Changing Address Book Folder

Post by Rick » Sat, 13 Dec 2003 02:31:28

How can I re-designate the folder location where Outlook
Express finds the .wab to open for a specific User
Identity?  I searched through all of the Help docs and am
unable to fine any reference for this.  I have 3 PCs
operating on a home network and want to assure that the
same address book is accessed by Outlook Express no
matter which PC is used to access email.

Changing Address Book Folder

Post by PA Bea » Sat, 13 Dec 2003 06:48:18

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/how.htm#movewab

except that...

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#network
--
HTH...Please post back to this thread

~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

Protect Your PC

>> How can I re-designate the folder location where Outlook
>> Express finds the .wab to open for a specific User
>> Identity?  I searched through all of the Help docs and am
>> unable to fine any reference for this.  I have 3 PCs
>> operating on a home network and want to assure that the
>> same address book is accessed by Outlook Express no
>> matter which PC is used to access email.

Changing Address Book Folder

Post by Rick » Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:45:19

This could be complicated.  I have checked the registry
and the folder containing the WAB file I want to access
is correctly identified.  The date of the file is
11/13/03.  I know I have added contacts since this date.
So the contacts I'm adding are finding their way to some
other location.

The contact list/address book I'm trying to change is my
wife's.  I previously attempted to load Outlook 2000 on
my PC which uses XP home and has three separately
designated users with personalized desk tops.  After I
installed OL2000 (I thought for myself) I discovered that
it changed EVERY USERS ACCESS to OL2000.  This was not
desired.  I have since attempted to reestablish the
connection for my wife to OE.

Did the change to OL2000 change the file (and folder)
where her contacts are stored?  When I search for WAB
files none of them are dated after 11/13/2003 so I
suspect that the contacts are no longer stored in a WAB
file.

I tried to access the OL2000 community group but unable
to get to the posting site.  Instead I'm given a bunch of
other alternatives to get help for OL2000.

Post by DGues » Fri, 19 Dec 2003 08:19:38

When you set Outlook or OE or even Eudora or something else as the default
email program, it will become the default for all users. Thats one thing I
want to get to fixing SP2 when it's beta starts.

When Outlook is the default and the Address Book is set to be shared, all
contacts will be in Outlook's contacts and not in the Windows Address Book's
wab file. Outlook stores them in it's .pst file.

Look in Address Book's  Tools  menu, There should be an Option  | Share
Address Book.  If it' s set, Outlook has control of the Contacts. Uncheck
that to release it back to Address Book's wab file.

> This could be complicated.  I have checked the registry
> and the folder containing the WAB file I want to access
> is correctly identified.  The date of the file is
> 11/13/03.  I know I have added contacts since this date.
> So the contacts I'm adding are finding their way to some
> other location.

> The contact list/address book I'm trying to change is my
> wife's.  I previously attempted to load Outlook 2000 on
> my PC which uses XP home and has three separately
> designated users with personalized desk tops.  After I
> installed OL2000 (I thought for myself) I discovered that
> it changed EVERY USERS ACCESS to OL2000.  This was not
> desired.  I have since attempted to reestablish the
> connection for my wife to OE.

> Did the change to OL2000 change the file (and folder)
> where her contacts are stored?  When I search for WAB
> files none of them are dated after 11/13/2003 so I
> suspect that the contacts are no longer stored in a WAB
> file.

> I tried to access the OL2000 community group but unable
> to get to the posting site.  Instead I'm given a bunch of
> other alternatives to get help for OL2000.

Post by PA Bea » Sat, 20 Dec 2003 04:04:30

I'm not certain the Tools>share... option is present in all (or any)
versions of OE6, Majik.  I believe OE6/WinXP doesn't have it.

However, an OL MVP recently stated that the presence of the share option was
instead dependent on the version of OL installed.  He stated that OL 2002
and 2000 (but not 2003) enabled it but Sue Mosher's page contradicts this:
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm.
--
~PA Bear

>> When you set Outlook or OE or even Eudora or something else as the
>> default email program, it will become the default for all users. Thats
>> one thing I want to get to fixing SP2 when it's beta starts.

>> When Outlook is the default and the Address Book is set to be shared, all
>> contacts will be in Outlook's contacts and not in the Windows Address
>> Book's wab file. Outlook stores them in it's .pst file.

>> Look in Address Book's  Tools  menu, There should be an Option  | Share
>> Address Book.  If it' s set, Outlook has control of the Contacts. Uncheck
>> that to release it back to Address Book's wab file.

>>> This could be complicated.  I have checked the registry
>>> and the folder containing the WAB file I want to access
>>> is correctly identified.  The date of the file is
>>> 11/13/03.  I know I have added contacts since this date.
>>> So the contacts I'm adding are finding their way to some
>>> other location.

>>> The contact list/address book I'm trying to change is my
>>> wife's.  I previously attempted to load Outlook 2000 on
>>> my PC which uses XP home and has three separately
>>> designated users with personalized desk tops.  After I
>>> installed OL2000 (I thought for myself) I discovered that
>>> it changed EVERY USERS ACCESS to OL2000.  This was not
>>> desired.  I have since attempted to reestablish the
>>> connection for my wife to OE.

>>> Did the change to OL2000 change the file (and folder)
>>> where her contacts are stored?  When I search for WAB
>>> files none of them are dated after 11/13/2003 so I
>>> suspect that the contacts are no longer stored in a WAB
>>> file.

>>> I tried to access the OL2000 community group but unable
>>> to get to the posting site.  Instead I'm given a bunch of
>>> other alternatives to get help for OL2000.

Post by DGues » Sat, 20 Dec 2003 05:37:38

I thought it was just with Outlook XP (2002) and Outlook 2003 installed
which I have both on my XP setups and Win2k has Outlook 2000.

> I'm not certain the Tools>share... option is present in all (or any)
> versions of OE6, Majik.  I believe OE6/WinXP doesn't have it.

> However, an OL MVP recently stated that the presence of the share option
was
> instead dependent on the version of OL installed.  He stated that OL 2002
> and 2000 (but not 2003) enabled it but Sue Mosher's page contradicts this:
> http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm.
> --
> ~PA Bear

> >> When you set Outlook or OE or even Eudora or something else as the
> >> default email program, it will become the default for all users. Thats
> >> one thing I want to get to fixing SP2 when it's beta starts.

> >> When Outlook is the default and the Address Book is set to be shared,
all
> >> contacts will be in Outlook's contacts and not in the Windows Address
> >> Book's wab file. Outlook stores them in it's .pst file.

> >> Look in Address Book's  Tools  menu, There should be an Option  | Share
> >> Address Book.  If it' s set, Outlook has control of the Contacts.
Uncheck
> >> that to release it back to Address Book's wab file.

Post by PA Bea » Sat, 20 Dec 2003 05:50:19

OE5.5/Win98SE had the share option without OL being installed.  It's gone in
OE6.
--
~PA Bear

>> I thought it was just with Outlook XP (2002) and Outlook 2003 installed
>> which I have both on my XP setups and Win2k has Outlook 2000.

>>> I'm not certain the Tools>share... option is present in all (or any)
>>> versions of OE6, Majik.  I believe OE6/WinXP doesn't have it.

>>> However, an OL MVP recently stated that the presence of the share
>>> option was instead dependent on the version of OL installed.  He stated
>>> that OL 2002 and 2000 (but not 2003) enabled it but Sue Mosher's page
>>> contradicts this: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm.
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Post by DGues » Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:28:24

I've got OE6 on Win2k and it's there in Adress Book. XP, well, thats
something different. I'll have to install Outlook 2000 on it to see what it
shows. Thought I had installed it on that one but nope, nothing installed on
it and it's about to want to be activated so I'll try to get it installed
before formating it. Maybe I stuck it on Longhorn? I used that computer for
it as well till I removed it for reinstallation again later.

Outlook 2002 just blew up from another beta. Gonna use the repair option on
it then file a bug or two if it restores it then I'm ditching it. That'll
make them happy to find that out.