Removing unwanted browser add-ins

Post by Andrew Doyl » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:54:58

I tried this media search bar to my IE browser as an "add-
in", similar in lay out to ones like Google's bar, etc.,
but this add-in, called "vquprluoatr" is a total pain and
is a major annoyance. The main thing, however, is that I
can't get rid of it. It doesn't show up in the add-remove
program database for removal that way, and it reloads
itself everytime the browswer is opened; and, if you
click it off, like you would, say, the Google bar, it
reloads down at the bottom of the screen over the quick
launch area. It's a hassle pure and simple; so, what I'm
asking to any one that may know, is, how to you best go
about getting rid of unwanted browser "add-ins" or "add-
ons?" I can't find anything relevant to this on knowledge
forums and the like. Thanks in advance for any help in
this regard.

Regards,

Andrew Doyle

Removing unwanted browser add-ins

Post by Jim Byr » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:10:49

Hi Andrew - It sounds like you've been hijacked.  If you go to this page
at Jim Eshelman's site, here:  http://www.veryComputer.com/
little bit (be patient), an analysis of a number of possible parasites
on your machine will be made to help you identify and remove them.
NOTE:  You will need to disable Ad Blocking in Zone Alarm 3.x, if
present or any other Ad Blocking software which interferes with Java
Scripting for this scan to work.  You should get a message between the
two lines of **** giving the results of the scan.

For the general hijack case, the best way to start is to get Ad-Aware
6.0, Build 162 or later, here:
http://www.veryComputer.com/;Update and run this
regularly to get rid of most "spyware/hijackware" on your machine.

Another excellent program for this purpose is SpyBot Search and Destroy
available here:  http://www.veryComputer.com/;SpyBot Support Forum here:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
I recommend using both normally.

Lastly, a very useful utility for examining your system and correcting
problems is Hijack This, which you can download here:
http://www.veryComputer.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip  See also,
HijackThis Quick Start Help, http://www.veryComputer.com/(Recommended)
This site has a number of useful references and information also:
http://www.veryComputer.com/;and here
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Next, go here:  http://www.veryComputer.com/'s
Startup Control Panel applet.   A somewhat more difficult to use but
more extensive program to do the same thing is StartupList from here:
http://www.veryComputer.com/~nicefiles/index.html, or even better, Autoruns
from here:
http://www.veryComputer.com/#autoruns.  Be very
careful about doing any Registry modifications directly unless you're
comfortable with this, and be sure that you BACKUP your Registry before
making any changes, so that you can recover if something goes wrong.
Changes made with StartUpCPL are less likely to cause problems, and are
usually a matter of just re-enabling the particular program.  Another
program of this type that I can recommend is StartMan, free, here:
http://www.veryComputer.com/; If you
have problems with suspected hijackers, you can look up and investigate
suspect programs in your StartUp lists here:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
(Recommended)
http://www.veryComputer.com/(Recommended)
http://www.veryComputer.com/(Recommended)
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Some hijackers install themselves as Browser Helper Objects.  Get BHOCop
here:  BHO Cop http://www.veryComputer.com/,4149,270,00.asp
(Unfortunately, no longer free from that link but you can read about it
there, and here is a direct download link for it:
http://www.veryComputer.com/) and take
a look at what BHO's are currently installed.  Some things like AdShield
and Acrobat are normal, but if you see something that doesn't make any
sense, try disabling it and see if that helps.  Another excellent
program for this same purpose is BHODemon, (still free) here:
http://www.veryComputer.com/;I would recommend both.  You can
also check/control BHO's using the Tools function of SpyBot S&D.

There's good information about hijacking and fixes available here:

Andrew Clover's parasite page:  http://www.veryComputer.com/
(Highly recommended)
Robert Allen's parasite page:  http://www.veryComputer.com/
(Highly recommended)
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/(links here for .reg files
to lock and unlock your homepage, BTW.  You can also use this program to
toggle locking/unlocking of your homepage:
http://www.veryComputer.com/;Recommended)
http://www.veryComputer.com/#home_page

Also, there's a new class of hijacker using Window's Messenger Service
(not Instant Messaging, BTW).   Unless you have very good reasons to
keep this active, it should be turned off in Win2k and XP.  Go here and
do what it says:  http://www.veryComputer.com/.*ia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
or, even better, get MessageSubtract, free, here, which will give you
flexible control of the service and viewing of these messages:
http://www.veryComputer.com/;Recommended.  Also,
see:  Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Adverti*t
Appears  http://www.veryComputer.com/

Once you get this cleaned up, you might want to consider installing the
Browser Hijack Blaster, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard here to help
prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future:
http://www.veryComputer.com/(Prevents malware BHO's)
http://www.veryComputer.com/(Prevents malware
Active X installs)  (BTW, SpyWare Blaster is not memory resident ... no
CPU or memory load - but keep it updated)  The latest version as of this
writing will prevent installation or prevent the malware from running if
it is already installed, and it provides information and fixit-links for
a variety of parasites.
http://www.veryComputer.com/(Monitors for attempts
to install malware)  All three  Very Highly Recommended.

See if any of this helps and post back with your results.  Regards, Jim
Byrd