how do I backup OE mail, address book and reload it?

how do I backup OE mail, address book and reload it?

Post by whyKno » Fri, 21 May 2004 10:42:18

I have Windows XP home edition which I'm not seeing a backup feature in.  So
I have to do this "manually".

Here's the story....my hard drive is rapidly dying.  Bad clusters and bad
sectors are multiplying by the hour.  I'm well over 1800 now and I first
noticed bad sectors only a few weeks ago (when I found them, they were
already at 224 bad sectors).  I can't repair them with the GWSCAN feature
that Gateway provides on its drivers CD. I have a new HD on the way from
Gateway.  The hardware I can do, no sweat......the software is another
story.

How do I back up my OE mail box and all inbox, sent and draft mail, as well
as the address book and how do I save my "favorites" for IE?  And once I do
that, how do I get the settings back into the newly loaded and outdated
software?

What a pain this is going to be!  The software is all old but I kept it up
with continually and faithfully updating it and with the patches, etc.  I
won't even know where to start with all of this to get back up to where I am
know (save the dying HD).  What really gets me is seeing so many of my
friends and coworkers who don't even bother with virus scans routinely much
less updating patches, etc., and I, on the other hand, am extremely vigilant
about all that, yet I'm the one who's had two hard drives go bad within two
years.  The techs at the Gateway store replaced the last one and backed my
system up and loaded everything back in, seeing as how my system was only a
year old, but that's not an option now, so I'm not really familiar with how
to do all this.
Thank you for any help you can offer.

how do I backup OE mail, address book and reload it?

Post by Bruce Hage » Fri, 21 May 2004 10:50:33

Freebie backup tool for everything in OE:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

For Favorites, Windows Explorer>Local* C>Documents and
Settings>Your user name. Right click on Favorites and Send to - your
choice.

--
Bruce Hagen
   ~IB-CA~

Quote:> I have Windows XP home edition which I'm not seeing a backup
feature in.  So