Shell32.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found

Shell32.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found

Post by Captain Pik » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:15:26

This is the message I get when trying to register "Shell32.dll"  here is the
rest of the message:

"DllRegisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of Shell32.dll
may be in memory.  Consider using PView to detect and remove it."

     I have tried all the previous suggestions and checked out several
articles that were suggested, but to no avail.  How and/or where can I get
this "PView.exe" program and how would I go about using it to detect and
remove the corrupt version of "Shell32.dll" that is in memory?

     I have tried re-installing IE6 several times.  I have tried the repair
function in "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel.  I am running Win98
SE on a Pentium 3 HP Pavilion.  All the other .dll files that were suggested
to register (in fixing hyperlink problem - get IE window frame that just
hangs there...)

Any help?
Thanks...
John (Captain Pike) D

Shell32.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found

Post by Rob » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:02:56

Error Found and Pview reference :

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q249/8/73.ASP
Explanation of Regsvr32 Usage and Error Messages

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q207/1/32.ASP
INFO: How Regsvr32.exe Registers and Unregisters COM DLLs

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q232/5/09.ASP
Syntax for the RunOnceEx Registry Key

Also !

I would install BHOcop and Adaware to
be sure the problem is not an errant spy
utility.....

Install - Reboot - Run
http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s%253D1478%2526a%253D4453,00.asp
BHO Cop tells you what BHOs appear on your system, and lets you diagnose and resolve conflicts by temporarily disabling them. FREE

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Remove SpyWare Ads 9x/NT/2000 Ad-Aware/Adaware
Be sure to get updated reference file while there. FREE !
(Listed as Signature File on download page.)
latest is 11-24

http://members.iinet.net.au/~sandi/MVP/answers.htm#shell32
Look here....

--
Rob
Supporting Member Cascade Bicycle Club

> This is the message I get when trying to register "Shell32.dll"  here is the
> rest of the message:

> "DllRegisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of Shell32.dll
> may be in memory.  Consider using PView to detect and remove it."

>      I have tried all the previous suggestions and checked out several
> articles that were suggested, but to no avail.  How and/or where can I get
> this "PView.exe" program and how would I go about using it to detect and
> remove the corrupt version of "Shell32.dll" that is in memory?

>      I have tried re-installing IE6 several times.  I have tried the repair
> function in "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel.  I am running Win98
> SE on a Pentium 3 HP Pavilion.  All the other .dll files that were suggested
> to register (in fixing hyperlink problem - get IE window frame that just
> hangs there...)

> Any help?
> Thanks...
> John (Captain Pike) D

Shell32.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found

Post by Captain Pik » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:53:53

     When I check the Product Name of "Shell32.dll" under the version tab it
says "Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System" but I am not running
Windows NT, I'm running Windows 98.  Is THIS a part of the problem?

     Why doesn't the installation of IE6 put the correct version of
SHELL32.DLL?

Thanks,
John

Shell32.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found

Post by Rob » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:28:57

Win98SE version here :

Shell32.dll

4.72.3612.1700

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q238/7/67.ASP?
Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM Directory Listing (8 of 14)

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q188/4/34.ASP
Windows 98 CD-ROM Directory Listing (7 of 14)

--
Rob
Supporting Member Cascade Bicycle Club
P.O. Box 15165  Seattle, WA. 98115-0165
206-522-3222 and 24 hr hotline 206-522-BIKE
http://www.cascade.org

>      When I check the Product Name of "Shell32.dll" under the version tab it
> says "Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System" but I am not running
> Windows NT, I'm running Windows 98.  Is THIS a part of the problem?

>      Why doesn't the installation of IE6 put the correct version of
> SHELL32.DLL?

> Thanks,
> John

Shell32.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found

Post by Captain Pik » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:58:50

     That's the version I have, but it says MS WINDOWS NT - Huh?  I'm still
not having ANY luck in solving this problem.  I tried the BHOcop and found
an incorrectly registered BHO and I removed it, but that didn't solve any
problems.  I even tried RE-installing IE6 (for the ump*th time) and STILL
I have the problem.

     Why does it suggest using PView "to detect and remove" the corrupt
version in memory or fix the problem - PView is a Windows NT program, not a
WIN98 program?

John

Shell32.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found

Post by Doc » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:54:44

Did you run Adaware ?

Look in win.ini.... anything on LOAD= or RUN=
START - RUN - SYSEDIT

Let try this :

Reboot to DOS prompt only. Insert your Windows CD, then type: E:\setup /Pf
Substitute E with your actual CD drive letter, and P must be capitalized,
but NOT f. This will reinstall just the critical system files. If this
does not resolve your problem. Visit Windows UPdate site to get
new updates after.........

Do a over install of IE6 after :
START - FIND - IE6SETUP.EXE
select Minimal/Custom -select ALL