Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by michgal2 » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 00:11:01

I had to restore my PC. I have a CD with my old OE data on it in the form of
.dbx files. I have copied them to the new location - Documents &
Settings/..../Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/.......

The only file that copied fine is sent items.  None of the other folders are
showing when I open OE. I have tried creating the folder in OE and all that
does is created a duplication entry in Windows Explorer.

Can someone give the corect directions on how to do this?  I would so
appreciate it.

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by Bruce Hage » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 00:19:07

Copy the CD to a folder on your HDD, remove the Read Only attribute, and
then import the files. Note that if you didn't include Folders.dbx, user
created folders will not import.

See this for complete details.

Backup & Restore:
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/
--
           Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Quote:>I had to restore my PC. I have a CD with my old OE data on it in the form
>of
> .dbx files. I have copied them to the new location - Documents &
> Settings/..../Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/.......

> The only file that copied fine is sent items.  None of the other folders
> are
> showing when I open OE. I have tried creating the folder in OE and all
> that
> does is created a duplication entry in Windows Explorer.

> Can someone give the corect directions on how to do this?  I would so
> appreciate it.

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by Ron Somme » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 00:26:25

Create a new folder on your hard drive.
Copy the files from the CD to the new folder.

You must remove the Read Only attribute.
Highlight all of the dbx files, Properties, uncheck Read Only.
Files coming from a CD are Read Only.

Open OE, File, Import,  File| Import| Messages| OE6| Message store
directory, then browse to the new folder.
--
Ron Sommer

Quote:>I had to restore my PC. I have a CD with my old OE data on it in the form
>of
> .dbx files. I have copied them to the new location - Documents &
> Settings/..../Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/.......

> The only file that copied fine is sent items.  None of the other folders
> are
> showing when I open OE. I have tried creating the folder in OE and all
> that
> does is created a duplication entry in Windows Explorer.

> Can someone give the corect directions on how to do this?  I would so
> appreciate it.

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by michgal2 » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 01:06:02

None of the files are Read Only. I have a new folder created on my desktop -
Mail Backup. When I go to Import - I select Messages - OE 6 - Main Identity -
the I browse for the location (desktop folder).  It looks like it ''s working
BUT what happened is it too the folders in OE6 and put them in the Mail
Backup Folder.

> Create a new folder on your hard drive.
> Copy the files from the CD to the new folder.

> You must remove the Read Only attribute.
> Highlight all of the dbx files, Properties, uncheck Read Only.
> Files coming from a CD are Read Only.

> Open OE, File, Import,  File| Import| Messages| OE6| Message store
> directory, then browse to the new folder.
> --
> Ron Sommer

> >I had to restore my PC. I have a CD with my old OE data on it in the form
> >of
> > .dbx files. I have copied them to the new location - Documents &
> > Settings/..../Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/.......

> > The only file that copied fine is sent items.  None of the other folders
> > are
> > showing when I open OE. I have tried creating the folder in OE and all
> > that
> > does is created a duplication entry in Windows Explorer.

> > Can someone give the corect directions on how to do this?  I would so
> > appreciate it.

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by Ron Somme » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 02:03:51

You are not transferring from one Identity on the computer to another
Identity on the computer.
Select OE store folder, not Main Identity.
--
Ron Sommer

> None of the files are Read Only. I have a new folder created on my
> desktop -
> Mail Backup. When I go to Import - I select Messages - OE 6 - Main
> Identity -
> the I browse for the location (desktop folder).  It looks like it ''s
> working
> BUT what happened is it too the folders in OE6 and put them in the Mail
> Backup Folder.

>> Create a new folder on your hard drive.
>> Copy the files from the CD to the new folder.

>> You must remove the Read Only attribute.
>> Highlight all of the dbx files, Properties, uncheck Read Only.
>> Files coming from a CD are Read Only.

>> Open OE, File, Import,  File| Import| Messages| OE6| Message store
>> directory, then browse to the new folder.
>> --
>> Ron Sommer

>> >I had to restore my PC. I have a CD with my old OE data on it in the
>> >form
>> >of
>> > .dbx files. I have copied them to the new location - Documents &
>> > Settings/..../Local Settings/Application Data/Identities/.......

>> > The only file that copied fine is sent items.  None of the other
>> > folders
>> > are
>> > showing when I open OE. I have tried creating the folder in OE and all
>> > that
>> > does is created a duplication entry in Windows Explorer.

>> > Can someone give the corect directions on how to do this?  I would so
>> > appreciate it.

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by michgal2 » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 02:36:01

 The results are the same. It copied TO the Mail Backup folder.... not FROM.
Anything else I can do or try?  Would Outlook work the same way.  I'll do
almost anything not to lose this data/mail.

> You are not transferring from one Identity on the computer to another
> Identity on the computer.
> Select OE store folder, not Main Identity.
> --
> Ron Sommer

> > None of the files are Read Only. I have a new folder created on my
> > desktop -
> > Mail Backup. When I go to Import - I select Messages - OE 6 - Main
> > Identity -
> > the I browse for the location (desktop folder).  It looks like it ''s
> > working
> > BUT what happened is it too the folders in OE6 and put them in the Mail
> > Backup Folder.

> >> Create a new folder on your hard drive.
> >> Copy the files from the CD to the new folder.

> >> You must remove the Read Only attribute.
> >> Highlight all of the dbx files, Properties, uncheck Read Only.
> >> Files coming from a CD are Read Only.

> >> Open OE, File, Import,  File| Import| Messages| OE6| Message store
> >> directory, then browse to the new folder.
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by Ron Somme » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 06:35:43

In OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, Store Folder button.
What is the Store Folder location?
--
Ron Sommer

> The results are the same. It copied TO the Mail Backup folder.... not
> FROM.
> Anything else I can do or try?  Would Outlook work the same way.  I'll do
> almost anything not to lose this data/mail.

>> You are not transferring from one Identity on the computer to another
>> Identity on the computer.
>> Select OE store folder, not Main Identity.
>> --
>> Ron Sommer

>> > None of the files are Read Only. I have a new folder created on my
>> > desktop -
>> > Mail Backup. When I go to Import - I select Messages - OE 6 - Main
>> > Identity -
>> > the I browse for the location (desktop folder).  It looks like it ''s
>> > working
>> > BUT what happened is it too the folders in OE6 and put them in the Mail
>> > Backup Folder.

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by michgal2 » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:17:02

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{4E3254D7-522A-412A-9296-3F4767B3A2CB}\Microsoft\Outlook
Express

> In OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, Store Folder button.
> What is the Store Folder location?
> --
> Ron Sommer

> > The results are the same. It copied TO the Mail Backup folder.... not
> > FROM.
> > Anything else I can do or try?  Would Outlook work the same way.  I'll do
> > almost anything not to lose this data/mail.

> >> You are not transferring from one Identity on the computer to another
> >> Identity on the computer.
> >> Select OE store folder, not Main Identity.
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by michgal2 » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:23:01

When I point to that store folder location using import - I get an error.
"The specified message store could not be opened.  It may be in use by
Outlook Express." Then when I click OK - I get "No messges can be found in
this folder or another is running that has the required files open.  Please
select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open."

> In OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, Store Folder button.
> What is the Store Folder location?
> --
> Ron Sommer

> > The results are the same. It copied TO the Mail Backup folder.... not
> > FROM.
> > Anything else I can do or try?  Would Outlook work the same way.  I'll do
> > almost anything not to lose this data/mail.

> >> You are not transferring from one Identity on the computer to another
> >> Identity on the computer.
> >> Select OE store folder, not Main Identity.
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by Ron Somme » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 12:38:01

Open OE, File, Import, Messages, OE6, Import from an OE Message store,
then browse to the Mail Backup folder.
--
Ron Sommer

> When I point to that store folder location using import - I get an error.
> "The specified message store could not be opened.  It may be in use by
> Outlook Express." Then when I click OK - I get "No messges can be found in
> this folder or another is running that has the required files open.
> Please
> select another folder or try closing applications that may have files
> open."

>> In OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, Store Folder button.
>> What is the Store Folder location?
>> --
>> Ron Sommer

>> > The results are the same. It copied TO the Mail Backup folder.... not
>> > FROM.
>> > Anything else I can do or try?  Would Outlook work the same way.  I'll
>> > do
>> > almost anything not to lose this data/mail.

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by michgal2 » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 22:54:02

Already tried that - didn't work.
I was able to find some FREE software - OE Viewer. I was then able to see
the email & send them to myself. From there I was able to open the email &
resave it to a folder within OE.  Long process but bottom line - I was able
to recover all my email.

Now what is the best method for backing up email using OE????
Do you recommend backing up to CD-RW or DVD-RW?
Any other helpful hints you want to share?

Thanks for your help.

> Open OE, File, Import, Messages, OE6, Import from an OE Message store,
> then browse to the Mail Backup folder.
> --
> Ron Sommer

> > When I point to that store folder location using import - I get an error.
> > "The specified message store could not be opened.  It may be in use by
> > Outlook Express." Then when I click OK - I get "No messges can be found in
> > this folder or another is running that has the required files open.
> > Please
> > select another folder or try closing applications that may have files
> > open."

> >> In OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance tab, Store Folder button.
> >> What is the Store Folder location?
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, OE/W » Sun, 04 Jun 2006 23:12:20

Quote:

> Now what is the best method for backing up email using OE????
> Do you recommend backing up to CD-RW or DVD-RW?
> Any other helpful hints you want to share?

Backing up and Cloning your OE Identities
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/index.htm
and
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/OEtopten.mspx#EBAA
Number 1
and
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, OE/WM
Please reply in newsgroup.

1. Cant transfer or import OE Inbox.dbx file from old 2K PC to new XP PC

Hello,
I recently bought a new PC and had transferred my documents and
settings folder to a rewritable DVD so that I could transfer my
outlook express e-mail to my new windowsXP machine (my old PC ran
windows 2K).  I follow the instructions I had seen online about
transferring my old store folder with the .dbx files to the store
folder on my new PC.  I found out what the new store folder was by
looking under maintenance/store folder.  When I did this and started
outlook express I noticed all the folders that I had created on my old
machine where there with all their messages however the inbox was
empty but I had a lot of messages in my old inbox, the inbox on my old
machine was 22 MB.  I also tried creating a new identity in outlook
express in creating a subfolder that match the name of each .dbx file
I was trying to transfer of this did not work either. The folder files
I was trying to transfer were not read only files.

-was I supposed to create a subfolder for the outlook express system
files such as the "folders "subfolder?  Also, I noticed in the new
store folder there were .dbx files "inbox (1).dbx " and "folders
(1).dbx " files.  Does this have anything to do with my not being able
to get to the files in my old inbox.dbx?  Also, I tried using DBXtract
to open my inbox file but when it ran the status bar appeared then
disappeared but no messages appeared in the window.  I tried running
it on some other outlook express folder files in eight extracted
e-mails fine, is there a size limitation for DBXtract? Any idea if
DBXpress would work any better?

I also tried importing the inbox files and at first got a message that
the files were in use or didn't exist.  I tried this importing from
both the main identity as well as a store file but got the same
message.  I set up a new identity in tried this again and got to the
point where I was prompted for which folder I wanted to import and
selected inbox however again, no messages appeared in the new inbox.

Any help you can provide is greatly, greatly appreciated!

Daniel

Dan

Remove NOSPAM from address when replying

2. ANN: New version of FrotzCE available

3. OE 6 import not working after coping .dbx files to new pc oe folder

4. "Save as ..."

5. Move old OE messages saved in DBX files to OE

6. Switching Between Multiple Users

7. Transfer files from earlier OE versions to Winxp OE

8. HP OfficeJet R80xi - Can't Install

9. File Transfer OE 5.0 to OE 6.0

10. DBX files ready to transfer to new computer help please

11. transfering Local Folder.dbx files, new issue now

12. Transfering DBX Files

13. Transfering old .dbx folder files from outlook express 6 to the same on new comp