dbx will
cause the loss of my folder tree structure. I assume this means that all
messages will be blended into one gigantic list. Not good. I'm wondering if
the steps shown below might work. I have twice-daily backups I can restore,
in case of trouble. And, I'm referring below to mail. Newsgroups aren't that
much of a concern at the moment.

1) Delete folders.dbx

2) Start OE and manually delete all messages.

3) Import messages from the latest backup.

The import would get its data from a backup folder which contains the older,
and possibly corrupt folders.dbx. Will I simply be importing the same
problem I began with?

Roundabout way to fix tree structure?

Post by Bruce Hage » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 00:52:22

Your problem may be caused by the specific newsgroup, (most likely). It
could be caused by Folders.dbx, (less likely), or even a damaged identity.

As far as Folders.dbx goes, from Tom's site:

Understand though that you will lose the mail tree structure, all lists of
newsgroups, and all synchronization options, and that message rules will
likely need to be edited.

The only problem with the tree structure is any subfolders will be under
Local Folders and have to be dragged back to their previous location. Not a
big deal. Losing the newsgroups will take more time to recreate. Also
deleting Folders.dbx does not, {should not}, result in any loss of messages.

For your identity:

You may have a damaged identity especially if it is the default Main
Identity. File | Identity | Add New Identity. Create a new one and test it.
If all is well, you can import your messages from the old identity and
delete it.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169
--
           Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Quote:> About a month ago, OE began crashing when I accessed a certain newsgroup.
> problem was gone. Or, more correctly, it was lurking, waiting for the next
> newsgroup. The problem's back today. The crash occurs at two different
> times: When I manually click on a certain NG, or when OE scans all groups
> for new messages.

> Incidentally, I never have more than 50-75 messages in the Inbox, and I
> allow auto compacting to do its thing when it wants to.

> At http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/, I've read that deleting folders.dbx
> will cause the loss of my folder tree structure. I assume this means that
> all messages will be blended into one gigantic list. Not good. I'm
> wondering if the steps shown below might work. I have twice-daily backups
> I can restore, in case of trouble. And, I'm referring below to mail.
> Newsgroups aren't that much of a concern at the moment.

> 1) Delete folders.dbx

> 2) Start OE and manually delete all messages.

> 3) Import messages from the latest backup.

> The import would get its data from a backup folder which contains the
> older, and possibly corrupt folders.dbx. Will I simply be importing the
> same problem I began with?

Roundabout way to fix tree structure?

Post by DGues » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 01:06:14

Mail folder structure can eaily be placed back to what it was by a simple
drag and drop of a folder to another folder to create a subfolder.

News folders (groups) can not be done in a similar manner.

And yes, if the problem persisted in an older backup, it would also be there
when you restored that backup.

Post by CAHERNANDE » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 01:11:59

Quote:> About a month ago, OE began crashing when I accessed a certain newsgroup.
> It was a group I hadn't been reading much, so I unsubscribed and the
> problem was gone. Or, more correctly, it was lurking, waiting for the next
> newsgroup. The problem's back today. The crash occurs at two different
> times: When I manually click on a certain NG, or when OE scans all groups
> for new messages.

> Incidentally, I never have more than 50-75 messages in the Inbox, and I
> allow auto compacting to do its thing when it wants to.

> At http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/, I've read that deleting folders.dbx
> will cause the loss of my folder tree structure. I assume this means that
> all messages will be blended into one gigantic list. Not good. I'm
> wondering if the steps shown below might work. I have twice-daily backups
> I can restore, in case of trouble. And, I'm referring below to mail.
> Newsgroups aren't that much of a concern at the moment.

> 1) Delete folders.dbx

> 2) Start OE and manually delete all messages.

> 3) Import messages from the latest backup.

> The import would get its data from a backup folder which contains the
> older, and possibly corrupt folders.dbx. Will I simply be importing the
> same problem I began with?

Roundabout way to fix tree structure?

Post by JoeSpareBedroo » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 01:21:49

Quote:> Your problem may be caused by the specific newsgroup, (most likely). It
> could be caused by Folders.dbx, (less likely), or even a damaged identity.

That was my theory, too (specific newsgroup). So, I unsubscribed from that
group, compacted folders, shut down OE, and made sure that particular NG
.dbx file was really gone from the message folder. Restarted OE, subscribed
to that NG again, and had the same problem.

Quote:> As far as Folders.dbx goes, from Tom's site:

> Understand though that you will lose the mail tree structure, all lists of
> newsgroups, and all synchronization options, and that message rules will
> likely need to be edited.

> The only problem with the tree structure is any subfolders will be under
> Local Folders and have to be dragged back to their previous location. Not
> a big deal. Losing the newsgroups will take more time to recreate. Also
> deleting Folders.dbx does not, {should not}, result in any loss of
> messages.

I can deal with losing newsgroups. I've only got a dozen. Message rules - I
wonder about exporting them from the registry before I start messing things
up, and then bringing them back in again later.

Post by Bruce Hage » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 02:54:11

>> Your problem may be caused by the specific newsgroup, (most likely). It
>> could be caused by Folders.dbx, (less likely), or even a damaged
>> identity.

> That was my theory, too (specific newsgroup). So, I unsubscribed from that
> group, compacted folders, shut down OE, and made sure that particular NG
> .dbx file was really gone from the message folder. Restarted OE,
> subscribed to that NG again, and had the same problem.

>> As far as Folders.dbx goes, from Tom's site:

>> Understand though that you will lose the mail tree structure, all lists
>> of newsgroups, and all synchronization options, and that message rules
>> will likely need to be edited.

>> The only problem with the tree structure is any subfolders will be under
>> Local Folders and have to be dragged back to their previous location. Not
>> a big deal. Losing the newsgroups will take more time to recreate. Also
>> deleting Folders.dbx does not, {should not}, result in any loss of
>> messages.

> I can deal with losing newsgroups. I've only got a dozen. Message rules -
> I wonder about exporting them from the registry before I start messing
> things up, and then bringing them back in again later.

I tested on another identity, and the only thing that happened to my rules
were they had the red check where the black check should have been. These
were only rules that moved messages to a specified folder and respecifying
put them back in order. I do not know for sure what exactly to expect with
other rules such as Subject, so a backup would be wise.

Use either the Clone or Partial methods here:
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/partial.htm
--
           Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Post by JoeSpareBedroo » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 03:00:14

>>> Your problem may be caused by the specific newsgroup, (most likely). It
>>> could be caused by Folders.dbx, (less likely), or even a damaged
>>> identity.

>> That was my theory, too (specific newsgroup). So, I unsubscribed from
>> that group, compacted folders, shut down OE, and made sure that
>> particular NG .dbx file was really gone from the message folder.
>> Restarted OE, subscribed to that NG again, and had the same problem.

>>> As far as Folders.dbx goes, from Tom's site:

>>> Understand though that you will lose the mail tree structure, all lists
>>> of newsgroups, and all synchronization options, and that message rules
>>> will likely need to be edited.

>>> The only problem with the tree structure is any subfolders will be under
>>> Local Folders and have to be dragged back to their previous location.
>>> Not a big deal. Losing the newsgroups will take more time to recreate.
>>> Also deleting Folders.dbx does not, {should not}, result in any loss of
>>> messages.

>> I can deal with losing newsgroups. I've only got a dozen. Message rules -
>> I wonder about exporting them from the registry before I start messing
>> things up, and then bringing them back in again later.

> I tested on another identity, and the only thing that happened to my rules
> were they had the red check where the black check should have been. These
> were only rules that moved messages to a specified folder and respecifying
> put them back in order. I do not know for sure what exactly to expect with
> other rules such as Subject, so a backup would be wise.

> Use either the Clone or Partial methods here:
> http://www.insideoe.com/backup/partial.htm
> --
>           Bruce Hagen
> MS MVP - Outlook Express
>              ~IB-CA~

Thank you, Bruce.

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP O » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 07:17:37

Quote:> About a month ago, OE began crashing when I accessed a certain newsgroup.
> It was a group I hadn't been reading much, so I unsubscribed and the
> problem was gone. Or, more correctly, it was lurking, waiting for the next
> newsgroup. The problem's back today. The crash occurs at two different
> times: When I manually click on a certain NG, or when OE scans all groups
> for new messages.

> Incidentally, I never have more than 50-75 messages in the Inbox, and I
> allow auto compacting to do its thing when it wants to.

> At http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/, I've read that deleting folders.dbx
> will cause the loss of my folder tree structure. I assume this means that
> all messages will be blended into one gigantic list. Not good. I'm
> wondering if the steps shown below might work. I have twice-daily backups
> I can restore, in case of trouble. And, I'm referring below to mail.
> Newsgroups aren't that much of a concern at the moment.

> 1) Delete folders.dbx

> 2) Start OE and manually delete all messages.

> 3) Import messages from the latest backup.

> The import would get its data from a backup folder which contains the
> older, and possibly corrupt folders.dbx. Will I simply be importing the
> same problem I began with?

Right click the problem newsgroup and choose Properties | Local File |
Reset.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup