Addresses and Contacts

Post by Harold Clout » Mon, 10 Jan 2005 02:49:02

I have recently statred using a machine with Windows XP service pack 2. This
also has Office installed.

I have set up a number of 'users' - one one of these users I am using
Outlook Express with a number of identities. I moved the folders and address
book from my old machine sucessfully.

Unfortunately I have a need to use Outlook with one application. Since this
has been used the address book and contacts on Outlook Express has been
'hijacked'. All the support entries on this site clearly state that Outlook
Express uses a .wab file in applicationdata/addressbook. The content of this
file is correct but it is obvious that this is not the file being used by OE.

OE now has one address book instead of a subset for each identity. Some of
the identities have contact whilst others do not.

A number of questions then:-
(1) Has Outlook 'hijacked' my address book?
(2) How do I get OE to use the correct one?
(3) Is it possible to prevent Outlook from Hijacking it again?
(4) Why is this not documented in any of the microsoft knowledge entries?

Any help appreciated.

Addresses and Contacts

Post by Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/O » Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:34:33

Quote:> I have recently statred using a machine with Windows XP service pack
> 2. This also has Office installed.

> I have set up a number of 'users' - one one of these users I am using
> Outlook Express with a number of identities. I moved the folders and
> address book from my old machine sucessfully.

> Unfortunately I have a need to use Outlook with one application.
> Since this has been used the address book and contacts on Outlook
> Express has been 'hijacked'. All the support entries on this site
> clearly state that Outlook Express uses a .wab file in
> applicationdata/addressbook. The content of this file is correct but
> it is obvious that this is not the file being used by OE.

> OE now has one address book instead of a subset for each identity.
> Some of the identities have contact whilst others do not.

> A number of questions then:-
> (1) Has Outlook 'hijacked' my address book?
> (2) How do I get OE to use the correct one?
> (3) Is it possible to prevent Outlook from Hijacking it again?
> (4) Why is this not documented in any of the microsoft knowledge
> entries?

> Any help appreciated.

In OE open the Address Book and click Tools | Options and uncheck the option
to share with Outlook.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup only.  Do not send email

Addresses and Contacts

Post by Michael Santove » Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:36:48

When both Outlook and Outlook Express are installed, Outlook Express can be set to use the
Outlook Contacts rather than a WAB file.  This is documented for Outlook98 and 2000.

OL98: (IMO) WAB Entries No Longer Available After Outlook Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192080

OL98: (IMO) How Do I Share Information Between Outlook and OE
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=179505
OL2000: (IMO) How Do I Share Information Between Outlook and OE
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=196348

For newer versions of Outlook, some tweaks are required:

To share Contacts between Outlook and Outlook Express
http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oeshare.htm

Quote:>I have recently statred using a machine with Windows XP service pack 2. This
> also has Office installed.

> I have set up a number of 'users' - one one of these users I am using
> Outlook Express with a number of identities. I moved the folders and address
> book from my old machine sucessfully.

> Unfortunately I have a need to use Outlook with one application. Since this
> has been used the address book and contacts on Outlook Express has been
> 'hijacked'. All the support entries on this site clearly state that Outlook
> Express uses a .wab file in applicationdata/addressbook. The content of this
> file is correct but it is obvious that this is not the file being used by OE.

> OE now has one address book instead of a subset for each identity. Some of
> the identities have contact whilst others do not.

> A number of questions then:-
> (1) Has Outlook 'hijacked' my address book?
> (2) How do I get OE to use the correct one?
> (3) Is it possible to prevent Outlook from Hijacking it again?
> (4) Why is this not documented in any of the microsoft knowledge entries?

> Any help appreciated.

1. How do I get my address book contacts to contacts page

Dear friends,
Would you pls tell me how can I get all my address book contacts to contacts
page.When I mean "contacts page" is the one that display down from the folder
directory in out look express.ANd the address book is the one that everybody
has in outlook express.
Even I try to make a new contact from "contact page" and it goes to address
book.There is a message in contacts page that says "there is not any contact
to show" but I have 2000 in teh address book.If it is because of the number
of contacts I have do you know any solution?
Thank you
Thank you

2. The Specified domain does not exist - new install of XP - HELP!!

3. How to export and import contacts to each other between Address Book and Hotmail Web Contacts?

4. Browsing PDA

5. OE Address Book - Contact with Multiple Email Addresses

6. [Q} AnimCtrl

7. Purpose of multiple email address in address book contacts?

8. Uninstalling Netscape from W95

9. Video Spigot contact address? Fax?

10. When Windows Address Book entries reach 1000, the contacts no longer show in

11. Contact not in address book, OE6 says it is

12. address book contacts

13. Address book, cannot see all contacts