Lost sent mail in Outlook Express

Post by run3f » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 05:58:12

Sent Folder eliminated 2 years worth of sent mail on my computer where
did it go and can I retreve it?

Lost sent mail in Outlook Express

Post by Bruce Hage » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 06:04:09

The two most common reasons for what you describe is disruption of the
compacting process, (never touch anything until it's finished), and bloated
folders. More on that below.

Why does OE insist on compacting folders when I close it?:
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#compact

Why Mail Disappears:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone

About File Corruption:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption....

Recovery tools:

If you are using a fully patched version of XP/SP2, see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918069/en-us

If not:

DBXpress run in Disk Mode is the best chance to recover messages:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

And see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#4

A general warning if you don't want to lose your messages in the future:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move
your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

And backup often.

Backup and Restore:

http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/

http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

           Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express
              ~IB-CA~

Quote:> Sent Folder eliminated 2 years worth of sent mail on my computer where
> did it go and can I retreve it?

Lost sent mail in Outlook Express

Post by scott tarse » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:31:12

hi

Quote:> Sent Folder eliminated 2 years worth of sent mail on my computer where
> did it go and can I retreve it?

Lost sent mail in Outlook Express

Post by Steve Cochra » Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:07:21

The only thing that might help is DBXpress.  It has an exclusive extract
from disk feature that will read the entire hard drive disk clusters and not
just the clusters associated with files.  Its been very successful for many
with such issues.  See www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/

For the future make sure you see points 2 and 3 here:
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2

steve

Quote:> Sent Folder eliminated 2 years worth of sent mail on my computer where
> did it go and can I retreve it?

1. Lost Outlook express mail, sent mail, deleted mail,

When I "upgraded" to XP from ME . I lost all of my old e-
mail. I had kept tons of sent mail in that folder, and
tons of deleted mail in that folder, as well as old e-
mails in the inbox. when I installed XP Home edtion all
of that went away and the new e-mail is all that is in
Outlook Express. Anyone know how to get all my old mail
back? Is it lost forever? I had some really important
stuff in there. Thanks for any help and please e-mail me

much, Michael

2. Hibernate

3. Outlook Express 6.0 lost the mail in Inbox, Sent and Drafts

4. How To Restore Prompt (Association) Window

5. Outlook Express Mail: Unable to Send Mail

6. 10 meg mystery file!!!

7. Outlook Express wont download pop3 mail on specific PC - Calling Outlook Express experts.

8. Repair IE6?????

9. Unable to send mail using Outlook Express

10. Receive/Send mails using Outlook Express through LAN

11. Outlook Express sending mail problem

12. Outlook Express crashes when sending more than 1 mail

13. HELP - Outlook Express/XP lost mail