Outlook Express vs. Outlook Expr

Post by Derric » Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:09:02

I am getting ready to use the Win XP Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to
move data from my old desktop PC to my new desktop PC via my router.
But, my old PC has two sets of mailboxes (like Inbox.dbx):
  One set in folder Outlook Express
  One set in folder Outlook Expr
The mailboxes in Outlook Express are dated 9/23/2002 and never change.
The mailboxes in Outlook Expr have today's data and change as I read and
delete my email.

1. How did I get these two separate folders?
2. Will the Wizard know which folder to use to transfer my email?

Thank you.
Derrick

Outlook Express vs. Outlook Expr

Post by Tom Koc » Tue, 28 Dec 2004 04:16:19

Quote:> I am getting ready to use the Win XP Files and Settings Transfer
> Wizard to move data from my old desktop PC to my new desktop PC via
> my router. But, my old PC has two sets of mailboxes (like Inbox.dbx):
>  One set in folder Outlook Express
>  One set in folder Outlook Expr
> The mailboxes in Outlook Express are dated 9/23/2002 and never change.
> The mailboxes in Outlook Expr have today's data and change as I read
> and delete my email.

> 1. How did I get these two separate folders?

The old folder probably belongs to OE5, possibly installed as an upgrade to
OE4. Or it might belong to an old OE Identity that is no longer in use.

Quote:> 2. Will the Wizard know which folder to use to transfer my email?

It should do so automatically. The wizard recognizes the files and settings
that Windows recognizes at the time. If for some reason the correct files are
not transferred, you can copy them manually and import them.
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

--
Tom Koch, MVP for IE/Outlook Express
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com

Outlook Express vs. Outlook Expr

Post by Derric » Tue, 28 Dec 2004 05:09:04

Great.  Thank you very much for your help.

Derrick

> > I am getting ready to use the Win XP Files and Settings Transfer
> > Wizard to move data from my old desktop PC to my new desktop PC via
> > my router. But, my old PC has two sets of mailboxes (like Inbox.dbx):
> >  One set in folder Outlook Express
> >  One set in folder Outlook Expr
> > The mailboxes in Outlook Express are dated 9/23/2002 and never change.
> > The mailboxes in Outlook Expr have today's data and change as I read
> > and delete my email.

> > 1. How did I get these two separate folders?

> The old folder probably belongs to OE5, possibly installed as an upgrade to
> OE4. Or it might belong to an old OE Identity that is no longer in use.

> > 2. Will the Wizard know which folder to use to transfer my email?

> It should do so automatically. The wizard recognizes the files and settings
> that Windows recognizes at the time. If for some reason the correct files are
> not transferred, you can copy them manually and import them.
> http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

> --
> Tom Koch, MVP for IE/Outlook Express
> http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com
> or http://www.insideoe.com
> Awareness is free.

Outlook Express vs. Outlook Expr

Post by Tom Koc » Tue, 28 Dec 2004 05:21:05

BTW, Derrick, I should also have mentioned that you could manually clone your
current OE Identity and transfer the whole thing yourself:
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/clone.htm