Maximum size of database in OExpress

Post by Rick Casse » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:19:14

Is there any limits to the 'reasonable' maximum number of messages or file
size in the outlook database.  Client has thousands of saved messages and
states they are all important to him and he wants to keep, but,  it has been
crash city for this outlook express after several uninstall and reinstall
and clean up and fixes provided by microsoft.  It works for a while and then
starts locking up crashing again.

5000,, 10,000,  25,000  100,000

Where is the limit?  Of course, there is no notes at microsoft .com about
this.

Rick

Maximum size of database in OExpress

Post by PA Bea » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:31:44

Most users begin to see problems when the total size of their store
(http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/store.htm#storemain) approaches 200
MB.  YMMV.

Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.  To archive tons of messages, it's best to
either import them into another seldom-used Identity or copy them to a
backup medium and delete them from the active Identity.

Disable Background Compacting and frequently perform a manual compact of all
OE folders while "working offline".  More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.

Backup & Restore OE Data
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx

OE Freebie Backup
HTH...Please post back to this thread

~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

MS04-004/02 Feb-04 Cumulative Patch for IE
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Post by Steve Cochra » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:13:49

> Most users begin to see problems when the total size of their store
> (http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/store.htm#storemain) approaches 200
> MB.  YMMV.

I would disagree with this.  The total size of the message store seems irrelevant when background compaction is disabled.

steve

> Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages.  Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.  To archive tons of messages, it's best to
> either import them into another seldom-used Identity or copy them to a
> backup medium and delete them from the active Identity.

> Disable Background Compacting and frequently perform a manual compact of all
> OE folders while "working offline".  More at
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

> Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
> corruption.  Disable it.  It provides no additional protection.

> Backup & Restore OE Data
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/index.htm
> http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#importdbx

> OE Freebie Backup
> --
> HTH...Please post back to this thread

> ~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

> MS04-004/02 Feb-04 Cumulative Patch for IE
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

>> Is there any limits to the 'reasonable' maximum number of messages or file
>> size in the outlook database.  Client has thousands of saved messages and
>> states they are all important to him and he wants to keep, but,  it has
>> been crash city for this outlook express after several uninstall and
>> reinstall and clean up and fixes provided by microsoft.  It works for a
>> while and then starts locking up crashing again.

>> 5000,, 10,000,  25,000  100,000

>> Where is the limit?  Of course, there is no notes at microsoft .com about
>> this.

>> Rick

Maximum size of database in OExpress

Post by Steve Cochra » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:14:56

Its not the number of messages, but rather the size of the individual folders that is the problem.  Keep them under 100 megs and you should be okay, if you follow what PA Bear indicated and turn off background compaction.

steve

> Is there any limits to the 'reasonable' maximum number of messages or file
> size in the outlook database.  Client has thousands of saved messages and
> states they are all important to him and he wants to keep, but,  it has been
> crash city for this outlook express after several uninstall and reinstall
> and clean up and fixes provided by microsoft.  It works for a while and then
> starts locking up crashing again.

> 5000,, 10,000,  25,000  100,000

> Where is the limit?  Of course, there is no notes at microsoft .com about
> this.

> Rick

Maximum size of database in OExpress

Post by Dr. Inder » Sat, 07 Feb 2004 14:21:39

hi steve,

does one newsgroup equal one folder?
i checked the size of a few newsgroup from the properties option on the
shortcut menu and the ones i checked were less than 10 meg each.

thanks
indera

Its not the number of messages, but rather the size of the individual
folders that is the problem.  Keep them under 100 megs and you should be
okay, if you follow what PA Bear indicated and turn off background
compaction.

steve

Quote:> Is there any limits to the 'reasonable' maximum number of messages or file
> size in the outlook database.  Client has thousands of saved messages and
> states they are all important to him and he wants to keep, but,  it has
been
> crash city for this outlook express after several uninstall and reinstall
> and clean up and fixes provided by microsoft.  It works for a while and
then
> starts locking up crashing again.

> 5000,, 10,000,  25,000  100,000

> Where is the limit?  Of course, there is no notes at microsoft .com about
> this.

> Rick

Maximum size of database in OExpress

Post by Steve Cochra » Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:23:14

Each mail and news folder has its own dbx file.  So yes, one NG = one folder.

steve

> hi steve,

> does one newsgroup equal one folder?
> i checked the size of a few newsgroup from the properties option on the
> shortcut menu and the ones i checked were less than 10 meg each.

> thanks
> indera

> Its not the number of messages, but rather the size of the individual
> folders that is the problem.  Keep them under 100 megs and you should be
> okay, if you follow what PA Bear indicated and turn off background
> compaction.

> steve

>> Is there any limits to the 'reasonable' maximum number of messages or file
>> size in the outlook database.  Client has thousands of saved messages and
>> states they are all important to him and he wants to keep, but,  it has
> been
>> crash city for this outlook express after several uninstall and reinstall
>> and clean up and fixes provided by microsoft.  It works for a while and
> then
>> starts locking up crashing again.

>> 5000,, 10,000,  25,000  100,000

>> Where is the limit?  Of course, there is no notes at microsoft .com about
>> this.

>> Rick

Maximum size of database in OExpress

Post by Dr. Inder » Tue, 10 Feb 2004 07:25:12

thanks steve.
i'm safe then.
i've got to figure out a way to control all of this email. <smile>

Each mail and news folder has its own dbx file.  So yes, one NG = one
folder.

steve

> hi steve,

> does one newsgroup equal one folder?
> i checked the size of a few newsgroup from the properties option on the
> shortcut menu and the ones i checked were less than 10 meg each.

> thanks
> indera

> Its not the number of messages, but rather the size of the individual
> folders that is the problem.  Keep them under 100 megs and you should be
> okay, if you follow what PA Bear indicated and turn off background
> compaction.

> steve

>> Is there any limits to the 'reasonable' maximum number of messages or
file
>> size in the outlook database.  Client has thousands of saved messages and
>> states they are all important to him and he wants to keep, but,  it has
> been
>> crash city for this outlook express after several uninstall and reinstall
>> and clean up and fixes provided by microsoft.  It works for a while and
> then
>> starts locking up crashing again.

>> 5000,, 10,000,  25,000  100,000

>> Where is the limit?  Of course, there is no notes at microsoft .com about
>> this.

>> Rick

1. HELP with MAXIMUM swap file size and recommended size

        I am using a windows 3.1 and stacker 4.0 together.  I have
decided to create my permanent swapfile on my original hardware,
i.E. the physical drive with the big STACVOL.DSK on it.  this is
my F: drive.  There are about 15meg free on this drive;  when I
triedt to create a permanent swap file on it, the maximum swap size shown
was about 14meg, and recommended size 7 or 8 meg.  since I don't have much
of any thing else on that drive, i set the size of the swap file to 12 meg.
however, the windows told me that "WIndows will not use more than the
recommended swap file size.  Are you sure...." etc.  I did not really
understand this.  I just clicked OK, and restarted windows.  When i checked
"About program Manager" in HELP of program manager, it said about 7meg
of memory free.  So it seemed that the windows really did not use more than
7 meg of the permanent swsap file.  Is there any way to correct this?
any help is appreciated.

                By the way, I have dos 6.21, qemm 7.04, and 4 meg of
ram on a 386 DX40 ...

2. Norton 2002 & Server 2000

3. What is the maximum buffer size for windows media player 7?

4. Password misplaced

5. Does anyone know the maximum file size MMDirector will accept?

6. How do I install 98se on an XP machine

7. maximum raster font size ?

8. Hacker :S

9. Maximum file size AVI files

10. Maximum frame size

11. Maximum gif size

12. Maximum Size of .dbx File or Corrupted?

13. Maximum Size for animated bitmaps?