Outlook Express 6.0 lost the mail in Inbox, Sent and Drafts

Outlook Express 6.0 lost the mail in Inbox, Sent and Drafts

Post by Mike Far » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 15:32:40

I have 2 identities on my Outlook Express (The Main and my
wife's).  I left OE set to my wife's identity and the
system running connected via DSL with a firewall.  48
hours later I return and note no sign of being DSL-
connected in the bottom right corner, so I click Earthlink
to reconnect.  I get an "already connected message".  I
start OE and log onto the Main Identity.  I have a welcome
to OE 6 message in my Inbox, nothing else.  (I should have
plenty of old read letters there).  I restart the
computer, start OE again.  I now receive 20 new pieces of
mail, but my Inbox, Sent, and Draft Folders are empty
(they should have a lot of mail).  Other folders I have
created are OK and have their saved mail.  The mail
message rules which should have directed some of the 20
new mail messages into these folders have not worked and
are marked with a red X indicating that the folders are
not specified.

How can I restore my lost mail in the Inbox, Sent and
Draft folders?

Outlook Express 6.0 lost the mail in Inbox, Sent and Drafts

Post by Steve Cochra » Sat, 02 Mar 2002 19:50:40

You can try running DBXtract on the dbx files for that identity.  Search for *.dbx, in case OE decided to create a new message store.  Also search for *.dbt and run DBXtract on any that you find.

http://chattanooga.net/~scochran/DBXtract.htm

In the future, turn off background compaction under Tools | Options | Maintenance and compact manually and frequently using File | Folder | Compact all.  That feature has been implicated in contributing to message store corruption.

Also, back up your important email.  See www.tomsterdam.com

steve

> I have 2 identities on my Outlook Express (The Main and my
> wife's).  I left OE set to my wife's identity and the
> system running connected via DSL with a firewall.  48
> hours later I return and note no sign of being DSL-
> connected in the bottom right corner, so I click Earthlink
> to reconnect.  I get an "already connected message".  I
> start OE and log onto the Main Identity.  I have a welcome
> to OE 6 message in my Inbox, nothing else.  (I should have
> plenty of old read letters there).  I restart the
> computer, start OE again.  I now receive 20 new pieces of
> mail, but my Inbox, Sent, and Draft Folders are empty
> (they should have a lot of mail).  Other folders I have
> created are OK and have their saved mail.  The mail
> message rules which should have directed some of the 20
> new mail messages into these folders have not worked and
> are marked with a red X indicating that the folders are
> not specified.

> How can I restore my lost mail in the Inbox, Sent and
> Draft folders?

1. Lost Outlook express mail, sent mail, deleted mail,

When I "upgraded" to XP from ME . I lost all of my old e-
mail. I had kept tons of sent mail in that folder, and
tons of deleted mail in that folder, as well as old e-
mails in the inbox. when I installed XP Home edtion all
of that went away and the new e-mail is all that is in
Outlook Express. Anyone know how to get all my old mail
back? Is it lost forever? I had some really important
stuff in there. Thanks for any help and please e-mail me

much, Michael

2. router does a not wanted auto dial out to provider

3. Outlook express 6.0 wont send mail

4. Passing SAFEARRAYs through events

5. Sending mail in Outlook Express 6.0 via 'Bcc:'

6. COM1 port

7. Lost sent mail in Outlook Express

8. wxWindows versus QT

9. Outlook Express - Sending Draft Message

10. Lost mail folders/inbox items during IE 6.0 Install

11. Duplicate messages sent when sending attachments using Outlook Express 6.0

12. Outlook Express Mail: Unable to Send Mail

13. Duplicate Outlook Express 6.0 email inbox messages