Outlook or OE?

Post by Tom » Fri, 21 May 2004 05:24:20

I've started looking at email client options, which explains my now trying
OE.  I'm just wondering if others here have also tried Outlook, and if so,
what they think about how these two compare for email usage.  I don't want
to install Outlook (I have Office XP available) unless it is worthwhile.

So far, it seems that Outlook allows you to choose from multiple signature
files for each outgoing email, and it looks like OE does not.

One thing I don't like about OE is that it will not let you select part of
an opened message, and then just quote that part of the message when
replying to it (which Pegasus does).  But looking at Outlook 2002 on my
office machine, makes it look like Outlook also will not do this.

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

Outlook or OE?

Post by PA Bea » Fri, 21 May 2004 05:59:26

OL vs. OE
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257824

You can assign a different, default signature for each mail account in OE.
--
HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org

Protect Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect

> I've started looking at email client options, which explains my now trying
> OE.  I'm just wondering if others here have also tried Outlook, and if so,
> what they think about how these two compare for email usage.  I don't want
> to install Outlook (I have Office XP available) unless it is worthwhile.

> So far, it seems that Outlook allows you to choose from multiple signature
> files for each outgoing email, and it looks like OE does not.

> One thing I don't like about OE is that it will not let you select part of
> an opened message, and then just quote that part of the message when
> replying to it (which Pegasus does).  But looking at Outlook 2002 on my
> office machine, makes it look like Outlook also will not do this.

1. Want IE 6 to use OE to Send Links - stuck on uninstalled Outlook, not OE

At one point, this PC had Outlook installed on it with MS Office 97, Office
97 has been removed via Add/Remove programs.  Now using OE 6 and IE6. OE  is
set as the default mail program under Tools Options in OE.
Outlook Express is also listed in IE6 as the Email program. Outlook is not
even a choice.

However, every time I try to send a link or a page, the 'Choose Profile'
window comes up with a drop down list box containing the pre-filled line:
'Microsoft Outlook Internet Settings'.  This looks like it is still using
Outlook instead of OE.

How do I get the IE 6 to be able to use OE again and not Outlook?

Registry keys are:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\Protocols]

"EditFlags"=hex:02,00,00,00
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook
Express\Protocols\mailto\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook
Express\Protocols\mailto\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook Express\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Clients\Mail\Outlook

--
Mary Gayle Lord

2. Zone not working for me.

3. Some times Outlook starts and not OE, how can I make OE my default

4. No audio on return from stand-by

5. OE^ keeps crashing after Outlook?OE address book hack

6. Windows Write-Any shareware alternatives

7. MS OfficeXP's Outlook removed Outlook Express -- how to get OE back?

8. Infrared <-- to/from --> Serial interface

9. MS OfficeXP's Outlook destroyed Outlook Express--how do I get OE back?

10. How can I export email from OE to a particular folder in Outlook 2002?

11. upgrading to Outlook Express 6 from OE 5

12. Exporting mail messages from Outlook Express 4 to OE 6

13. open dbx OE files Win Millenium in MS Outlook with Windows XP