Running Java apps

Post by Lenny Johnso » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:58:52

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Does anybody know how to enable my browser (V6, SP1) to
>run Java apps? Whenever I want to download one, it
>says "Your browser has been set so that you can not run
>Java applets."
>Thanks for your help.
>.
>Download java scripting from www.java.com.

Running Java apps

Post by Luke » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:54:10

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

> [...]

1. Java app calling Java app through command.com loses env vars

I'm starting to use a product that has one step of its installation/setup that
is a cmd script that calls a Java application that ends up using command.com to
call another Java application.  The last Java application needs to references
environment variables set in the cmd script.

In Windows 2000, this process works fine.  The last Java application sees the
environment variables fine.  In Windows XP, however, the last Java application
seems to have no environment variables (I've only tried several, but I haven't
checked to see if there are any at all).

I wish they had written this process better (as the second Java application has
a relatively easy-to-use API that they could have just called directly from the
first Java application), but they didn't.  I don't expect them to re-architect
this any time soon.

The question I have is, is there something that changed between Win2k and WinXP
in the area of calling other applications through command.com, such that a
downstream called application wouldn't be able to get any environment
variables?

Is there something they're supposed to use instead of "command.com" for this
sort of thing?  I know there's "cmd" and "command", and "cmd" appears to be
much more functional, but I don't know a lot about the differences between
them.

David M. Karr          ; Java/J2EE/XML/Unix/C++

2. Game and phone dialer enquiry

3. How do I run a Java App?

4. ie restarts

5. Cannot run Java Applets that use the latest Java plugin

6. Can't open this link!

7. Can I use the java VM of a browser to run a standalone java application?

8. Reboot Windows 95 Daily

9. App window disappears but app process still running

10. CAB questions: 1) run app after install 2) installed multiple apps

11. Trying to close a running app that's running off CD-ROM

12. Slow running when Java Run-time is on

13. evc++ and building apps to run on iPAQ running PPC3.0