dbx files with (1) extension

Post by cro.. » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:13:48

I see some files in my filepath that have what looks like (1) after
them, example:  Mari (1).dbx

When I try to rename these, it says either my syntax is wrong or that
the file cannot be found.  I trying using the (1) as parenthese and as
the greater than and lesser than symbols.  I tried it with and without
a space after Mari.  I also tried creating an OE folder called Mari (1)
in hopes the files would come in, but they didn't.

Many of these files have HUGE contents, and I think they may be some of
my older lost messages, the ones I am trying to use DBXpress on to
recover, but so far w/o success.

Ideas?  Concepts?  Notions?  HELP?

And while we are discussing OE...I don't want this to keep
happening...how does one save email folders in another location for
future reference, safekeeping, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help!

dbx files with (1) extension

Post by Steve Cochra » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 22:30:48

Run DBXpress in the extract from disk mode.

This sort of thing happens when OE finds corruption in the message store and
it adds the additional files with the (1) etc.  You should not mess with the
files or try and change the filenames as it will make things worse, as you
are finding out.

You need to set up a new Identity via File | Identities and then make sure
you see points 2 and 3 here:  www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx and backup
frequently.  You can use File | Import to get the messages from the intact
folders in the older Identity.

steve

Quote:>I see some files in my filepath that have what looks like (1) after
> them, example:  Mari (1).dbx

> When I try to rename these, it says either my syntax is wrong or that
> the file cannot be found.  I trying using the (1) as parenthese and as
> the greater than and lesser than symbols.  I tried it with and without
> a space after Mari.  I also tried creating an OE folder called Mari (1)
> in hopes the files would come in, but they didn't.

> Many of these files have HUGE contents, and I think they may be some of
> my older lost messages, the ones I am trying to use DBXpress on to
> recover, but so far w/o success.

> Ideas?  Concepts?  Notions?  HELP?

> And while we are discussing OE...I don't want this to keep
> happening...how does one save email folders in another location for
> future reference, safekeeping, etc.?

> Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Can not read DBX Extension files

When trying to save inbox etc folders from Outlook express
to CD, I am told to copy the folders with the DBX
extension.
However only a few messages are readable and only when
opened via Notepad or Word. What programme can I use to
read.

Much obliged if someone can help me.

Gerard

2. internet explorer engine for distribution???

3. Retreiving OE .dbx extensions messages:

4. Java VM

5. .dbx extensions

6. i forgot to mention...

7. opening .dbx extensions

8. W95 starts only OK in SAFE-Mode !?

9. Folder Options File Extensions missing correct extensions

10. Saving a dbx file as a directory of eml files?

11. Lost quite a few *.dbx files after File Compact

12. File size limit for dbx file

13. .DBX files wont refresh new file sizes - Help!