Getting IE 5 favorites in OS 9 to IE5.1 favorites in OS X

Getting IE 5 favorites in OS 9 to IE5.1 favorites in OS X

Post by Mike » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:30:37

The "import favorites" button is always grayed out. In fact, why is it
there? It's like it's saying "wouldn't it be great if you could do this!"

Anyway, can anyone tell me how these buttons are used?

Thank you!

Post by Richard Griev » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 03:58:49

> The "import favorites" button is always grayed out. In fact, why is it
> there? It's like it's saying "wouldn't it be great if you could do this!"

> Anyway, can anyone tell me how these buttons are used?

> Thank you!

The "Import Favorites" menu option is only available after you've gone
to Favorites > Organise Favorites in order to open up the Favorites
window (if that makes sense).

Personally, I prefer the method of sharing faves between OS 9 and OS X
by aliasing Mac HD:System Folder:Preferences:Explorer:Favorites.html to
/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Explorer/Favorites.html

Ricky

Getting IE 5 favorites in OS 9 to IE5.1 favorites in OS X

Post by Mike » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 06:52:57

Thx.

That works great. Kinda crappy that we have to do this, but it works.

Thanks again!

Post by Core » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 06:28:44

> Personally, I prefer the method of sharing faves between OS 9 and OS X
> by aliasing Mac HD:System Folder:Preferences:Explorer:Favorites.html to Users/username/Library/Preferences/Explorer/Favorites.html

> Ricky

Could you explain in more detail this procedure to a newer Mac user?
It looks like you are connecting the 9.2 pref to the X folder, but I
don't understand how.

Also, do you have any knowledge about bringing in PC outlook exp.
messages into Mac outlook ex. I have the .dbx files, but the Mac Oex.
doesn't want to import them.

Post by Richard Griev » Sat, 30 Mar 2002 18:11:34

> > Personally, I prefer the method of sharing faves between OS 9 and OS X
> > by aliasing Mac HD:System Folder:Preferences:Explorer:Favorites.html to
> > Users/username/Library/Preferences/Explorer/Favorites.html

> > Ricky

> Could you explain in more detail this procedure to a newer Mac user?
> It looks like you are connecting the 9.2 pref to the X folder, but I
> don't understand how.

> Also, do you have any knowledge about bringing in PC outlook exp.
> messages into Mac outlook ex. I have the .dbx files, but the Mac Oex.
> doesn't want to import them.

OK, "Sharing faves for beginners"... :-)

NOTE: The following assumes that your most up-to-date faves file is the
OS 9.x version of "Favorites.html".

1) Quit Internet Explorer if it is running and then navigate to Mac
HD:System Folder:Preferences:Explorer:
2) Click "Favorites.html" once to highlight it
3) Go to File > Make Alias (or use the Apple-M key combination)
4) Drag the newly-created alias (should be called "Favorites.html
alias") to the desktop
5) Rename the "Favorites.html alias" file to "Favorites.html" (without
quotes)
6) Drag the desktop "Favorites.html" file into
Users/username/Library/Preferences/Explorer/
7) The Finder should prompt you to replace the existing file, so click
Replace.

If the steps have been completed successfully, launching IE in either OS
9.x or OS X should present you with the same faves file.  Any changes to
your faves should now be mirrored when you switch to using the alternate
version of IE.

Right, to transfer PC OE 5 messages to Mac OE 5, take a look at the
following...

http://homepages.which.net/~techie.grim/macfaq/articles/024.html

I put the above information together as a result of a posting here from
Mike H, and the method seems to work quite well.  Hopefully, it should
be reasonably straightforward to follow (before anyone comments, I know
that the "Top" anchors don't work at present unless you're using a
PC...)

Hope that helps,

Ricky

1. ? Importing IE 5.1.3 (OS X) Favorites Export into IE 5.1 (OS 9)

I can export the favorites.html file from OS X.  But when I import from OS 9
(either Explorer 5.0 or the new Explorer IE 5.1), I just see an .html
document of the OS X-exported favorites  when I select "organize favorites"
in an attempt to replace the old with the new.

This happened in earlier versions of OS X, as well as in OS 10.1.2, and in
earlier versions of OS 9, as well as in OS 9.2.2.

Your counsel, please?

Respectfully, Norman Nager

2. Speed - connection vs. download

3. IE5 Plug-ins for OS X and other stuff

4. Language?

5. Plug-ins for IE 5.1 on OS X

6. How to install OE6

7. Plug-ins for IE 5.1 for Mac Os X

8. HELP!!!!!Reformatting in XP pro

9. ?? COMBINING OS 9---OS 10.1 FAVORITES

10. Favorites from OS 9 to OS 10

11. Importing IE 6 (Windows 9) Favorites into IE 5.1 (Mac OS X)

12. IE 5.1.3 (OS X.1.3) Favorite bar stopped being anti-aliasing?how to fix?

13. import favorites from a PC to OS X IE 5