IE repair

Post by wa0.. » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 04:52:53

When I go to Add/Remove programs, there is no item for Microsoft
Internet Explorer.  I therefore can not do a "repair" or anything else
with this program.

I'm running IE 6.  How does one get an entry in Add/Remove for this
please?  It disapeared after I ran IEradicator, installed IE 5.5, ran
IEradicator again and reinstalled IE 6.

Henry

IE repair

Post by Chaz » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 06:51:02

Windows XP?or? If XP: Internet Explorer is listed under
Add / Remove Windows components on left side taskbar. IE6
is part of XP and cannot be removed, only disabled. If XP
see Microsoft Knowledge base# 318378.
What problems are you trying to fix? Lots of answers
here...

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>When I go to Add/Remove programs, there is no item for
Microsoft
>Internet Explorer.  I therefore can not do a "repair" or
anything else
>with this program.

>I'm running IE 6.  How does one get an entry in
Add/Remove for this
>please?  It disapeared after I ran IEradicator,

installed IE 5.5, ran
Quote:>IEradicator again and reinstalled IE 6.

>Henry
>.

IE repair

Post by wa0.. » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:32:44

Thanks Chazz, but I originally wrote I was using Win98SE.  I found the
repair, it's under MSINFO32.exe > tools > repair IE

Henry

> Windows XP?or? If XP: Internet Explorer is listed under
> Add / Remove Windows components on left side taskbar. IE6
> is part of XP and cannot be removed, only disabled. If XP
> see Microsoft Knowledge base# 318378.
> What problems are you trying to fix? Lots of answers
> here...

IE repair

Post by PA Bea » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:41:56

Just what did you think IEradicator would do, Henry?
--
HTH...Please post back to this thread

~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

| When I go to Add/Remove programs, there is no item for Microsoft
| Internet Explorer.  I therefore can not do a "repair" or anything else
| with this program.
|
| I'm running IE 6.  How does one get an entry in Add/Remove for this
| please?  It disapeared after I ran IEradicator, installed IE 5.5, ran
| IEradicator again and reinstalled IE 6.
|
| Henry

IE repair

Post by wa0.. » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 10:03:01

I was having trouble with Windows Explorer not expanding on the C:\
drive when I clicked on it's short cut even though I had the correct
switches in place.  I thought if I got rid of IE6 an went back to IE5.5
that would solve my problem.  Someone on one of the newsgroups gave me
the reference to IEradicator and I tried it.  It removed more than IE6,
it also removed a couple of files that windows needs.  After I got that
straightened out I installed IE 5.5 and that did not solve my Windows
Explorer problem, so like a dummy I used IEradicator again and then put
back the files windows needed and then reinstalled IE6.  Long winded,
but that's what happened.  I also ended up having problems with .swf
files with both IE 6 and Netscape, but I think I might have a fix on
those.

Hope this answere's your questions.  DON'T use IEradicator unless you're
really knowledgble about what you're doing.

Henry

> Just what did you think IEradicator would do, Henry?
> --
> HTH...Please post back to this thread

> ~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

> | When I go to Add/Remove programs, there is no item for Microsoft
> | Internet Explorer.  I therefore can not do a "repair" or anything else
> | with this program.
> |
> | I'm running IE 6.  How does one get an entry in Add/Remove for this
> | please?  It disapeared after I ran IEradicator, installed IE 5.5, ran
> | IEradicator again and reinstalled IE 6.
> |
> | Henry

IE repair

Post by Tim L » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:49:58

I'm trying to restore all the red X's to gif files.  I thought I
hated the banners and ads, but it's worse not knowing what they
are.  I've tried all the fixes I've read in these posts and still
have red X's everywhere.  Some images appear, most of the ads,
which seem to be from linksynergy.com...... do not appear.  Not
running any anti-spyware or anything like that.
Tim

Quote:> Windows XP?or? If XP: Internet Explorer is listed under
> Add / Remove Windows components on left side taskbar. IE6
> is part of XP and cannot be removed, only disabled. If XP
> see Microsoft Knowledge base# 318378.
> What problems are you trying to fix? Lots of answers
> here...

IE repair

Post by Tim L » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:54:13

I still can't find a Repair IE even when I run MSINFO32.exe.
Tim

> Thanks Chazz, but I originally wrote I was using Win98SE.  I
found the
> repair, it's under MSINFO32.exe > tools > repair IE

> Henry

> > Windows XP?or? If XP: Internet Explorer is listed under
> > Add / Remove Windows components on left side taskbar. IE6
> > is part of XP and cannot be removed, only disabled. If XP
> > see Microsoft Knowledge base# 318378.
> > What problems are you trying to fix? Lots of answers
> > here...

IE repair

Post by MichaelJenning » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:48:14

This will not work if you are running Windows XP.
Otherwise, copy the following into notepad, edit it so
that it is one long line, and paste that in the Run box:

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program
Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g
"C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

Select Repair when the dialogue box appears.

> I still can't find a Repair IE even when I run
> MSINFO32.exe. Tim

>> Thanks Chazz, but I originally wrote I was using
>> Win98SE. I found the repair, it's under MSINFO32.exe >
>> tools > repair IE

>> Henry

>>> Windows XP?or? If XP: Internet Explorer is listed
>>> under Add / Remove Windows components on left side
>>> taskbar. IE6 is part of XP and cannot be removed,
>>> only disabled. If XP see Microsoft Knowledge base#
>>> 318378. What problems are you trying to fix? Lots of
>>> answers here...

IE repair

Post by MichaelJenning » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 15:08:12

I will continue recommending IEradicator to
people screaming and spitting their hatred for IE.

>:^}

> I was having trouble with Windows Explorer not
> expanding on the C:\ drive when I clicked on it's short
> cut even though I had the correct switches in place. I
> thought if I got rid of IE6 and went back to IE5.5 that
> would solve my problem. Someone on one of the
> newsgroups gave me the reference to IEradicator and I
> tried it. It removed more than IE6, it also removed a
> couple of files that windows needs. After I got that
> straightened out I installed IE 5.5 and that did not
> solve my Windows Explorer problem, so like a dummy I
> used IEradicator again and then put back the files
> windows needed and then reinstalled IE6. Long winded,
> but that's what happened. I also ended up having
> problems with .swf files with both IE 6 and Netscape,
> but I think I might have a fix on those.

> Hope this answers your questions. DON'T use
> IEradicator unless you're really knowledgeable about what
> you're doing.

> Henry

>> Just what did you think IEradicator would do, Henry?
>> -- HTH...Please post back to this thread

>> ~Robear Dyer (aka PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

>>> When I go to Add/Remove programs, there is no item
>>> for Microsoft Internet Explorer. I therefore can not
>>> do a "repair" or anything else with this program.

>>> I'm running IE 6. How does one get an entry in
>>> Add/Remove for this please? It disappeared after I ran
>>> IEradicator, installed IE 5.5, ran IEradicator again
>>> and reinstalled IE 6.

>>> Henry

IE repair

Post by pam » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 18:39:30

Hello Henry
Go to microsoft knowledge base article 318378 will tell
you what you need to know.
Pam
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>When I go to Add/Remove programs, there is no item for
Microsoft
>Internet Explorer.  I therefore can not do a "repair" or
anything else
>with this program.

>I'm running IE 6.  How does one get an entry in
Add/Remove for this
>please?  It disapeared after I ran IEradicator,

installed IE 5.5, ran
Quote:>IEradicator again and reinstalled IE 6.

>Henry
>.

IE repair

Post by wa0.. » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 00:27:22

Thanks Pam, but I'm running Win98SE and not XP.  The article if for XP.

Henry

> Hello Henry
> Go to microsoft knowledge base article 318378 will tell
> you what you need to know.
> Pam

IE repair

Post by Henri Leboeu » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 01:46:19

Description of the Internet Explorer 5 Repair Tool
The Internet Explorer Repair tool can be used to diagnose and possibly fix
problems with Internet Explorer 5.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=194177 (i. e. 5, 6. W95/NT4/2000/ME Oct.
1, 2002)

Quote from the article.

If the Internet Explorer Repair Tool Verification does not work, or if
Internet Explorer 5 is not listed in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control
Panel, you may be able to start the Internet Explorer Repair tool from a
command prompt:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

NOTE: This command is case sensitive.

--

Henri Leboeuf

> I still can't find a Repair IE even when I run MSINFO32.exe.
> Tim

> > Thanks Chazz, but I originally wrote I was using Win98SE.  I
> found the
> > repair, it's under MSINFO32.exe > tools > repair IE

> > Henry

> > > Windows XP?or? If XP: Internet Explorer is listed under
> > > Add / Remove Windows components on left side taskbar. IE6
> > > is part of XP and cannot be removed, only disabled. If XP
> > > see Microsoft Knowledge base# 318378.
> > > What problems are you trying to fix? Lots of answers
> > > here...

IE repair

Post by Henri Leboeu » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 01:47:49

A hosts file (no extension) can cause images not to show if blocked.

--

Henri Leboeuf

> I'm trying to restore all the red X's to gif files.  I thought I
> hated the banners and ads, but it's worse not knowing what they
> are.  I've tried all the fixes I've read in these posts and still
> have red X's everywhere.  Some images appear, most of the ads,
> which seem to be from linksynergy.com...... do not appear.  Not
> running any anti-spyware or anything like that.
> Tim

> > Windows XP?or? If XP: Internet Explorer is listed under
> > Add / Remove Windows components on left side taskbar. IE6
> > is part of XP and cannot be removed, only disabled. If XP
> > see Microsoft Knowledge base# 318378.
> > What problems are you trying to fix? Lots of answers
> > here...

IE repair

Post by wa0.. » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 02:38:51

Thanks Henri and every else that has taken the time to help.

Henry

> Description of the Internet Explorer 5 Repair Tool
> The Internet Explorer Repair tool can be used to diagnose and possibly fix
> problems with Internet Explorer 5.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=194177 (i. e. 5, 6. W95/NT4/2000/ME Oct.
> 1, 2002)

> Quote from the article.

> If the Internet Explorer Repair Tool Verification does not work, or if
> Internet Explorer 5 is not listed in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control
> Panel, you may be able to start the Internet Explorer Repair tool from a
> command prompt:
> Click Start, and then click Run.
> In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:
> rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet
> Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

> NOTE: This command is case sensitive.

> --

> Henri Leboeuf
> Web page: http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/index.htm

> > I still can't find a Repair IE even when I run MSINFO32.exe.
> > Tim

> > > Thanks Chazz, but I originally wrote I was using Win98SE.  I
> > found the
> > > repair, it's under MSINFO32.exe > tools > repair IE

> > > Henry

IE repair

Post by wa0.. » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:44:39

When I run the command you gave from the article, I get the box with
repair, but the Uninstall is still greyed out.

Thanks

Henry

> Description of the Internet Explorer 5 Repair Tool
> The Internet Explorer Repair tool can be used to diagnose and possibly fix
> problems with Internet Explorer 5.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=194177 (i. e. 5, 6. W95/NT4/2000/ME Oct.
> 1, 2002)

> Quote from the article.

> If the Internet Explorer Repair Tool Verification does not work, or if
> Internet Explorer 5 is not listed in the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control
> Panel, you may be able to start the Internet Explorer Repair tool from a
> command prompt:
> Click Start, and then click Run.
> In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK:
> rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet
> Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

> NOTE: This command is case sensitive.

> --

> Henri Leboeuf
> Web page: http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/index.htm

> > I still can't find a Repair IE even when I run MSINFO32.exe.
> > Tim

> > > Thanks Chazz, but I originally wrote I was using Win98SE.  I
> > found the
> > > repair, it's under MSINFO32.exe > tools > repair IE

> > > Henry

1. IE repair didn't repair BROWSEUI.DLL error

Noel, I did the repair from "add remove.." (three times, alternately after
reboots, download, etc.), no help re-downloaded IE6 with nothing running
except "Explorer" and "Systray" and still when I click "Favorites" I get the
"BROWSEUI.DLL error".
Anyone have another suggestion?  Regards, JimJ

2. XP Home Cannot print to password protected network share

3. IE repair...gone in xp??

4. microsoft works

5. IE Repair Tool bug?

6. HELP: WAV files and Director