Access to some Secure Sites, but not others

Access to some Secure Sites, but not others

Post by FedUp&Frustrate » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 05:40:38

I originally posted this as a reply.  Thought it would do
some good here instead!

I have been watching this problem excaserbate in this
newsgroup and no one seems to know what or why this
problem exists.  I have reviewed all of my settings and
followed all of these suggestions and still I cannot
access some, not all, but some secure websites.  In
addition, I have noticed in the advanced tab under
security that PCT 1.0 is not listed.  I have also noticed
there are a minimal amount of certificates available for
Authenticode settings as well as the ability to set
security through the Network settings!

Does anyone have a clue as to this issue and how to fix
it?  It's only in IE not in any other browsers!

Totally,

FedUp&Frustrated

Access to some Secure Sites, but not others

Post by JTee » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 12:40:08

I have noticed that there has been many posts on this topic as well. I
wanted to clairify one thing with you and others as well on this subject.
When you say "secure" sites do you mean "https" sites or normal http sites
that require passwords? My reason for asking is I have someone that is using
IE6 and can't access a web site that simply requires a network
username/password. This is a password protected site but not a secure site.
He can view secure sites without any problem. When trying to access the
password protected site the browser displays the "page cannot be displayed"
page. It is not the web site because I can access the site with my PC using
IE6 and the same security settings that he has. He has spent time with his
PC manufacturer trying to resolve the problem with no success.

I know this didn't help solve your problem but you know you are not alone on
this.

It is VERY frustrating!!!!

Quote:> I originally posted this as a reply.  Thought it would do
> some good here instead!

> I have been watching this problem excaserbate in this
> newsgroup and no one seems to know what or why this
> problem exists.  I have reviewed all of my settings and
> followed all of these suggestions and still I cannot
> access some, not all, but some secure websites.  In
> addition, I have noticed in the advanced tab under
> security that PCT 1.0 is not listed.  I have also noticed
> there are a minimal amount of certificates available for
> Authenticode settings as well as the ability to set
> security through the Network settings!

> Does anyone have a clue as to this issue and how to fix
> it?  It's only in IE not in any other browsers!

> Totally,

> FedUp&Frustrated

Access to some Secure Sites, but not others

Post by FedUp&Frustrate » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 13:27:43

After several weeks and too many countless hours, I
finally got IE6 to do what I and others have been
expecting it to do!

First of all, the sites I was talking about were HTTPS
sites.  I've always thought of secure sites as being
HTTPS versus sites you log on to within the browser
itself.

Anyway, here's what I ended up doing to fix the problem.
Although the answer is too simple and as usual I was
looking too deep for the problem:

Just reinstall the OS in accordance with this link:
us;315341.  Although this will require all the updates
and fixes to the OS and may lead to the possibility of
losing data, but if you pay close attention to the
article you can avoid the loss of data.

I believe the issue is directly related to the way the
hotfixes and security patches are installed.  I did NOT
install SP1 when it was first released as I noticed it
would slow down my system and take forever to get to the
desktop, but I continued to patch the OS and IE as the
patches came out.  At some point this issue began and
when it did it was not obvious as I do NOT frequent many
HTTPS sites.  The first clue that the problem exists is
if the site you are trying to get access to normally
brings up an authentication window requiring your user
name and password and it stops bringing the window up,
then the last thing changed caused it.  Don't know for
sure what the last thing I did, but I can tell you that
after every update, patch, fix, hotfix, etc... the first
thing I'm going to do is test to see if I can still gain
access to a secure site (HTTPS).

I will be monitoring my systems for any changes that take
place after this and will report the issue to MS with as
much detail as possible, if and when this issue starts
again!

Hope this helps.  If not, at least I tried :-)

FedUp&Frustrated

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have noticed that there has been many posts on this
topic as well. I
>wanted to clairify one thing with you and others as well
on this subject.
>When you say "secure" sites do you mean "https" sites or
normal http sites
>that require passwords? My reason for asking is I have

someone that is using
Quote:>IE6 and can't access a web site that simply requires a
network
>username/password. This is a password protected site but
not a secure site.
>He can view secure sites without any problem. When

trying to access the
Quote:>password protected site the browser displays the "page

cannot be displayed"
Quote:>page. It is not the web site because I can access the

site with my PC using
Quote:>IE6 and the same security settings that he has. He has
spent time with his
>PC manufacturer trying to resolve the problem with no
success.

>I know this didn't help solve your problem but you know

you are not alone on
>this.

>It is VERY frustrating!!!!

message

>> I originally posted this as a reply.  Thought it would
do
>> some good here instead!

>> I have been watching this problem excaserbate in this
>> newsgroup and no one seems to know what or why this
>> problem exists.  I have reviewed all of my settings and
>> followed all of these suggestions and still I cannot
>> access some, not all, but some secure websites.  In
>> addition, I have noticed in the advanced tab under
>> security that PCT 1.0 is not listed.  I have also
noticed
>> there are a minimal amount of certificates available
for
>> Authenticode settings as well as the ability to set
>> security through the Network settings!

>> Does anyone have a clue as to this issue and how to fix
>> it?  It's only in IE not in any other browsers!

>> Totally,

>> FedUp&Frustrated

>.

1. Can't access secure sites & won't d/l secure

At some point my IE 6.0 stopped letting me access secure
sites. I tried to turn my security settings to low, but it
doesn't help. I found a Microsoft bulletin that says they
are aware of the problem but have not released the fix
yet. I spend 90% of my day on secure sites. It was
suggested the I go into the reg and turn IE 6.0 to 0 and
then re-download it. I tried to do that, but when I try to
re-download it, all I get it that it cannot find the
network connection. I have used a dial-up and a network
internet connection. I am connected fine because I can
access any non-secure sites as well as my e-mail all day
long. PLEASE HELP ME! I can't find a solution for this and
I AM DESPERATE! I need to find a solution to the "cannot
d/l the d/l sites from Microsoft because the network
connection is not present. Please reconnect your network
connection and click 'retry'." I also need to find a
solution to getting back into the secure sites - all I get
now is "Page cannot be displayed". Thanks!

2. Error from the heaven

3. can not access secure web sites

4. Javascript

5. Could not access some secure web sites - Please help

6. Limiting user access to floppy and cd drives

7. Not Accessing Secure Sites

8. Changing the cursor

9. Can not access secure site

10. Not able to access secure server sites on email pages to order

11. IE 6.0 SP1 - Will Not Redirect When Accessing Secure Sites

12. IE6 not allowing me to view some of my most accessed/ secure sites

13. can not access https secure web sites